Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Because she is super special snowflake (aka lore character) and regular void elf is not. Same with malfurion and regular druids.
    Yep. Same reason Warriors can't imitate Varian and switch spec on the fly, or Sylvanas gets to keep being a sexpot while the rest of her people are bags of bones with maggots crawling in their insides.

Also Void Elves became what they are through a specific ritual which Alleria did not undergo.

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    Just say you want white elves on the alliance.
    It's Ok to be Wh....nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    It's Ok to be Wh....nevermind
    It's true though. If void elves were white and blonde like Alleria there would be almost no complaining.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MarilynMaelstrom View Post
    Do you think the edit I made looks like a generic high elf? lol. Stop exaggerating, please.
    Look, no need to try to be clever about it, we get it, you want Void Elves to look like High Elves, while Blizzard decided to give to the Alliance purple haired elves with vampire skin instead. Tough luck. Please deal with it and move on. You're beating a dead horse, and failing to realize it. Don't be surprised if people are asking to close this thread or rolling their eyes at what you're saying, because it's nothing new.
    At this point, making more threads about having the High Elves playable for the Alliance (or asking to turn the Void Elves into HE, which is basically the same thing) just means trying most people's patience around here. I for one wish never to read another thread like this ever again, but I guess it's wishful thinking unfortunately.
    You guys are not a vocal minority, more like a bunch of undead banshees wailing relentlessly.

I think that aesthetically my issue with void elves is the lack of contrast and hue variation to the point they look kinda dull, so the idea of a "normal" hair color fading into a voidy one and same for the skin would have been cool options. VE like LF seem just so very limited in terms of customization, and NB even when they just have 3 skin tones have so much more contrast one with the other. With Velves you could do away with 2-3 skin and hair colors and not loose much.

Really like your edits; the fade between warm to cool is really striking. I would like to see how it would look with the cool/void tone coiling around the warmer tones like tattoos/scarring around the face -personally I would like that they could have a high elven looking skin as option, but that's not my issue with the race; they can have void marks in the face, tendrils in their hair and all, it's just that they seem very one note)

This artwork of Alleria is a favorite of mine.

I just feel that the blue dipping on void elves is kinda lazy as aesthetics choices go; they just look like recolored blood elves. I love how this artwork makes the void look more corruptive, almost like scarring. Alleria has complete mastery over the void, but the rest of void elves would have looked far more unique and striking with something like this -the void parts could have even had a shimmer effect like NB tattoos does-

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Honestly, if someone wasn't following WoW and they saw the Nightborne, I'm fairly certain they'd think they were new night elf models. They're so alike in design & visual look, even using traditional purple/silver Darnassus armor for them and their mounts (who are also the large cats), I just kind of laugh at the people insisting the void elves must be visually distinct from blood elves. Seriously, night elves and nightborne aren't that distinguishably different in terms of visual design.

For that matter, with the exception of the model's skeleton and frame, the void elves pretty much look like night elf variations to me in skin tone. They just need some added hair colors.

You've got night elves and blood elves on the Horde and night elves and blood elf/night elf mish-mash on the Alliance.

I'd have gone a lot further than Blizz is with the Allied races opening more neutral race choose-your-side like the Pandaren myself.

Let the taure and draenei reskins be faction specific. Let the void elves resemble blood elves but pick a side. Let the nightborne resemble night elves but pick a side.

Heck, I'm still a little intrigued by EQ2's one-time betrayal quest allowing a player to switch sides if they're really willing to bear the burden of penalties that come with it.
    I don’t know why people keep saying this. I’m sorry but they’re clearly not Night Elves when you’re comparing multiple distinct differences to only one difference for BE/VE.

Get over it. You people whined and whined and whined for the only pretty race Horde had and now you’re tight Horde got more enticing races. They needed it with all the BEs running around. There’s way less diversity there.
    Spike Flail - US Mal'Ganis | Currently 11/11 M | Art by ElyPop

Just say you want white elves on the alliance.
    Er...this looks quite white to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavin View Post
    Look, no need to try to be clever about it, we get it, you want Void Elves to look like High Elves, while Blizzard decided to give to the Alliance purple haired elves with vampire skin instead. Tough luck. Please deal with it and move on. You're beating a dead horse, and failing to realize it. Don't be surprised if people are asking to close this thread or rolling their eyes at what you're saying, because it's nothing new.
    At this point, making more threads about having the High Elves playable for the Alliance (or asking to turn the Void Elves into HE, which is basically the same thing) just means trying most people's patience around here. I for one wish never to read another thread like this ever again, but I guess it's wishful thinking unfortunately.
    You guys are not a vocal minority, more like a bunch of undead banshees wailing relentlessly.
    In case you didn't know, this is a video game.
    I don't want high elves. Stop acting like you can read minds because you can't.
    The picture I linked looks nothing like a hight elf. Just want more variety since all the void elf skins look plain and boring, like a generic death knight skin.
    I like the underwear, though.
    ~Metzen whispered in my ear "it's all ogar now"...

TIL purple=white

Honestly, if someone wasn't following WoW and they saw the Nightborne, I'm fairly certain they'd think they were new night elf models. They're so alike in design & visual look, even using traditional purple/silver Darnassus armor for them and their mounts (who are also the large cats), I just kind of laugh at the people insisting the void elves must be visually distinct from blood elves. Seriously, night elves and nightborne aren't that distinguishably different in terms of visual design.
    I'm not entirely sure why you're laughing at people who can tell that nightborne look incredibly dissimilar from night elves. I mean, really? You're going to use the nightborne as an example to show how void elves shouldn't need to be as distinct than they are? Nightborne are 100 times more distinct than the void elves currently are. They have entirely custom models, options, idle stances, etc. The only thing they really have in common with night elves is a general build and animations.

Oh, and, uh, I guess colours and mounts..? I'm not sure how that's pertinent to anything but I'll give it to you.

Meanwhile void elves have the same base models as blood elves. All they changed was the customisation options. They're much more similar. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing (I think it's fine), I'm just not sure what point you're making with "I laugh at people who insist void elves must be distinct, just look at nightborne"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, if someone wasn't following WoW and they saw the Nightborne, I'm fairly certain they'd think they were new night elf models.
    They are New Night Elf models. They would not be wrong. That's sort of the whole point of the Allied race system, repurposing existing assets. But while they use modfiied Night Elf models they are not Night Elves.

They're so alike in design & visual look, even using traditional purple/silver Darnassus armor for them and their mounts (who are also the large cats), I just kind of laugh at the people insisting the void elves must be visually distinct from blood elves. Seriously, night elves and nightborne aren't that distinguishably different in terms of visual design.
    1.) You are wrong. Nightborne and Night Elves look quite distinct now. Nightborne have different skin tones. Nightborne ears are upswept rather than backswept. And Nightborne are not as muscular or robust as Night Elves.
    Nightborne also have a completely different aesthetic in their art, clothing and architecture than Night Elves.

2.) You can laugh all you like. Blizzard obviously agrees with our interpretation that Void Elves must be visually distinct from Blood Elves. Hence tentacles.

I'd have gone a lot further than Blizz is with the Allied races opening more neutral race choose-your-side like the Pandaren myself.
    Thankfully they successfully repressed any desire to reduce the Horde and Alliance into a pick your favourite colour mish-mash.

Let the taure and draenei reskins be faction specific. Let the void elves resemble blood elves but pick a side. Let the nightborne resemble night elves but pick a side.
    That isn't going to happen.

Well, except for the Tauren and Draenei being faction specific.

TIL purple=white
    It's more like a faded blue. Still whiter than pink.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    I think that aesthetically my issue with void elves is the lack of contrast and hue variation to the point they look kinda dull, so the idea of a "normal" hair color fading into a voidy one and same for the skin would have been cool options. VE like LF seem just so very limited in terms of customization, and NB even when they just have 3 skin tones have so much more contrast one with the other. With Velves you could do away with 2-3 skin and hair colors and not loose much.
    That's my main problem with them. They lack the "flashy" or colorful features that other races have. They need more skin variety or at least some kind of glowy marks or tattoos. The nightborne are quite bland as well but the tattoos and hair colors give them quite a lot of contrast.
    ~Metzen whispered in my ear "it's all ogar now"...

10+ Year Old Account

That's my main problem with them. They lack the "flashy" or colorful features that other races have. They need more skin variety or at least some kind of glowy marks or tattoos. The nightborne are quite bland as well but the tattoos and hair colors give them quite a lot of contrast.
    Tattoos would be fine, but I do wish to draw the line at normal skin tones of any sort. That's pretty much a major selling point for the Blood Elves now.

But truth be told, I think it's too late.

I think the pre-order will be announced tomorrow and Allied races will become available in the very near future.

Frankly, I think the teams are already working on other things relating to the expansion.

Void Elves, along with the other Allied races, are probably done.

I think it's already going to be confusing with void elves wearing armor beside a blood elf, I imagine Blizzard feels it'd be much worse if they looked like them too.

Exactly, my issue is that void elves color choices just seem too dull; there's little value and hue contrast between hair color (seriously you can do away with 4 hair colors with hos similar they look) and skin tones have more value contrast, but so little hue variation.

NB can get a lot of contrast even with limited skin options (the blonde contrasts with every skin, the white hair contrasts with the dark skins, etc) but Void Elves have just such a limited palette overall. Even their "brightest" hair color fades into indistinguishable low value.

And let's be real, it's not like "making them purple" was the only way Blizzard had to make the void theme noticeable. The part of me that wants high elves loves your edits because with good coverage they look like them, the part of me that has legitimate issues with the void elves aesthetics would want more; a shimmery void scarring would have looked so awesome, specially to contrast the void/purple hue with normal skin tones, blonde/red/brown hair that fades into the voided colors, or even just the contrast of those warm colors with the tendrils.

Void Elves bring so little in terms of coloring aesthetics; nothing that Nigth Elves, Nightborne and Draenei already brought, but even less because they don't even have a true white hair (unlike every other race; the darkest void elf skin tone would look amazing with a silver hair, for example.) If they wanted uniqueness, they could have added shimering void scarring, not only tentacles, but overlay starry void textures over the hair, or streaking the warm hair colors with it.

They could have done so much cooler stuff than just making them purple, and that's the major bummer for me.

Deleted
    Why can't we make void elves with pinkish skin and natural hair colors?
    People say there must be something to difference a blood elf from a void elf, but there is nothing that differences a horde and an alliance pandaren and we still recognize them in-game.
    I don't want high elves. Stop acting like you can read minds because you can't.
    The picture I linked looks nothing like a hight elf. Just want more variety since all the void elf skins look plain and boring, like a generic death knight skin.
    OK, so you don't want High Elves (let's play your game, I'm bored enough today).
    You want Void Elves with pink skin and fair hair.
    You want Blood Elves playable for Alliance.
    Blood Elves are High Elves, or what became of most of them.
    You know what? Nevermind, I'm not THAT bored and I still value my time.
    Keep going. Dead horse. Banshees. I already said everything I wanted to say on this matter in countless other threads like this. It's not something worth arguing about anymore.

Alleria basically absorbed the power on her own; she wasn't part of a forced transformation ritual as the blood elves lead by Umbric were, who basically fell into a trap. It explains why she retained her original appearance. On top of this she was taught by an ethereal how to deal with the void, making the resulting effects the void could have on her physically as small as possible.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2018-01-29 at 11:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thing with the Void Elves is that they're a relatively new "race". All the other allied races have a population pool to draw from, most of them being at least 300 years old with the Dark Iron, at most 10,000 with the Nightborne.

Void Elf characters have been around for a few months, yet they'll probably encompass the majority of the new alliance characters running around, thanks to their look. I get that they're technically drawing population from the Blood Elf pool, but still. They have probably the most out-of-the-way requirements to unlock along with the LF Draenei, so maybe that'll mitigate the player population a bit.

Side note: A female Void Elf hunter in full Mythic Tier 19 would almost be a 1 to 1 Sylvanas clone. Get ready folks.

Last edited by Vespene; 2018-01-30 at 02:02 AM.
    Sythis - Vicious Cycle

Alleria is the first, and theorically, the most void-influenced elf. However her skin and other features remain untouched (except for her voice).
    Why can't we make void elves with pinkish skin and natural hair colors?
    People say there must be something to difference a blood elf from a void elf, but there is nothing that differences a horde and an alliance pandaren and we still recognize them in-game. Look at this edit I made:

Still looks quite voidy to me. Why isn't it an option?
    for crying out loud, give it up, if you want that, play a blood elf.

Something like this is what I have been thinking -tattoo optional, not really sure what kind of design- but that's the idea to get more contrast in a way that is not too "I wanna look like a high elf"

10+ Year Old Account
    I think these "normal" skinned ones look horrible. They look way better as is to me. But that's subjective.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)