Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sormine View Post
    Didn't realize Peterson was selling actual products at this point. Looks like he's gonna collect a lot of money from the alt-right man children off his book.
    Wouldn't that be good? He's against the alt-right and teaching them to be better people would be a win for us all, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sormine View Post
    Didn't realize Peterson was selling actual products at this point. Looks like he's gonna collect a lot of money from the alt-right man-children off his book.
    Indeed, I didn't realize he was selling a book. Well, can't blame a person for trying to capitalize. Wish he didn't have the alt-right following him simply because he's willing to criticize the philosophy of the left. From what he implies, he's a classical liberal which is far from contemporary conservatism, especially that pushed by the alt left.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima22689 View Post
    That's not what's going to happen though. What Peterson was able to say, he supported with logic and has the research to prove the stuff he is saying. I thought the dude was a bigot before I decided to pay him some attention after watching that interview. Watched a few of his lectures, and I don't get why people hate him so much outside of that he's deconstructing the philosophy behind the social justice aspect of the left. Peterson is injecting a lot of logic back into the conversation, and I think that's a good thing. What needs to happen is that there needs to be a candid debate with him, and other intellectuals who have a different perspective than his. It's a shame that no one is willing to have that conversation. It's hard to believe he's such a horrible person when he clearly states his views and backs up things he says with empirical data.
    Might want to ask the real question is why does no one want to debate him besides TV/Media personalities? Because what he is saying isn't important, it is there to sell an idea to his group, and he isn't going to change his opinion on the subject.

Empirical data to prove a point is possible for almost any argument if you go into the data seeking and specific outcome. If he had anything real to say, that was meaningful, real people would debate him.

That is the biggest issue with all these types of people talking opinion on social issues the only other people they can get to debate are other people doing the same thing. So there are no intellectuals willing to waste their time or go cash seeking, instead those people are working on solutions to problems not trying to sell books. Thankfully youtube, etc are all there to give a free platform to every person who has an opinion on a topic.

I wouldn't call it a random youtube clip, it was a thirty-minute inquisition on UK state news and is potentially a significant moment in this culture that's been raging in the west for the past decade.
    Whow, hold your horses Mr. Superdramatic. It's just a guy that earns $$$ by catering to alt-righters and people scared of women. He's basically just a Milo with an academic title.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not what's going to happen though. What Peterson was able to say, he supported with logic and has the research to prove the stuff he is saying. I thought the dude was a bigot before I decided to pay him some attention after watching that interview. Watched a few of his lectures, and I don't get why people hate him so much outside of that he's deconstructing the philosophy behind the social justice aspect of the left. Peterson is injecting a lot of logic back into the conversation, and I think that's a good thing. What needs to happen is that there needs to be a candid debate with him, and other intellectuals who have a different perspective than his. It's a shame that no one is willing to have that conversation. It's hard to believe he's such a horrible person when he clearly states his views and backs up things he says with empirical data.
    I appreciate the very thoughtful response (Like seriously, it was a great response).

My issue lies with his dialog regarding Alpha and Beta humans. The source he got that from has been debunked, but he still rolls with it. If he isn't willing to accept the new findings, and correct his stance, then I have to assume there are other things he is saying that are incorrect.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Basically, a clinical psychologist who has been popularized for opposing Canada's C-13 bill, postmodernism, and collectivism was invited for an interview that was more like an inquisition in an attempt to inflate his statements into bigotry. It didn't go well, made the interviewer look like a fool and proved most of his points.
    Gotcha. I decided to watch a few mins of the interview and she obviously had some kind of agenda before hand. The leaps she took were kind of insane. I may be missing some context regarding the guy that lead to those questions, but in the context regarding that conversation, it was pretty large leaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    The importance of the D list celebrity and their view points is getting tiresome. I'm confused how half the people that respond are the same ones that say blizz is cash grabbing and can't see that these same people are merely cash grabbing in an attempt to stay relevant. On both sides.

TV News media is flailing and doing whatever it can to stay important to the next gen as their older gen (the majority of their viewership really ages) by going all sensational.

While these writers and bloggers have to find the fringe ideas and topics to harp on like they matter so much or that they aren't just rehashing the same shit that those sides have been saying for decades to get paid to talk or write opinion pieces. And they are fringe ideas all these groups are less than 1million people or better yet, and insignificant number of people in almost any major country. And most of the people are keyboard warriors who never attend a rally, don't vote (or can't vote), don't get involved in local politics (the one you can actually change) etc.

Instead everyone hones in like this is a CS:Go game and be like "oooohhhh bro owned" or "my team best team, don't look at the loss list, just look at the win list" type bullshit. Keep counting score folks, winners. Winning. Everyone seems to be winning recently. Who is loosing is the real question.

There are a lot of folks who are jumping on this as if it's some victory for X tribe, however, these sort of conversations are important because they are impacting the fabric of our society.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I appreciate the very thoughtful response (Like seriously, it was a great response).

My issue lies with his dialog regarding Alpha and Beta humans. The source he got that from has been debunked, but he still rolls with it. If he isn't willing to accept the new findings, and correct his stance, then I have to assume there are other things he is saying that are incorrect.
    What he found data to prove a point, touted it as pure proof, when debunked won't stop using it because it would shatter his opinion. You lie! This is all of them. It is mind blowing that people can't pick up on this trick that has been around for eons (hyperbole). It is the classic snake oil salesman routine.

Indeed, I didn't realize he was selling a book. Well, can't blame a person for trying to capitalize. Wish he didn't have the alt-right following him simply because he's willing to criticize the philosophy of the left. From what he implies, he's a classical liberal which is far from contemporary conservatism, especially that pushed by the alt left.
    They aren't following him sharply. That's just another lie that people like Cathy like to tell people in order to demonize him.

Hell, she does that in the interview. Says he has bad people following him, and then insinuates he's a bad man because of them, and that he needs to demonize his following because she's offended by them.
    Last edited by urasim; 2018-01-23 at 08:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post

Word up! Yeah, I haven't paid much attention to that stuff so I'll have to look into it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Gotcha. I decided to watch a few mins of the interview and she obviously had some kind of agenda before hand. The leaps she took were kind of insane. I may be missing some context regarding the guy that lead to those questions, but in the context regarding that conversation, it was pretty large leaps.

Indeed, it was more like an inqusition. If he is a terrible person, we won't know from the interview because it made him seem quite the opposite.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Whow, hold your horses Mr. Superdramatic. It's just a guy that earns $$$ by catering to alt-righters and people scared of women. He's basically just a Milo with an academic title.
    I don’t follow the guy but from what I’ve seen he only doesn’t use transgender words I’m not sure how that incorages people scared of woman.

There are a lot of folks who are jumping on this as if it's some victory for X tribe, however, these sort of conversations are important because they are impacting the fabric of our society.
    The conversation might be, but a lot of these people having the conversation aren't important enough to actually influence more than a small group. The conversation is important, but who is having it is a lot more important. This guy and Milo aren't, do they have a following yes, is it huge enough to create a law? Or large enough to sway a population? No probably not.

They needed someone as famous as Donald Trump to make that work, and that is going to back fire, because now we get fun presidential candidates like Oprah. The right is going to love that.

Again, conversations are important, but who is having them is equally as important. People have been warping reality with their narrow fringes for decades as well, but they rarely have a serious effect on the mass population as a whole. They win small victories for themselves then end up vanishing away as more people debunk them over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Well, the point of the book is to transform them from man-child to the man, so if any will make it to transformation point it'll be net good.
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Wouldn't that be good? He's against the alt-right and teaching them to be better people would be a win for us all, right?
    Yeah, it would be good if the people buying his books learned critical thought and analysis. I'm a little cynical and am going to assume it's like any other self help book sold for the sole purpose of profit.

Here, we've known about this well before. Take this mocking example about it. Also, NSFW.

https://youtu.be/1seThIG34R8

It is the truth, both sides of the fence is trying to make paper. Nothing more, nothing less. Being a villain sells as much as being a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Can i get a tldr. I don't keep up with random internet drama very well.
    bigot bullies female interviewer. there's the tldr.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Dramatic? Nay, it was as if he was being interrogated. It's significant because it has went viral and was probably watched by a lot of people during the broadcast. From what I gather, he regularly derides the alt-right and conservatism as we know it in general. He may be a crappy person, but for anyone seeing the guy for the first time in that interview, it sure as heck doesn't seem like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I don’t follow the guy but from what I’ve seen he only doesn’t use transgender words I’m not sure how that incorages people scared of woman.
    That's only a small part of his agenda. I'm not saying he's an idiot, just stating the obvious fact that he earns his money by saying what right wingers/islamo-/transphobes want to hear and raging against "SJW-Madness".

His funding through Patreon has increased from $1,000 per month in August 2016 to $14,000 by January 2017 to more than $50,000 by July 2017.[13][36][39]

The Rebel Media launched an Indiegogo campaign on Peterson's behalf.[74] The campaign raised $195,000 by its end on May 6, equivalent to over two years of research funding.[75]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rebel_Media

Yep, he has an agenda, and its serving him well.

Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    What point of the interview does that start? I watched about 5mins and closed out cause it was going down a weird path and was becoming pointless to watch.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    how about: irrational feminist gets owned by logic, facts and reason?
    Last edited by Scathbais; 2018-01-23 at 09:06 PM.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    What he found data to prove a point, touted it as pure proof, when debunked won't stop using it because it would shatter his opinion. You lie! This is all of them. It is mind blowing that people can't pick up on this trick that has been around for eons (hyperbole). It is the classic snake oil salesman routine.
    He has many points supporting his views, and isn't really dependent on any singular one; his worldview is quite multi-layered so even with any single fact debunked he can easily explain it away one way or another.

Plus you got to actually understand what part and in which way was debunked to see if original assertion still has any merit; and he is actually has enough merit to make such assessment himself.

He seems to be driven more by overwhelmingly positive response to what he said then by any particular desire to "sell" things; after all, he didn't actually expect it to blow up this way when he opposed that bill (and i don't think anyone could in his place)...