Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    As I recall, grocery delivering has been around since the 80s at least. Probably further than that as well.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    You called....
    But it'd be so easy to get it wrong....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    But it'd be so easy to get it wrong....
    Not really if you're a regular

You called....
    /valleygirl

OMG EWWWW! Do you mean like...talking to an actual person?! Like OMG....how 1990s

I can't see picking out stuff like produce, meat, etc. Can you trust the workers to get the best stuff?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I would rather goto the store myself and insure that the groceries are quality. Especially with meats or produce.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I’m sure they did get things wrong. When my grandparents did it, they had a list that they gave and the delivery guy would get everything on that list every week. If they wanted something new, they’d call it in.
    Would they order anything complicated though? Or was it just a sack of potatoes and some flour?

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Would they order anything complicated though? Or was it just a sack of potatoes and some flour?
    Decades? How could you tell people what you wanted wihout clicking on it?
    Though slightly different, but the Residence Inn Hotels have offered Grocery shopping for as long as I stayed there (20 years). In those cases you wrote down what you wanted on their sheet of paper and someone fetched it. If you wanted a brand of fat free milk, you would need to write exactly what you wanted. If you just wrote chips and dip, no telling what you'll get.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    get hooked up on autismbux, live in a tiny super cheap home with only electricity, get food and water delivered to you. never ever have to leave home.

sounds like a perfectly acceptable life for me.
    This is the ultimate setup. I haven't left the house in almost 2 months now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Peapod started in 1989, taking phone orders (29 years ago, or just about 3 decades). Prior to that, local grocery stores in the 50's and 60's would offer local delivery of choice items if you called them ahead of time, but that as a very regional thing, nothing like the broad availability we have today.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    This has been done for decades in the town/cities I lived in, you would call in or give the delivery person a list for items you would need in a week

Don't know where this has been my entire life, but i'm never going to a grocery store again. don't need to.
    Now?

Been like that for about 9 years + here. Stop and shop has been doing it forever

In any major city like top 50 at least task rabbit and in some cases the stores themselves have been offering this for well over a decade. For those that eat out of boxes and cans I am sure this is great. For meat and fresh produce I would rather pick this stuff out myself.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    This has been a thing for decades. It's nothing new. I've had my groceries delivered for the last 5 years.
    Isnt this like super sad? Whats stopping you from going to the store?

I know Publix in Florida was testing out grocery delivery about 10-12 years ago, order online, then they bring them to you

Wal-Mart and I believe Amazon are looking to not only deliver your groceries, but have a worker put them away, even if you're not home.

Seems rather new to me. Just a year old.

But you can get a weeks worth of groceries sitting on your ass. It's nice
    You can get a lot of out of date or close to it stuff too.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

7+ Year Old Account
    Why would you do that?

Too lazy to walk your sorry ass outside your house?

I would never ever do this the most i have to walk to get to the next supermarket is about 5 min so...

You called....
    I love this exchange. Reminds me of my niece being unable to fathom the fact that not too long ago, we had to physically move to a location and buy music/rent or buy movies and books, and insert the tape/disc each time we'd want to watch or listen and lift up a specific book upon reading it rather than having them all stored in 1 digital place...

Was a treat explaining to her why Belle is so excited about the library in Beauty and the Beast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by President View Post
    Isnt this like super sad? Whats stopping you from going to the store?
    Super sad? Why would it be sad?

Nothing stops me from going to the store. Originally, I used Peapod because my partner and I didn't own a car (it's $250 a month for parking in our highrise) and since I worked in a nearby office (until we went full time telecommuting) and he went to school a 10 minute walk away, that left us renting hourly cars on the weekends to go buy food. We realized it cost as much to pay Peapod to deliver our groceries as it cost to rent the car for an hour, so why waste our own personal time when someone can come deliver the groceries to us?

Now I own a car again - and pay that fucking parking fee - because my work (previously full time telecommuting) moved to Northbrook and I have to drive 30 miles to the office. Still, though, in the congested streets of downtown Chicago, it's far easier to have Peapod drop off our groceries than it is to get it ourselves. Saves me time and costs nearly the same (I compared receipts). What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I love this exchange. Reminds me of my niece being unable to fathom the fact that not too long ago, we had to physically move to a location and buy music/rent or buy movies and books, and insert the tape/disc each time we'd want to watch or listen and lift up a specific book upon reading it rather than having them all stored in 1 digital place...

Was a treat explaining to her why Belle is so excited about the library in Beauty and the Beast.
    I still have my Blockbuster card from 2003. I remember having a high-speed VHS rewinder for those tapes before we'd return them to the video store when I was a kid.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    People in Scotland tend to shop day to day, rather than in bulk for the week.
    Strange, that's not something I've ever noticed at all. I get my deliveries every 2 or so weeks, mainly coz fuck climbing stairs to my flat with my health issues. I don't think I've ever bought food day to day. Only thing I'll not have delivered is meat. I like to choose my meat fresh for cooking that day.

My mother and sister always buy in bulk, my gran did same. Most people I know also do that.