PC Upgrade - is it worth it?

Hey guys,

I want to put some money into my build to make sure I can play games like WoW BFA (mythic raids) on ~medium graphics 1920x1080 resolution while keeping good fps. I want a smooth raid expierence in WoW 20 man raids I dont care for high/ultra settings. My build worked for most of legion raids but it started to see fps dropps if the boss / area is full of juicy effects.

Sooo I build this pc in 2011 (2014 I bought the gpu) here is the components:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K - 3,5 GHz (didnt overclock it yet)
    RAM: Corsair DIMM 16 GB DDR3-1333 ( 4x 4 Gb)
    Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
    GPU: ASUS R9 290X-DC2OC-4GD5
    PSU: 750w

Already useing 2 SSD - one for the os (win7) and one for my games.

Looking for efficient upgrades to these parts.
    Or do you think I should go for a complete new build since the cpu and mobo are quite old? Budget for upgrades should be around 750-1500 € maybe more if its worth.

Thanks for help.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2018-01-29 at 11:17 PM.

Your CPU/Memory/Motherboard would need a swap, the rest is good enough as it is.
    I upgraded from this setup: i5-2500k, 16 GB DDR3, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, 250 GB SSD, MSI GTX 970 4GB
    To: i7-8700k, 16 GB DDR4 (3200), Gigabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming, 500 GB Samsung Evo m.2, and I kept my graphics card

The change was astronomical. I can now run WoW on full Ultra settings and still get an easy 75 FPS (capped with vsync) in raids. Remember, WoW is a CPU HOG, your graphics card does matter, but if you bottleneck that PC with a slow CPU... well

Also you won't need an i7, and i5 in the 8th gen Intel series would also suffice, or ofcourse and AMD alternative. I'd say grand total pricetag would vary around 600-800 euros depending on what you're going to buy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Hey guys,

I want to put some money into my build to make sure I can play games like WoW BFA (mythic raids) on ~medium graphics 1920x1080 resolution while keeping good fps. I want a smooth raid expierence in WoW 20 man raids I dont care for high/ultra settings. My build worked for most of legion raids but it started to see fps dropps if the boss / area is full of juicy effects.

Sooo I build this pc in 2011 (2014 I bought the gpu) here is the components:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K - 3,5 GHz (didnt overclock it yet)
    RAM: Corsair DIMM 16 GB DDR3-1333 ( 4x 4 Gb)
    Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
    GPU: ASUS R9 290X-DC2OC-4GD5
    PSU: 750w

Already useing 2 SSD - one for the os (win7) and one for my games.

Looking for efficient upgrades to these parts.
    Or do you think I should go for a complete new build since the cpu and mobo are quite old? Budget for upgrades should be around 750-1500 € maybe more if its worth.

Thanks for help.
    its true that your cpu is starting to lack abit behind.. however for a gaming pc on a budget its a really bad time to buy right now. ill give you a couple reasons why you should wait until april/may

1. AMD's zen+ is scheduled to release in april

2. Intel's Coffee Lake platform is not fully released; you can currently only get a z370 motherboard which is overpriced and a 8700k doesnt make sense for a gaming pc on a budget. the i5-8400 and a H-series motherboard would make alot more sense since it would cost only a fraction and still be miles better in performance than your current cpu, however the H-series havent been released yet.

3. Nvidia's Titan V has been out for a long time already (almost 2months?) and the Tesla v100 even longer still, which means the GTX series will most likely release soonish

4. ddr4 RAM costs a small fortune right now and it doesnt look like its gonna get any better until much later this year. same with the GPUs due to the cryptocurrency-mining-craze

i bought a ryzen1600, a b350-i strix and 16gb RAM at 3000mhz 2weeks ago and im very happy with that. but im waiting for the new gpu's to hit before i upgrade that. however your 290x is a very decent card still so i wouldnt worry too much about that. its on par with a gtx1060 6gb which is overkill for WoW.

with your budget in mind, you will get the most for your money if you buy a b350 motherboard, a ryzen+ cpu and some good RAM. you dont need a new graphics card until some time next year
    Last edited by mmoc6da6ba4d4b; 2018-01-30 at 09:22 AM.

Sorry for the late reply but thank you for your input! I went ahead and bought a i7-8700k, asrock z370 extreme 4, 16gb g.skill 3200 RAM +a m.2 samsung 960 evo ssd + a cpu cooler (Noctua DH-15) + a cheap windows 10 key and kept my r9 290x graphics card. All my fps problems magically went away . Its like playing a completly different game now, no more problems!

I know its not the best time to buy but I literally had 10 fps on low settings in my mythic raid.. which I couldnt stand any longer. Will wait for better graphic card prices / new generation for future upgrades though its not really needed for wow.