Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if I would ever want to see work become obsolete completely, but I'd be alright with it no longer being the center point of everyone's existence. Call it crazy but when we have people working 50 or more hours per week just to make ends meet or to be able to enjoy a decent life we're doing something incredibly wrong.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    Work is modern day slavery.
    How? If one understands the simple fact that we aren’t born into the right to just have free food, and shelter. It should be clear to see. I mean I’d understand more of an argument geared towards our acredited system, and wage gap, but making a living=slavery just isn’t true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wage_slavery
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    What if they are like me and spend a lot of their time on Codecademy, UDACity, Lynda, and watching instructional videos on youtube like Linus Tech Tips and JayzTwoCent? I would say I've learned more unemployed than I would have employed. I wonder what the world would be like if no one had to work and people just spent their time learning and doing what they love?
    They wouldn't. I'm assuming at some point you manage to get a job right? I imagine the end result here is you contributing in the best way possible no? Doing whatever you are good at?
    Here's the issue. What people don't understand is that not everyone can be a Shakespeare, not everyone a Michelangelo. Some people need to be spectators, and furthermore, people need reason. Have you ever sat and wondered what your purpose was? What you were contributing to the world? Imagine knowing that you would never contribute anything, that you would never be worth anything, that without you, the world would continue on perfectly and that by doing anything you actually left the world worse off because things were way more efficient without you. It's not healthy.
    People were not made to sedentary in that sense, we were made to advance and to work. The moment that we make an something that baby sits us is the moment humanity dies.
    And we can live in a fantasy world were everyone is an academic, but if you have no purpose, who matters what you know? Who cares? If you can play a violin, guess what? Theres something that can do it better with no effort. If you can fix a tire? Who cares. If you know all about the history of Rome? Who cares. Nothing would be relevant or important anymore because you'd basically be a grown infant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

I don't believe in the life of working until you fucking die. There's no life in that. I want to LIVE my life, not WORK it. I want to wake up every day, not have to worry about shit like work, bills, etc. I want to be able to do what I want when I want. I want to be able to better my life without the restrictions of work schedules. As it currently stands I can't take vacations without dreading the whole time that I eventually have to go back to work. That sucks. Fucking ridiculous. I can't do a damned thing without thinking about two things: "What about work?" and "What about bills?". That's such bullshit.

Who says I have to EARN my life? Fucking humans. Who says I have to WORK for my life? FUCKING HUMANS. Human construct. We are restricting ourselves for no fucking reason. "So you just want to live your life free of bills and never have to work?" You're damned fucking skippy I do. NOTHING says I can't otherwise. Just fucking humans. Some people WANT to work, they LIKE the idea of providing something to the public. Let them. It's their choice. But FORCING people to work for a living? Slavery. Injustice. Prices of things rise arbitrarily, and it gets harder and harder every day to just keep a fucking roof over your head and food in your belly. THAT'S HORSESHIT. EVERY human being on this planet should not have to struggle against humanly placed restrictions on shelter and welfare. The mere fact that I'm paying for WATER is a sign of the fucking apocalypse.

Do what you want with life. You want to become an astronaut? As long as you can qualify for it, fucking go for it. Want to play an instrument in an orchestra? By all means. Focus on something you want to do and do it. Want to sit on your fucking couch all day and wreck your health? Your choice. I can think of a hundred things I would love to focus on but can't, either because of work, money restrictions, or both.

Want a better education? In America, that's going to cost you more money than you've ever seen up until this point. Want healthcare? Say goodbye to 40%+ of your paycheck. Why? Why is this the case? Why are we preventing ourselves from getting better? We are currently in a dark age of humanity and nobody even fucking realizes it. The status quo is absolutely demoralizing slavery and everyone is fine with it. The cost of rent is getting so sky high that many people can't afford a 1 bedroom apartment anymore. Ask them about it. Some people giggle a little, some people just look away, some people will raise their voice about it. Everyone is complacent with living this bullshit we currently call life, and it's fucking sad.
    Last edited by endersblade; 2018-01-29 at 03:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

No, work is modern day work because work has always existed.

It’s not fact. First statement is basically saying it’s a pessimistic view of work for wage comparing it to owning or renting people. Nobody is forcing people to work, but in the real world...in reality food, shelter etc isn’t free. So to live you must contribute. Money exists on a philosophical level to track your contributions to the society. Why wouldn’t we award the biggest contributors?

Problem we have now is awarding people for doing nothing, who are really confused about what work even is.
    Last edited by Stonecloak; 2018-01-29 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Yes.

I don't believe in the life of working until you fucking die. There's no life in that. I want to LIVE my life, not WORK it. I want to wake up every day, not have to worry about shit like work, bills, etc. I want to be able to do what I want when I want. I want to be able to better my life without the restrictions of work schedules. As it currently stands I can't take vacations without dreading the whole time that I eventually have to go back to work. That sucks. Fucking ridiculous. I can't do a damned thing without thinking about two things: "What about work?" and "What about bills?". That's such bullshit.

Who says I have to EARN my life? Fucking humans. Who says I have to WORK for my life? FUCKING HUMANS. Human construct. We are restricting ourselves for no fucking reason. "So you just want to live your life free of bills and never have to work?" You're damned fucking skippy I do. NOTHING says I can't otherwise. Just fucking humans. Some people WANT to work, they LIKE the idea of providing something to the public. Let them. It's their choice. But FORCING people to work for a living? Slavery. Injustice. Prices of things rise arbitrarily, and it gets harder and harder every day to just keep a fucking roof over your head and food in your belly. THAT'S HORSESHIT. EVERY human being on this planet should not have to struggle against humanly placed restrictions on shelter and welfare. The mere fact that I'm paying for WATER is a sign of the fucking apocalypse.
    You can stop working and go live in the forest. Go ahead, noones stopping you. You are gonna find you fucking hate it because it's work too. I hate this baby-minded ideology that work is slavery. It's the stupidest shit in the world and nothing more than a naive backlash against being an adult. Even the Commies knew you had to work, and they in themselves were naive as hell.

I would settle for it not taking up close to half your waking life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive View Post
    You can stop working and go live in the forest. Go ahead, noones stopping you. You are gonna find you fucking hate it because it's work too. I hate this baby-minded ideology that work is slavery. It's the stupidest shit in the world and nothing more than a naive backlash against being an adult. Even the Commies knew you had to work, and they in themselves were naive as hell.
    And sheeple like you are part of the problem, not the solution. "go live in the woods". Are you fucking serious? Get off your high horse, you sound retarded.
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I think people should do what they want to do, rather than what others think or expect they should do.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

And sheeple like you are part of the problem, not the solution. "go live in the woods". Are you fucking serious? Get off your high horse, you sound retarded.
    'I dont have to earn my life'
    Get off YOUR high horse. Work is not a human construct, it's life. Animals do it, people do it, even the god damn trees spend energy in order to grow. It's absurd you can sit here and pretend it's you're god given right to exist off of other people.
    I'm the problem? No, I'm the one holding people like you up in this scenario. In your world, people like me are the solution. You have an option 'not to work'. You can disconnect from society. If you don't like that option, be a person.
    And the worst part is that as soon as you stopped your 'slavery', you'd be bored like everyone else is. Why do you think people who retire go back and work? Why do you think they are always trying to find things to do. I hate to tell you, but your dream of a free life is boring and unsatisfying.
    Last edited by Thrive; 2018-01-29 at 03:16 AM.

Actually it would be the only logical thing to do if you didn’t want to work. Go live off the land, and you’ll understand quickly that your quality of life is garbage, and you’ll have to do more work. We live in a pretty amazing time in history, and you complain about working what 40 hours a week? That’s nothing, there’s people working 70-80 to make a decent living.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Yes, I think people should do what they want to do, rather than what others think or expect they should do.
    That’s fantasy man. I’d bet that will never be reality in human existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Actually it would be the only logical thing to do if you didn’t want to work. Go live off the land, and you’ll understand quickly that your quality of life is garbage, and you’ll have to do more work. We live in a pretty amazing time in history, and you complain about working what 40 hours a week? That’s nothing, there’s people working 70-80 to make a decent living.

- - - Updated - - -

Even if it did happen, humanity's evolution would stop. It would be the end of our advancement. We would never see the stars, we would never do anything new, we'd just sit here and fade away in 'comfort'.

They wouldn't. I'm assuming at some point you manage to get a job right? I imagine the end result here is you contributing in the best way possible no? Doing whatever you are good at?
    If I have it my way I'll never work "9-5" or have to say "I work at/for [company/organization]"

Have you ever sat and wondered what your purpose was?
    Yep, somewhat often, I'd say monthly I have that thought.

What you were contributing to the world?
    Not something I think about, if it was I would have went the medical route instead of technology.

Imagine knowing that you would never contribute anything, that you would never be worth anything, that without you, the world would continue on perfectly and that by doing anything you actually left the world worse off because things were way more efficient without you.
    I'm well aware of my insignificance in the world and through my contemplation of Have you ever sat and wondered what your purpose was? I realize that when I die the world will go on as if I was never there even if I contribute something major like the cure for cancer. I would be remembered as the man who cured cancer, my name may become synonymous with intelligence and good will, maybe I'd be posthumously be labeled a medical genius but none of that is of any interest or appeal to me. Realizing my lack of concern for how the world sees me or what condition it's in once I die how do I live my life? Always seeking happiness for myself and those that I care about.

People were not made to sedentary in that sense, we were made to advance and to work.
    I've yet to figure out the meaning for existence but I doubt it's as simple as "work" lol

And we can live in a fantasy world were everyone is an academic, but if you have no purpose, who matters what you know? Who cares? If you can play a violin, guess what? Theres something that can do it better with no effort.If you can fix a tire? Who cares. If you know all about the history of Rome? Who cares. Nothing would be relevant or important anymore because you'd basically be a grown infant.
    I know I can play (I can't but for your example) and I enjoy playing, why should I care that someone or something can play better if I only do it because it's what I enjoy doing. Until I can think of something better I live to be happy.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think we should be so insulting of others opinions
    Last edited by Drusin; 2018-01-29 at 03:29 AM.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Even if it did happen, humanity's evolution would stop. It would be the end of our advancement. We would never see the stars, we would never do anything new, we'd just sit here and fade away in 'comfort'.
    Yep, absolutely. Just doing what we want to do all the time will not lead us to any type of happiness, progress, etc.

If I have it my way I'll never work "9-5" or have to say "I work at/for [company/organization]"

Yep, somewhat often, I'd say monthly I have that thought.
    You messed up your quotation, so I didn't quote it all, but there is a reason they say healthy body healthy mind. Stagnation is not good for people. Maybe it works for some, but generally humanity is worse off with it. People need things to do. I've been in that unemployed leach mindset and it's not good for anyone, most importantly yourself. It's the destruction of the mind, and it's hard to see how bad it is for you when you are in it. Granted some people do much better in it and take that time to advance themselves, but most don't. Most just wallow and fade.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

You're completely forgetting what this thread is about. If all jobs (well, let's be real, not EVERY job can be automated) were automated, we would have the freedom to actually live outside of being a slave to work and the paycheck. I don't get why everyone seems to think that if you want to live around people you have to work, but if you don't want to work you have to go live in sticks. Erroneous binary thinking. In a world where everything is automated, I can have my cake and eat it to. I wasn't just ranting about changing our society to some utopia. It was assumed you would understand that I was going on the premise of work being automated by robots and humans having more time to do things. Apparently the bar of expected intelligence was set higher than it should have been, because the backlash I'm getting on here indicates people are taking what I'm saying completely out of context.

10+ Year Old Account
    You sound like one of the control freaks. Hopefully attitudes like yours will die.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Sporebat View Post
    Work - Would you like it to become obsolete?

With the ever march of automation i see threads where people seem to want people to work for the sake of working so i ask would you ever like to see work become obsolete where machines gives us everything we need from the field to the plate and from the factory to the household.

We honestly are so close to the dreams of the 1950s where we was told we would no longer need to work cause machines could do it all for us.

This isnt about communism this is about where we honestly could set up a society where none of us need to work and only a select few needs to just make minor repairs but i guess those who do those minor repairs could maybe ask for more and thus would they become the new 'rich people'?.

I guess the point of this thread is with the rise of automation and the rise of driverless trucks we truly are heading where our labour is no longer needed and should we welcome that or fear it?
    Commies should move to north korea and leave everyone else alone
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.