Thread: Shaman Tanks?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shaman tank? HELL YES! Shut up and take my money!

Shaman is one of those classes that actually makes sense having a 4th spec, especially when there are four elements and earth element is more tank spec oriented, just like i wrote last month in this thread.

Deleted
    Personally I'd love to see tank specs added to both shaman and warlock, with shaman having more face tanking ability. I've tanked HC's as an ele and healed demo tanks, neither had crit immunity but were otherwise very capable classes. More flavour....

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always felt that shamans should echo druids with 4 specs, earth warder tank would be a great addition and would be the first mail tank.

Come on blizz, make it happen for BFA.. *dreaming*

Blizz is so stupid from a dev PoV. Players have been clamoring for this since vanilla, it makes perfect sense, it's ACTUALLY ONE OF THE SHIELD USING CLASSES, ever since druids, the 4 spec class box was blown wide open, and tank shortage is a huge problem. Those developers need to learn to read the terrain instead of working in a bubble.

I would like to see a mail wearer outlast cloth and leather in any spec in any xpac, why is mail so squish all the time?

Shamans I would love to see as tanks, but having another druid class wouldnt be wise, Druids already are the top class played. But to have a 4th spec I'd Personally rid the Monks and make Shamans take their spells - done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zensunni View Post
    Blizz is so stupid from a dev PoV. Players have been clamoring for this since vanilla, it makes perfect sense, it's ACTUALLY ONE OF THE SHIELD USING CLASSES, ever since druids, the 4 spec class box was blown wide open, and tank shortage is a huge problem. Those developers need to learn to read the terrain instead of working in a bubble.
    Tanking shortage isnt the problem, tank knowledge is. We got too many DK's and DH's that think they can pull the whole dungeon. Everyone wants that super number class.

To quote Limmony Snickett

Cheerleader: WHO CAN'T BE BEAT?
    Audience: A DEAD HORSE!

Quote Originally Posted by Zensunni View Post
    no matter how much you want it, it isnt going to happen. shaman tanks, fourth specs. not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by dcc626 View Post
    no matter how much you want it, it isnt going to happen. shaman tanks, fourth specs. not happening.
    They said that about demon hunters.. but thanks for your vital input.

Quote Originally Posted by dcc626 View Post
    They made a lame ass time travel expansion like that made perfect sense or something, but nope, this guy say tank shaman is not going to happen NO MATTER WHAT. You better believe him.

Shamans were actually able to offtank in Vanilla and BC. They had originally quite a few aggro and defense enhancing abilities for that purpose. This was because shamans were an exclusive horde class back in Vanilla and Blizzard needed to create a balance between them and their alliance counterpart, the paladin. They found it to be unfair for horde raids to be restricted to only 2 classes that could fill a tanking role and let the alliance have 3 of them. After BC though, Horde got access to paladins and the Alliance gained shamans, so there was no longer the need for the 2 classes to mirror eachother. Thats when the "tank shaman" became unnecessary. Shamans did no longer need to fulfill an OT role in raids so the enhancement spec was turned into a 100% melee dps spec with no viable tank capabilities. Enhancement shamans were still able to tank dungeons during BC and WotLK. But in Cataclysm Blizzard killed that option as well by removing the tanking stats that reduced the chance of a boss critically hitting you (a.k.a. Defense Rating) from gear and putting it directly into tanking specs.
    Last edited by Gulamarth; 2018-05-10 at 02:27 PM.

4 Elements:

- Earth: Tank (Earth Shield, Stone Skin Totem)
    - Water: Healing (Resto Spells)
    - Fire: Ranged DPS (Lava Burst and Fire Totems)
    - Air: Melee DPS (Wind Fury etc)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radianshot View Post
    This has been going on and on and on
    Lets face it, blizzard isn't going to give us any form of tanking / survivability , even my main tank commented when we were considering a shaman app
    "no more squishy blue things in raid :/"
    4th specs for classes ain't gonna happen anytime in the near future with how blizzard's been going.
    Why not? I know balanceing is pretty hard but the game actually is more simplier to balance. Druid have 4 spes and this inst a problem. And btw shaman past days had some tanking stuff (threat generation). And i think tank shaman is a pretty good idea. Never say never.

Give a tanking spec to Hunters; isnt that the lore for Shadow Hunters?

15+ Year Old Account
    Just scrap Elemental and make them a tank. Leash up all their abilities to like 20 yard range, doesn't matter. Lightning shield could offer mitigation. Maelstrom could generate a personal absorb shield for them, constantly attacking, constant absorb shield, little boost cooldowns here and there to boost the shields when needed, etc. Totem usage. Make lightning bolt instant. Have a soul-link type mechanic with the Earth elemental while it's up.

It could be done, they just won't do it. Elemental is forever going to be that draconian caster that plays like every other caster but 10x squishier and 10x worse single target.
    Last edited by msdos; 2018-05-03 at 02:34 PM.

i like the ideas about 4 spec and so on, especially for shaman (other classes also). but i think blizz will never implement this :'(

7+ Year Old Account
    This was a dream of Vanilla and TBC enhance shaman, and imo should have been done.

Sadly blizz added 3 additional tank classes since those days, it's never going to happen. :/

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be a great idea to offer another tanking class, but why limit it to shaman? Hunters and warlocks could do ranged/pet tank similar to shaman/elemental, or as a strict melee class like survival/demon. I don't know that it would do much to lessen the shortage of tanks though, as there are tanks, and there are people that aren't. Offering another spec might make a prot warrior play a shaman, but probably not many enhance shamans play tank.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.