Poll: How do you think daylight/standard time should be handled?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Technically, you then want to maintain DST, as it starts in the spring.
    That's what I said, although the first part is a bit confusing. Technically it is DST's fault, without it, I'd never have to lose that hour and it would just be dark early naturally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whichever one the rest of the world uses, lets do that. Changing clocks is silly.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Didn’t Arizona already do this? There’s really no reason to change the clocks anymore. It’s only fun if you’re having a really good time at a bar and get an extra hour until closing time

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazter View Post
    I agree with the quality of life part, but the savings part is kinda up in the air it seems.

https://www.livescience.com/56725-do...ve-energy.html
    Plus people don't sleep the extra hour when you turn the clock back but sleep one hour less when turning the clock forward, and data shows there's higher risk of myocardial infarction the whole weeek after DST. That's a huge cost in terms of healthcare

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    That's what I said, although the first part is a bit confusing. Technically it is DST's fault, without it, I'd never have to lose that hour and it would just be dark early naturally.
    Right on.

Me in Winter: /wake up. It's 6:30. Shiiiiii.... which 6:30?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    This needs to be done at a federal level, just so we can stop fucking around with the clocks twice a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    There is a very good reason why daylight savings are a thing, it has both to do with savings part and quality of life.
    Actually, its pretty bad for almost everyone and everything involved. Both culturally and scientifically. So it has neither to do with saving anything, or quality of anything
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    There is a very good reason why daylight savings are a thing, it has both to do with savings part and quality of life.
    Here is a nice, short, humorous, and informative video about daylight savings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally- do away with DST please.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

10+ Year Old Account
    DST needs to die.

As a Floridian, I think this is a good idea. I live in Japan now which is both in the wrong timezone and doesn't observe DST so during the summer the sun rises at 3 AM and during the winter it sets at 4 PM. Bad system.

I just would prefer it stay at a specific time and never change again. I'm not a fan of daylight savings. I could care less if they chose DST or standard time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    I would actual prefer to have one world time and to get ride of the AM/PM construct. Less confusion and easier to understand.

What time is the show.. it's a 12:00. When is the game on 16:45.
    I think this system will eventually be adopted. Likely far after our time, though.

I think DST creates more stress for people when wasn't it meant to do just the opposite (to create more sunlight hours during the day)?
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    As a Floridian, I think this is a good idea. I live in Japan now which is both in the wrong timezone and doesn't observe DST so during the summer the sun rises at 3 AM and during the winter it sets at 4 PM. Bad system.
    The scenario you describe is exactly why DST came to be. Japan stretches across a few climate zones so even if they'd want it in the north it'd be weird in the south. Similar in Florida where you probably won't be needing DST as the sun still gets high in the sky even in winter. Outside at least temperate zones you're better off leaving the clocks alone when you get to see the sun more than 6 hours a day anyway. The hassle just isn't worth it.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

I enjoy our biannual exercise in shared experience -- the misery of leaping forward, the glory of falling back. I propose we just fall back every time

Either keep it or change it to all year around. The current times were set when people had to get up early to milk the cows and needed to start plowing at 5am or their kids would starve to death. Today's economy looks very different and it is better for it to have light later rather than earlier.

Also, if we stop switching, we better keep it on Standard Time, because otherwise that would mean the last move would be the "spring ahead" and who wants that? Go out on a fall back at least.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Actually, its pretty bad for almost everyone and everything involved. Both culturally and scientifically. So it has neither to do with saving anything, or quality of anything
    THere were a few studies done (that I can not find.... ) on the topic and it benefits local economies by having people out longer. Not the change part but the "staying light later" part.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm honestly more triggered about people saying "daylight savingS time" when its "daylight saving time" than I am about the actual construct itself