10+ Year Old Account

T21 4 piece and Siphon Life

Is it worth using Siphon Life when you get your 4 piece? I see people say that you should, but I'm experiencing a dps loss with it. What is the answer?
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

If RNG loves you, SC will win over SL. Otherwise SL is more consistent with 4P T21.

It's generally a ST dps increase over SC, though SC retains its potential for crazy lucky streaks (along with crazy unlucky ones). If you want to have the highest average damage, SL is usually the way to go; if you specifically want to gamble on a high parse, SC might be the way to do that albeit risky and unlikely.

As always, though: Sim yourself.

with the four set SL seems to largely outpace conduit even on high-variance attempts; it dominates the top ranks on ST antorus fights, which you wouldn't expect to see if SC were better at all

SL ftw imo though you will probably need to adapt your rotation somewhat from the crazy dumping that you did with SC.

In the end they are pretty close and some stay with SC out of preference.

SC has more potential as others have stated, but when variance kicks in and you get the terrible RNG pull(s), it feels really, REALLY bad. No more t20 to smooth that out.

That being said, I like to gamble. So for progression go SL, for parsing go SC, xd.

As said SC is more dependent on luck, but has higher potential if you're after those top parses. SL has additional benefit of self healing, which can really help on progress, also with SL you have more globals which gives better mobility. But the decicion depends also alot on which fight we're talking about, on single target and AOE heavy situations I think SC could still be better overall. The correct answer is you should change talents depending on boss and if you're progressing or just farming for better parses.

Also the results from one evening doesn't necessarily tell which one is better, because there's always lot of variables involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Is it worth using Siphon Life when you get your 4 piece? I see people say that you should, but I'm experiencing a dps loss with it. What is the answer?
    Not sure if you understand the realities of afflictions if you ask such a blanket statement. It depends on your gear (including legendaries) and player skill and it varies by the encounter. To give you an idea of the variability of what is best, for mythic parses averaged out over the 2 weeks:

Garothi: Siphon > Conduit > DE
    Felhounds: Siphon > Conduit > DE
    High Command: DE > Conduit > Siphon
    Eonar: DE > Conduit > Siphon
    Hasabel: DE > Conduit > Siphon
    Imonar: Siphon > Conduit > DE
    Kin'garoth: Siphon > Conduit > DE
    Varimathras: Conduit > Siphon > DE
    Coven: DE > Siphon > Conduit
    Aggramar: DE > Conduit > Siphon
    Argus: Conduit > Siphon > DE
    Last edited by Trend; 2018-01-24 at 08:58 PM.

why is conduit so predominant on varimathras? Is it just to have more shards to dump into adds? I was looking over ranks and that one didn't make sense to me

Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    why is conduit so predominant on varimathras? Is it just to have more shards to dump into adds? I was looking over ranks and that one didn't make sense to me
    My guess is that because you have so many more shards due to adds, the value of SC goes up accordingly. SC's damage gain is a percentage based directly on your shard expenditure, while SL is just a flat increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    Not sure if you understand the realities of afflictions if you ask such a blanket statement. It depends on your gear (including legendaries) and player skill and it varies by the encounter. To give you an idea of the variability of what is best, for mythic parses averaged out over the 2 weeks:

Garothi: Siphon > Conduit > DE
    Felhounds: Siphon > Conduit > DE
    High Command: DE > Conduit > Siphon
    Eonar: DE > Conduit > Siphon
    Hasabel: DE > Conduit > Siphon
    Imonar: Siphon > Conduit > DE
    Kin'garoth: Siphon > Conduit > DE
    Varimathras: Conduit > Siphon > DE
    Coven: DE > Siphon > Conduit
    Aggramar: DE > Conduit > Siphon
    Argus: Conduit > Siphon > DE
    This is a good response as there's a decent chance he may not have been aware of this, but it's borderline common knowledge at this point that setups such as DE with Sacro/Hood on Coven, etc. are superior. Took the question as more of a what would perform better on pure ST.