Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

How do you even enjoy affliction?

I am trying. I am really trying.

Having played a rogue, a DH and a Moonkin, i have been trying out warlock for a few weeks now.

Raiding is so boring its actually killing me. I have my 2 dots up, apply UA's and when the soulshards are gone the gameplay literally dies. It ends up with phases where all you do is have 2 dots and channel drain soul.

Well lucky for you, there's this thing called a talent system where you can opt for more challenging talents.

Have you considered using Siphon Life? That will add another skill to use. What about Grimoire of Service to add another cooldown? Have you tried Malefic Grasp to encourage you to time your UA dumps more carefully?

Affliction can be as boring or as fun as you make it.

Well affliction lets me solo a lot of high end content which is challenging in it's own right.

7+ Year Old Account
    It is a pretty dull spec when you're on ST. Once multiple targets come in, the fun comes from maintaining those dots while having the freedom to move around, doing mechanics and sniping adds if you're on a MT fight.

Its great to just run around in open world dotting everything in sight and seeing everything die as they chase you.

Playing Affliction is fairly easy.

Playing Affliction WELL is about as complicated as with most other classes. There's a ton of little things you can use to squeeze out more damage, and it's actually a lot of work to get everything right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cafecito820 View Post
    Well lucky for you, there's this thing called a talent system where you can opt for more challenging talents.

Have you considered using Siphon Life? That will add another skill to use. What about Grimoire of Service to add another cooldown? Have you tried Malefic Grasp to encourage you to time your UA dumps more carefully?

Affliction can be as boring or as fun as you make it.
    yeah but the pure ST talent build is boring as fuck

Well if all your soulshards are gone and no UA on the target... maybe that's the punishment for doing it wrong?

I agree that ST Affy is boring but it's a multidot spec so no big surprise there. Perhaps play with one of the specs if Affy is not for you.

On a different note - I get an odd sensation of excitement from throwing DoTS on someone and then draining their life away.

Erm... in the game, I mean.

I dunno. I play a lot of Spriest and even outside of VF I like the "SUCK THE LIFE OUT OF 'EM" feeling of Mind Flay. Just watching an enemy rot from your curses as numbers fly across your screen (even if not particularly big numbers...) feels good to me. Not trying to put lipstick on a pig here, it's just weirdly fun to me.

Maybe the spec just isn't for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Katjezz View Post

Having played a rogue, a DH and a Moonkin, i have been trying out warlock for a few weeks now.

Raiding is so boring its actually killing me. I have my 2 dots up, apply UA's and when the soulshards are gone the gameplay literally dies. It ends up with phases where all you do is have 2 dots and channel drain soul.
    It sounds like you're not wearing the most current gear and aren't doing the correct rotation. If the fight is single target and you're just dumping UA onto the target, you are not maximizing your dps. You have to manage your reap and shards properly.

With that said there aren't that many single target only fights in this current raid tier. And there is plenty of challenge in multi target fights.

Ironically, what you described isn't the typically highest performing ST build which includes siphon, so maybe the problem is that you just don't know affliction yet and you're doing a compromise build and choosing a playstyle that reduces variability.

I haven't raided on every other DPS spec, but I find the decision making around when to use UA to be more dynamic than what most other DPS specs have. Not sure what you find interesting with boomkin, it's the same shit over and over again ... especially if you want to talk about single target. You could write math formulas that would 100% predict which action should be taken at any moment and there is very little of the nuance that affliction has with optimizing UA spending.

But to each his own. I wish fewer people would play affliction.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, affliction is extremely bland and boring. Too bad it's the top lock spec.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got around 20 alts and an alt of at least every class..affliction is my main and i absolutely love it...

Maybe play a different class/spec if you don't like it, i like how unique it is compared to other generic casters with slightly different rotations. you could easily swap the visual/play style of mage,destruction,elemental, balance classes and no one would care.

Deleted
    2 set, fatal echoes and soul belt/conduit makes single target fun. When those don't occour the specc is cancer.

Deleted
    Think a lot of people enjoy the fact that its so strong more than the actual playstyle. it's defenitly one of the strongest spec's if not THE strongest spec from all classes overall. decent single target dmg, amazing multidotting, great aoe and insane selfhealing. if selfhealing was removed they would still be at the top for many fights, but i think a lot less people would enjoy the spec if they cant stand in fire without dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadandlivin View Post
    2 set, fatal echoes and soul belt/conduit makes single target fun. When those don't occour the specc is cancer.
    None of that makes any difference to me. I prefer SL anyhow.

Summon Succubus
    Demonic Sacrifice
    Shadow Bolt
    Shadow Bolt
    Shadow Bolt

Now those were the times :P

You shouldn't run out of soul shards though, resource management is a thing you know. It's like with the BM-players that bitch over "downtime", which tells that they focus starve themselves as they mindlessly mash everything without a deeper understanding for how to manage the spec.

On the surface, most classes are easy to play. Mastering them however seems to be a tough hurdle for many.

If you just play it down without caring about the small things, yeah, its boring. But if you try to squeeze out the best possible DPS, and actually think about optimizing drain cycles instead of thinkin "well, ok, 2 ua ticks didnt get buffed", "well, ok, i refreshed UA before it expired and missed a proc chance for the belt", "well, i used SH to early/late, missed 5 seconds if it" THEN it gets interesting, and really challanging.

I'm currently trying to optimize my dps 'cause i'm usually 300-400k behind the absolute top parses whilte things like WowAnalyzer tells my i'm doing well.

For me, its the same with every spec in the game i'm playing (fire-mage, feral druid after its rework, balance druid). Doing "ok" is easy as fuck with every spec, doing "good" requires a little bit more afford and in-depth thinking, but doing "perfect" is what really makes the difference.

Deleted
    Its not our fault Activision Blizzard designs so poor boss encounters that require you to play multi dots over ST