Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Recommend a liquid cooler

So I'm sitting here with a 4670k, 600 watt power supply and a 1070 while feeling my CPU could use some love.
    I've decided to overclock it, not trying to push it to any extreme, but read with solid liquid cooling I can get 4.2-4.5 Ghz stable.

So if yall have any recommendation for a liquid cooler, CPU only and 120mm size (to fit my case) please let me know.
    Don't care about RBG, but would like it to be as quiet as quiet gets

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will leave this here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr0qLLv3dKc but you have options. But if I really wanted a water cooled system i would for a https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CW-...ter+cooler+cpu

Dont have to be liquid cooler, but it all depends on how much space you got in your case. Personally have a Corsair H110i with not problems other than the size of the dual radiator has always been a bit bigger than the slot it can fit into, even though both cases advertise they can hold a dual radiator. So measure up and check the exact size of the radiator, if you go for a dual radiator.

But otherwise, air cooling can be just as effective and be quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Alextros View Post
    Dont have to be liquid cooler, but it all depends on how much space you got in your case. Personally have a Corsair H110i with not problems other than the size of the dual radiator has always been a bit bigger than the slot it can fit into, even though both cases advertise they can hold a dual radiator. So measure up and check the exact size of the radiator, if you go for a dual radiator.

But otherwise, air cooling can be just as effective and be quiet.
    Righto! the case is a Corsair Carbide Series 200R, so I'll try and find some measurements.
    Air cooling often has a bigger need for space though right?

And now we're talking about upgrades and what not, what's silent 600ish watt power supply that you can recommend? My current has begun making some odd noises, prob from dust, but even after cleaning the fan still makes noise when under heavy load.. (Not fan spinning noise, but like it's hitting something)

Quote Originally Posted by Xeion View Post
    Righto! the case is a Corsair Carbide Series 200R, so I'll try and find some measurements.
    Air cooling often has a bigger need for space though right?

And now we're talking about upgrades and what not, what's silent 600ish watt power supply that you can recommend? My current has begun making some odd noises, prob from dust, but even after cleaning the fan still makes noise when under heavy load.. (Not fan spinning noise, but like it's hitting something)
    If you want silence from a PSU, you will most likely have to get something alot higher than 600 watts if you want it always to be silent. It is less power efficient, but that is what you pay for silence I guess.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817438059 This is a 650W PSU, but it only runs silent at around 40% load, and then gets load as it gets closer to 100% load.
    http://www.corsair.com/en-us/rmx-ser...ly-modular-psu Is about the same, but again, if it gets close to max load, it will get noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alextros View Post
    If you want silence from a PSU, you will most likely have to get something alot higher than 600 watts if you want it always to be silent. It is less power efficient, but that is what you pay for silence I guess.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817438059 This is a 650W PSU, but it only runs silent at around 40% load, and then gets load as it gets closer to 100% load.
    http://www.corsair.com/en-us/rmx-ser...ly-modular-psu Is about the same, but again, if it gets close to max load, it will get noisy.
    It shouldn't get much higher than 40-50% load though right? With a 1070, slightly overclocked 4670k and nothing else really major, it shouldn't hit much more than 250 watts or something
    Last edited by Xeion; 2018-01-29 at 11:24 AM.

Deleted
    It shouldn't get much higher than 40-50% load though right? With a 1070, slightly overclocked 4670k and nothing else really major, it shouldn't hit much more than 250 watts or something
    if u bump up the powertarget and add just 100 mhz on the coreclock then a 1070 pulls abit more than 150watts on its own. mobo and 2 ssd's pull about 50-55watt.. and if u overclock that cpu to 4.5ghz, then you can expect it to pull over 100 watts aswell.. so at that point youre already well above 300watts.
    also the RMx PSUs are not quiet at all

Quote Originally Posted by Beefbarrier View Post
    if u bump up the powertarget and add just 100 mhz on the coreclock then a 1070 pulls abit more than 150watts on its own. mobo and 2 ssd's pull about 50-55watt.. and if u overclock that cpu to 4.5ghz, then you can expect it to pull over 100 watts aswell.. so at that point youre already well above 300watts.
    also the RMx PSUs are not quiet at all
    Fair. So if I wanted a silent PSU I should aim to get a 800ish watt one? Recommendation?

Deleted
    Fair. So if I wanted a silent PSU I should aim to get a 800ish watt one? Recommendation?
    its gonna get expenssive at 800w.. the RM750i is still affordable and probably best value for money given your use case.
    But if the money is irrelevant then you could go for that fanless prime titanium from seasonic. its not 800watts but what does it matter if theres no fan anyway right
    Last edited by mmoc6da6ba4d4b; 2018-01-29 at 02:59 PM.

its gonna get expenssive at 800w.. the RM750i is still affordable and probably best value for money given your use case.
    But if the money is irrelevant then you could go for that fanless prime titanium from seasonic. its not 800watts but what does it matter if theres no fan anyway right
    right. Sounds good, I'll take a look and hope it fits my case.
    Having a look at reviews and other options, it seems like the nh‑d15 would be better than liquid cooling while being just as quiet if not more so.
    Can that be right?
    Last edited by Xeion; 2018-01-29 at 04:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    right. Sounds good, I'll take a look and hope it fits my case.
    Having a look at reviews and other options, it seems like the nh‑d15 would be better than liquid cooling while being just as quiet if not more so.
    Can that be right?
    Yes.

Basically liquid cooling (as in AIO's... excluding custom loops) only has 2 uses.
    1. If you physically can't fit a large tower cooler in your case.
    2. If you're gonna OC as much as possible.

Also for liquid coolers you want 280mm or 360mm radiators, 240mm can be decent but they're rarely any better than a massive air cooler. 120mm is completely pointless as even a smaller air cooler is usually better.

If you care about noise, don't bother with any liquid cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Yes.

Basically liquid cooling (as in AIO's... excluding custom loops) only has 2 uses.

Also for liquid coolers you want 280mm or 360mm radiators, 240mm can be decent but they're rarely any better than a massive air cooler. 120mm is completely pointless as even a smaller air cooler is usually better.

No liquid cooling it is then. I want to OC a bit, but not push it any more than needed. I do want it quiet as can be though, and seeing I might invest in a fanless PSU it would be a waste if the new CPU cooler was noisy.

Have my eyes on the NH-D15, but pretty sure it doesn't quite fit in my small case (200R). Any alternative to the NH-D15 or should I try and make it fit somehow

10+ Year Old Account
    No liquid cooling it is then. I want to OC a bit, but not push it any more than needed. I do want it quiet as can be though, and seeing I might invest in a fanless PSU it would be a waste if the new CPU cooler was noisy.

Have my eyes on the NH-D15, but pretty sure it doesn't quite fit in my small case (200R). Any alternative to the NH-D15 or should I try and make it fit somehow
    Might be a tight squeeze to fit a D15 in a 200R yeah. You could probably make it fit (we're talking a few mm's here) but having it touch the sidepanel isn't ideal because of vibrations.

I was in your situation a few months ago as my case (Phanteks P400S) has the same CPU cooler clearance as your 200R.
    I read alot of reviews and ended up choosing between a Noctua D15S and a Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH edition. I went with the Scythe in the end because the performance difference was extremely minimal and the Noctua was noticeably more expensive.
    The Mugen 5 is keeping my Xeon E3 (basically the same as an i7 4770) very cool and quiet so I have no complaints.

Deleted

all coolers make noise when you set them to full speed. if you just set the pump to a medium speed then there wont be much noise at all.
    with that said noctua is ofc still the absolute best, by a mile even, when it comes to low-noise systems.

if you dont fancy the idea of an AIO and youre having height issues with tower coolers, then you can still go for the NH-C14S - it has a pretty high TDP limit so it would get you a very decent overclock + the added benefit of actively cooling the VRM on the motherboard.

EDIT: i would also recommend a BeQuiet! Dark Rock TF.. the aesthetics of that one is slightly more appealing than noctuas brown and biege colors
    Last edited by mmoc6da6ba4d4b; 2018-01-29 at 07:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    all coolers make noise when you set them to full speed. if you just set the pump to a medium speed then there wont be much noise at all.
    with that said noctua is ofc still the absolute best, by a mile even, when it comes to low-noise systems.
    True, but what I mean is that at every "level" of performance apart from the very top end, you can find an air cooler that matches the thermal performance of a liquid AIO, but produces less noise, is cheaper, and has no issues with potential corrosion or pump breaking down etc. So there's really no point goíng for a liquid AIO unless you can't fit a comparable air cooler or if you don't like the looks of one (personally I don't give a shit about looks inside my computer as I don't care about this window and RGB fad but hey, that's just my opinion).

Only at the very top end if you're doing maximum OC and such, does a liquid AIO make sense, because the best air coolers (like the Noctua D15) can't quite keep up in thermal performance with the top end liquid AIO's like a Kraken X62 or EVGA CLC 280.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigo View Post
    I will leave this here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr0qLLv3dKc but you have options. But if I really wanted a water cooled system i would for a https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CW-...ter+cooler+cpu
    Lol that video again. You do know that the air coolers he is using covers the whole threadripper, wheres the AIO's don't because they are not made for the TR4 socket.

So you can't use that video for anything at all.

If you look at this test you can see the Enermax Liqtech 240 TR4 kicking the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 ass, because the Enermax is build to cover the TR4 socket. The NZXT Kraken X62 is not made for the TR4 socket, so it has worse temps then the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3. AIO's are cooler then air and will allways be

Gamers Nexus threadripper cooler comparison full coverage liquid vs air
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Lol that video again. You do know that the air coolers he is using covers the whole threadripper, wheres the AIO's don't because they are not made for the TR4 socket.

So you can't use that video for anything at all.

If you look at this test you can see the Enermax Liqtech 240 TR4 kicking the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 ass, because the Enermax is build to cover the TR4 socket. The NZXT Kraken X62 is not made for the TR4 socket, so it has worse temps then the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3. AIO's are cooler then air and will allways be

Gamers Nexus threadripper cooler comparison full coverage liquid vs air
    Do you even read the articles you post, and if you do, why do you ignore the parts that undermine your argument? Oh, because you believe your own shitposting, thats right.

Normalizing for noise minimizes the Liqtech’s advantage to a point of irrelevance
    Huh, so if you run the thing full blast (where it is SIGNIFICANTLY louder) its about 5c better (but irrelevant, since neither get much over 60c under full synthetic load)... but at the same volumes its irrelevant.

Yeah, thats SURELY “kicking its ass”.

And on top of that... who gives a single solitary fuck about Threadripper? Lets talk about CPUs that people actually USE.

Oh, yeah, last time we went around that topic, i buried you in links proving you utterly wrong. I can see why you need to cherrypick a single test on a platform almost no one uses.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Do you even read the articles you post, and if you do, why do you ignore the parts that undermine your argument? Oh, because you believe your own shitposting, thats right.

Huh, so if you run the thing full blast (where it is SIGNIFICANTLY louder) its about 5c better (but irrelevant, since neither get much over 60c under full synthetic load)... but at the same volumes its irrelevant.

Yeah, thats SURELY “kicking its ass”.

And on top of that... who gives a single solitary fuck about Threadripper? Lets talk about CPUs that people actually USE.

Oh, yeah, last time we went around that topic, i buried you in links proving you utterly wrong. I can see why you need to cherrypick a single test on a platform almost no one uses.
    As i quoted you in a nother thread. You posted 2 links and both where with the threadriper, so i don't really know where it was you buried me and when i proved you wrong you just went silence?.

And im seeing 8 degress difrence
    Last edited by pansertjald; 2018-01-31 at 08:18 AM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm sitting here with a 4670k, 600 watt power supply and a 1070 while feeling my CPU could use some love.
    I've decided to overclock it, not trying to push it to any extreme, but read with solid liquid cooling I can get 4.2-4.5 Ghz stable.

So if yall have any recommendation for a liquid cooler, CPU only and 120mm size (to fit my case) please let me know.
    Don't care about RBG, but would like it to be as quiet as quiet gets
    If you can't fit the noctua dh-15 which like better than any liquid cooler out there I would go with the Corsair Hydro H100i v2 which is the 120mm version.

Yes.

I owned a Corsair H60 V2 many years and with a better fan it was a great AiO.
    The H60 was very quiet and my 6600k was running on Idle on 18-20° under load in gaming it never hit 50° (without OC).