View Poll Results: Is this okay?

Voters
43. This poll is closed
  • Yep. Absolutely.

23 53.49%
  • No. Why aren't the parents doing these tasks?

20 46.51%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    If you make $100 per hour, this is the obvious choice. There are PLENTY of very good people (perhaps better than yourself) that need a job like this.
    100$ an hour? Lol dude almost nobody makes that.

Deleted
    Build a career FIRST, and THEN get kids.

Poor people will often forever be poor because they start with kids and then don't build a career anymore.

Deleted
    The problem is modern society is set up so that both partners need to work in order to secure a livable pension. There is no longer any room to be a housewife/househusband and even if there is one of the partners will be in a perilous situation should divorce happen because he/she will receive a low pension.

In America they solve this by granting alimony and half the 401k or whatever but in most European countries there is no such system and many have state pensions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    The problem is modern society is set up so that both partners need to work in order to secure a livable pension. There is no longer any room to be a housewife/househusband and even if there is one of the partners will be in a perilous situation should divorce happen because he/she will receive a low pension.
    Correct me if I am wrong but I believe there have only been a few decades last century where one person could earn enough to actually support a whole family.
    Before that, people all had to work, including the children or starve to death.

And they had no pension. They had to work till death or be supported by their family in their final years, which is another reason one person could not support a family with a single income.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but I believe there have only been a few decades last century where one person could earn enough to actually support a whole family.
    Before that, people all had to work, including the children or starve to death.

And they had no pension. They had to work till death or be supported by their family in their final years, which is another reason one person could not support a family with a single income.
    Yes and it still works like that in many countries. In Thailand for example children are obligated to take care of their parents and grandparents. However Thailand also grant many citizens land to build a house on and a pice of farmland on which to grow rice. After working a few month in the rice paddy they don't really need to do much else for the rest of the season but sit on their asses. I was actually shocked at the quality of life they enjoyed overall in the poorer rural areas of Thailand. Of course they don't have many mod cons or luxuries but the system seems to work surprisingly well.

Ironically it was just us westerners that was forced to work really hard to survive because of the harsh climate and the seasons and survival may have hinged on a successful crop, not so in warmer areas.
    The narrative is of course that we should be so thankful for the opportunity to work to death because our ancestors had it really hard during the freezing winters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    100$ an hour? Lol dude almost nobody makes that.
    Almost nobody has a fucking nanny.

OMG this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    So, you were doing an entirely separate job. Not exactly the same situation. It's also possible you just suck at both jobs.
    If taking care of a 1 year old was easy, then working from home at the same time wouldn't be that bad.

Other people in my field have tried the same thing as I have (working from home with a young child) and they also struggled. So if I suck at it, I guess I'm not alone. (Then again, some people treat a working from home day almost like a vacation day. I don't. I get shit done.)

The point is, taking care of an infant is VERY involved. They are very needy. They don't just sit around sleeping all day; that's nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Build a career FIRST, and THEN get kids.

Poor people will often forever be poor because they start with kids and then don't build a career anymore.
    Sometimes it takes too long to build a career though. People don't wanna wait till they 40.