Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Tanking bosses with adds during necrotic

This week isn't too bad when it comes to tanking higher keys. I've completed few 19s and 18s already. However there are few bosses that feel like a brick wall that I can't seem to find the way to pass..

Seat 2nd boss with multi adds ramp up stacks of necrotic within 30s of the fight without any way to remove them because I always have either boss or the bird hitting me and increasing my stacks
    Maw of souls first boss add phase apply a lot of stacks if I'm unable to kite them fast enough
    Upper kara - last boss 3rd phase adds on the platform once again apply ton of stacks quickly without any solid way of dropping them..

So far these are the only bosses I've encountered that really feel like impossible barrier to cross, but i'm sure there's many. I do play guardian druid so I can't just pop AMS and clear it all off..

How do other tanks deal with multi add boss fights during necrotic?

Deleted
    As a DH tank I simply kite them using my mobility, not a big deal. I found the second boss in BRH to be worse than the first in MoS because you've got far less space to work with, especially due to the fire on the ground. You can always use a Skystep Potion if you don't have Nitro Boost from engineering to help out, should allow you to at least outrun them for a while.

Get a lock with slow ring, use stamp roar, that works for my druid.

Deleted
    MoS first boss your party members have to soak the purple puddles that swirls around the boss. Then no (or minimum) adds will spawn

Nightelf monk here.
    Shadowmeld, dodge, dodge, teleport, tigerlust, rolls.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud. - Ythisens
    Tofinish list : NOTHING CAUSE I FINALLY DID IT.
    Todo list : S;G0, New Game, Erased.

You run with dps who will do the mechanics properly and help you control those adds or you simply avoid those dungeons if that's not an option. MoS first boss is simply failing mechanics, you shouldn't be getting a big pack of adds period.

To the 2nd poster talking about BRH... you can freaking use straight up normal CC on those adds there is no point in killing them or tanking them.

But yea past that Guardian Druid isn't that great at necrotic compared to pretty much any other tank, but a lot of issues being listed are simply l2p issues for the group as a whole.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-01-20 at 10:49 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    You run with dps who will do the mechanics properly and help you control those adds or you simply avoid those dungeons if that's not an option. MoS first boss is simply failing mechanics, you shouldn't be getting a big pack of adds period.

To the 2nd poster talking about BRH... you can freaking use straight up normal CC on those adds there is no point in killing them or tanking them.

But yea past that Guardian Druid isn't that great at necrotic compared to pretty much any other tank, but a lot of issues being listed are simply l2p issues for the group as a whole.
    I think the only cc which works on the melee add is druid root or priest shackle, neither of which we have which means we can't cc it. It's even immune to paladin Repentance and the Hunter Freezing Trap. Even though both adds are undead my fear only works on the caster, so yes we do need to kill it.

So kill it? I did a BRH and a Maw this week both with a druid tank who had no issue on either

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Markatron View Post
    So kill it? I did a BRH and a Maw this week both with a druid tank who had no issue on either
    Did I ever state that we were unable to kill the boss let alone kill the add? No? All I said was that I found the second boss worse than the first in MoS, not that I found it difficult, let alone unkillable. We managed it just fine in BRH 20 yesterday.

Deleted
    Tanking MoS16 for my guild's dps alts with a puggie healer resulted in me looking for my other toons to grow rather than my monk. On top of dark slash being a pita for my monk (trinket/fort brew/trinket/zen med/trinket .... aaaaand screwed because no externals) the guys didn't soak puddles, so we got hordes of spawns which forced me to abuse all the mobility of a BrM to survive, while doing little to no dmg so we got a second wave of adds.
    As someone wrote - some things are better avoided (i.e. undergeared alts not taking care of adds quick enough, pug tank/healers, etc.) on weeks when you know it can be tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsharna View Post
    Tanking MoS16 for my guild's dps alts with a puggie healer resulted in me looking for my other toons to grow rather than my monk. On top of dark slash being a pita for my monk (trinket/fort brew/trinket/zen med/trinket .... aaaaand screwed because no externals) the guys didn't soak puddles, so we got hordes of spawns which forced me to abuse all the mobility of a BrM to survive, while doing little to no dmg so we got a second wave of adds.
    As someone wrote - some things are better avoided (i.e. undergeared alts not taking care of adds quick enough, pug tank/healers, etc.) on weeks when you know it can be tricky.
    At least next week will be a relieve for us Monks with Skittish/Fortified. :P
    Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud. - Ythisens

Deleted
    Monk -> black ox statue + mobility
    DK -> Lego cape
    Pally -> Spellwarding
    DH -> Mobility
    Druid -> deal with it
    Warrior -> deal with it

Tanking MoS16 for my guild's dps alts with a puggie healer resulted in me looking for my other toons to grow rather than my monk. On top of dark slash being a pita for my monk (trinket/fort brew/trinket/zen med/trinket .... aaaaand screwed because no externals)
    Didn't tank MOS since a while but i'd say in tyrannical 16 if you're toped before the dark slash you don't need any cd when running MV. Anyway it's a good idea to use class ring here so you can use DH too (now that i think of it i think my equip set with class ring also drops a chunk of mastery to go crit/vers heavy aka special magic defensive set).

the guys didn't soak puddles, so we got hordes of spawns which forced me to abuse all the mobility of a BrM to survive, while doing little to no dmg so we got a second wave of adds.
    get aggro, put RoP on yourself, let the dps dispatch them before RoP expires.
    Dash away if necessary.
    zug zug

what is it paladin, one zug is not enough for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    lore should be voluntary to the game. not obligatory.

Kiting mobs is your friend. I always piercing howl add packs and the tank just kites them. It's a great strategy. On my monk ring of peace is OP as fuck in m+.

I run Winter is coming in Mythic+s to help the tank out. The stun with remorseless is quite helpful.

Only one I had problems with was Inquisitor in VoW. We wiped once because I got careless and let stacks get too high. Second pull I was more proactive in kiting early and it wasn't an issue.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Balefulxd View Post
    Monk -> black ox statue + mobility
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilmoo View Post
    get aggro, put RoP on yourself, let the dps dispatch them before RoP expires.
    Dash away if necessary.
    Basically thank you both. I sometimes run myself into that internal wall where I should consider what I have available, not what I am using right now. My mind and fingers are so used to running LegSweep, my brain rather starts a rant than looks for something to change

Quote Originally Posted by Balefulxd View Post
    DK -> Lego cape
    The cape makes pulls pretty easy, you can do standard 2-3 chest pulls without the help from DPS/HEAL. Works great with random groups and it is just another reason why so many players prefer DK tanks even for low 15-keys.

For Seat/2.boss I see no other way to reset the stacks but with the cape. You can try a DPS/Pet taunt for a stack reset, but the adds can allways just jump the tank at the last second, no matter how far away he is.

But Seat is maybe not even worth mentioning. The amount of melee punishing trash and boss mechanics makes it without affixes the worst dungeon, not only in LEGION but even compared to MoP and WoD challenge modes. The last 2 bosses are just there to punish melee DPS alone with WIPE / MIN DPS / SOAK mechanics, never seen before in any other WoW addon. Not even the old and feared TBC pre-nerf dungeons or CATA dungeons were so punishing to one DPS role. While you can yolo all but Seat at 20 with random setups (MELEE HEAVY/ONLY), you are still forced to use range DPS for Seat for most affixes even for a weekly low 15. Coen was bad for a while, but Seat really took the role punishing to a new level of shit.
    -

Basically thank you both. I sometimes run myself into that internal wall where I should consider what I have available, not what I am using right now. My mind and fingers are so used to running LegSweep, my brain rather starts a rant than looks for something to change
    Transcendance is your best friend as well. Careful though, some adds are not affected by RoP (Ymiron adds, 1st mobs in Arcway, for example).