Thread: Chinese Food

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I actually like them also when done properly. One of my favorite restaurant serves orange chicken/pork/beef that is absolutely heaven when served hot off the kitchen. Super crispy batter crust (almost like chips) and melting tender meat inside (especially the pork) in tangy orange sauce. Absolutely not authentic, but I love it anyway.
    Yeah. Mentioned earlier in the thread that there's a place near me that used to be really good, but they came under new management a while ago and since then the quality's gone to pot :\

There's another place that has decent orange chicken, and sushi rolls. Of course, they're not authentic either.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

i don't know much about it.. we had some "Chinese restaurant " when i was a kid but people always went for that fried stuff. and i wasn't a fan of that i thought it was pretty tasteless.

only time i really enjoyed that oriental stuff i guess they call it was when i was visiting some friends in another town in some buddhist restaurant and the food there was pretty much all vegan. that was pretty nice.

I can't live without Sesame chicken (not spicy), fried rice, cheese wantons, and an egg roll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Peeking chicken or peeking beef, is all I know, both are delicious other than that, I never really got into the this or that is more authentic than the other.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I thought I liked "Chinese" food in FL and then I went to TX. Dishes with the same name using different flavors and ingredients. Never did find a TX version of lo mein I liked and that's one of my favorites in FL.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I hate when people say, "I hate spicy food." I don't know what they mean.
    I'm super sensitive to capsaicin, the smallest amount causes my mouth and throat to burn. I can't even taste the food after the 2nd or 3rd bite. I've never understood why people like that type of spicy food, but apparently my experiences with chili peppers aren't the norm. Regardless, it means I don't get to enjoy a lot of cuisine I'd otherwise like if the heat was omitted.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I'm super sensitive to capsaicin, the smallest amount causes my mouth and throat to burn. I can't even taste the food after the 2nd or 3rd bite. I've never understood why people like that type of spicy food, but apparently my experiences with chili peppers aren't the norm. Regardless, it means I don't get to enjoy a lot of cuisine I'd otherwise like if the heat was omitted.
    Ok, so if I spice up your food with some black pepper? Some oregano? Some basil? Some fennel? Some lime juice? some cilantro? Some cinnamon?

I don't know what you mean by spicy, which is why I said the English language lacks proper words.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

15+ Year Old Account
    Who was General Tso and why did he become famous for chicken?

We have a very traditional dimsum place here in Toronto with a bunch of VERY old Chinese ladies who only speak some Chinese language. They push around carts and are generally unhelpful and grumpy... and the food is AMAZING!!! I don't get why dimsum is not more popular.

...and sometimes you just want the 6k calories from fried rice and General Tsao's Chicken at your local "Chinese" greasy spoon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    Who was General Tso and why did he become famous for chicken?
    There is a surprisingly interesting documentary on that on Netflix. It was invented in Taiwan in the 50s and then changed a bit to for the US market...and spread like wildfire. The version we eat today is mostly a Chinese American dish but has apparently made its way to China and is gaining in popularity.

Gotta love it! The US exporting "Chinese" food to China.

Deleted
    Well most foreign country food in the US is just tailored for .. the US. Chinese, Italian, Indian, ...

My best friend is engaged with a Chinese girl, and when I get to to go a restaurant with her parents it's completely different. There is no menu in Dutch or English, only in Chinese, and its entirely different. And imo a lot better too.

Quite weird me and my friend are literally the only non Asian people in the restaurants though.

15+ Year Old Account
    So most of the Chinese food in the west(barred a few staples like Peking Duck)where originally from southern regions of China. This mostly due to the fact that the people migrating from China to the west was mostly from Hong Kong or Guangzhou. They further altered their recipies for local produce and local people, which further made the dishes to what we have today. There is also the fact that the Chinese or other SE Asian migrants where clever with the use of other countries recipies. Even though they traditionally "Hated" people from other countries they gladly used their recipies incorperated into their own dishes for the sake of money.

The usual westernized Chinese food used to pass as a decent meal when I was younger. Its very similar to what the pictures from Netherlands and USA here in Norway aswell. Nowdays on the other hand I cant really stand it. The lack of flavors beside Sweet, fried or Spicy, The blandness, the texture, all are wrong to me(and this is coming from someone that loves 鍋包肉). But Norway actually have some authentic restaurants which is really nice, so if I am not making it myself I will go to one of those.