Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I know people are telling you to 'assign it a drive letter' but the drive is currently unformatted, according to windows. You can't give an unformatted drive a letter.

That said, the data isn't 'gone', just not readable right this second. Worst case scenario, a data recovery can be done. But before we get to that, there are a few options to try and recovery the partition itself.

I've used EaseUS Partition Recovery in the past to fix issues like this. Download, install, and try to see if it recognizes that drive to recover.
    I am using the EaseUS right now it seems to be working two hour process. Ill let you guys know if this did the trick.

Thanks for all the help.

- - - Updated - - -

https://imgur.com/a/tjDvS

This is what came up after running EaseUS, it wont allow me to save any of these files cause I still cant find my 1TB. I guess my question now is, is any of this look important if not how can I format it so I can use my HDD again.

Also under disk management it shows unallocated still, however if I go to device manager the SSD and HDD both show up. Crucial_ct and WDC show. When I right click on both it says everything is working properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I... dont think that's the right program? You want Partition Recovery, not Data Recovery. It should just be like "You have a missing Partition, would you like to fix it?" no files should be mentioned/involved
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mupen View Post
    I am using the EaseUS right now it seems to be working two hour process. Ill let you guys know if this did the trick.

Thanks for all the help.

- - - Updated - - -

https://imgur.com/a/tjDvS

This is what came up after running EaseUS, it wont allow me to save any of these files cause I still cant find my 1TB. I guess my question now is, is any of this look important if not how can I format it so I can use my HDD again.

Also under disk management it shows unallocated still, however if I go to device manager the SSD and HDD both show up. Crucial_ct and WDC show. When I right click on both it says everything is working properly.
    You used the wrong scan/programme.

You told it to search for files to save, instead you were supposed to search for a partition to recover.
    Deep Scanning may (and likely will as you've done) corrupt files.

I suggest you borrow someone's external HDD to temp save stuff.
    "Recover" the files you did with that scan (assuming you haven't closed it yet, because that can and likely WILL end badly) and then after you saved what you needed you try a partition recovery scan again.
    NOT Data recovery scan.

Partition is basically your 1TB drive returned to before it was deleted/corrupted, performing a "Deep Scan" for Data may have gone way back into the deleted files you thought was gone and overwritten/corrupted your current files... hence why this is bad.

I really suggest you do NOT close the programme and borrow an external drive from someone and recover your files quickly to that external drive.

If you've already closed it... well then all bets are off, sucks to hear but that's what it is.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    You used the wrong scan/programme.

You told it to search for files to save, instead you were supposed to search for a partition to recover.
    Deep Scanning may (and likely will as you've done) corrupt files.

I suggest you borrow someone's external HDD to temp save stuff.
    "Recover" the files you did with that scan (assuming you haven't closed it yet, because that can and likely WILL end badly) and then after you saved what you needed you try a partition recovery scan again.
    NOT Data recovery scan.

Partition is basically your 1TB drive returned to before it was deleted/corrupted, performing a "Deep Scan" for Data may have gone way back into the deleted files you thought was gone and overwritten/corrupted your current files... hence why this is bad.

I really suggest you do NOT close the programme and borrow an external drive from someone and recover your files quickly to that external drive.

If you've already closed it... well then all bets are off, sucks to hear but that's what it is.
    It asked if I wanted to save the deep scan for later use and I said no. Everything seems to be working ok....the website had two options and of course I downloaded the wrong one.

15+ Year Old Account
    It asked if I wanted to save the deep scan for later use and I said no. Everything seems to be working ok....the website had two options and of course I downloaded the wrong one.
    It's not the working part that's going to be the problem very likely.
    It's the retrieval that might be a problem.

A Deep Scan basically goes into the physical sectors of the HDD retrieving any fragments of any file (Magnetic based drives leave a lot of it).
    If a file is deep scanned on a location where another file is now, like a project file, and the software brings that point forward (basically not writing it but because it found it, it puts it on top of the project file because that's what you've scanned) it might completely remove the top file (which is specifically what you want to keep) or corrupt it's data.

This is inherent in all storage that doesn't use Garbage Collection or TRIM (basically SSDs)..

In this case if the drive has never been used prior and only contains the files it has now as you've never deleted stuff from it you should be fine but that's rare.
    (have seen it happen with video project drives in which case the deep scan isn't as "destructive")

Like I said ... it may suck to hear but if it cannot restore the partition from the top layer of the magnetic platters (including data access) you may have corrupted data and it's something you should be aware of.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

Would a system restore to yesterday reverse that?

- - - Updated - - -

It's not the working part that's going to be the problem very likely.
    It's the retrieval that might be a problem.

A Deep Scan basically goes into the physical sectors of the HDD retrieving any fragments of any file (Magnetic based drives leave a lot of it).
    If a file is deep scanned on a location where another file is now, like a project file, and the software brings that point forward (basically not writing it but because it found it, it puts it on top of the project file because that's what you've scanned) it might completely remove the top file (which is specifically what you want to keep) or corrupt it's data.

This is inherent in all storage that doesn't use Garbage Collection or TRIM (basically SSDs)..

In this case if the drive has never been used prior and only contains the files it has now as you've never deleted stuff from it you should be fine but that's rare.
    (have seen it happen with video project drives in which case the deep scan isn't as "destructive")

Like I said ... it may suck to hear but if it cannot restore the partition from the top layer of the magnetic platters (including data access) you may have corrupted data and it's something you should be aware of.
    Also I did not hit recover the files it only scanned, if that makes a difference.

15+ Year Old Account
    Would a system restore to yesterday reverse that?
    It does not, System Restore only functions with critical Windows points, not with your HDD's personal files.

Also I did not hit recover the files it only scanned, if that makes a difference.
    None whatsoever ... it's the deep scan itself which is generally the dangerous bit, recover simply means reading and writing it to somewhere.

If there is any data corruption then it's already done, nothing you can do about it anymore.
    Just try the partition recovery and pray.

After doing the Partition recovery this is what it now looks like, does it look to be fixed?
    https://imgur.com/a/rlY6C

Again thank you all for this help, didnt think it would be this in dept

After doing the Partition recovery this is what it now looks like, does it look to be fixed?

I'm not an expert but to me it looks like it formatted only a small part of the drive as a system partition, most of it is unused.

15+ Year Old Account

Wrong partition, that's the system reserved partition from a previous install looks like.
    You need it to find the bigger 931GB partition.

Wrong partition, that's the system reserved partition from a previous install looks like.
    You need it to find the bigger 931GB partition.
    https://imgur.com/a/cHPkZ

This pops up when I click on the 1TB

15+ Year Old Account
    https://imgur.com/a/cHPkZ

This pops up when I click on the 1TB
    Seems about right, but I can't answer if that's the correct Partition.
    Was it called 1TB before it disappeared?

Also I'm not too familliar with EaseUS ... @chazus might be more knowledgeable with this specific recovery programme.
    So I referenced him here, he'll probably give you an answer soonish.

As far as that goes however you do understand that doing this is not a guarantee of retrieving your files 100%?
    Just making sure that before you press anything you understand that stuff can go wrong.
    (Though if you want the files back it's likely your only choice regardless)

Seems about right, but I can't answer if that's the correct Partition.
    Was it called 1TB before it disappeared?

Also I'm not too familliar with EaseUS ... @chazus might be more knowledgeable with this specific recovery programme.
    So I referenced him here, he'll probably give you an answer soonish.

As far as that goes however you do understand that doing this is not a guarantee of retrieving your files 100%?
    Just making sure that before you press anything you understand that stuff can go wrong.
    (Though if you want the files back it's likely your only choice regardless)
    Its not really the files I care about I am not able to save anything to the 1TB drive cause my computer doesnt find it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its not really the files I care about I am not able to save anything to the 1TB drive cause my computer doesnt find it.
    Ok so let me ask you this:

Do you wish to recover the files of the 1TB hard drive?
    If you don't really care then I can instruct you on how to clear the drive (as in it being empty) and able to be used as a 1TB storage drive again.

Again:
    The way I'd instruct you to go ahead would mean the drive would be empty without any files on them and being usable again.
    So do you care about any of the previous files or is it just that you want to be able to use it again?

If the latter I can even do it for you via f.ex. TeamViewer if you so wish as the process takes give or take... 1 - 2 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account

Of the 3 partitions there, the 1TB one is the one you want to check. Effectively what you're trying to do is 'undelete' (which is, technically, an erroneous term, but the purpose is the same. The partition went poof, and you want to 'unpoof' it, rather than recover the data from it.)
    Last edited by chazus; 2018-01-23 at 09:41 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab