ORCA who Talks.. What Question would you ask it ?

Wilkie , a captive killer whale housed at Marineland in Antibes, France, is uttering noises that mimic
    the human sounds “Hello” and “Bye-bye” as well as “One, two, three” plus, apparently, the haunting word “Amy” – the name of its trainer.

Wilkie has become an overnight Online sensation . and while it is only mimicking human sounds at the moment, imagine
    if it could willingly converse with Humans.. What Questions would you ask it ?

My two questions would be. Whats your favorite fish & how is Free Willy?.

Since the video aired, some charities are asking that Wilkie be set free from the French marine park.. like Free Willy.

The Guardian has written an interesting piece today about talking whales & dolphins.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...kie-orca-mimic

This week, after the news broke about Wikie’s great feat, a number of vocal animal welfare charities were calling for her release from captivity. This troubled me a little. Really? I thought. Is that really a good idea?

Killer whales (like all dolphins) are adept at horizontal learning, after all. They copy one another. They have sounds for objects, possibly names. They have dialects. They transmit behaviours. In other words, they have culture like we do. Might the once captive Wikie somehow spoil their untamed wildness with her newly learned human vernacular? What if this captive dolphin, somehow released into the wild with a human greeting (“Hello!”) should corrupt the wild dolphins it comes across? What then? I dread to think, but the idea is entertaining to consider so let us do just that.

Let us imagine pods of wild dolphins screaming “Goodbye” at boatloads of tourists that encroach on their hunting grounds each year. Imagine them saying “Bye-bye” to trawlers. Imagine them ruining countless nature documentaries by screaming “Hello” to BBC camera crews while filming.

And what if Wikie and her kind later develop sarcasm? Can you imagine, in an age where our oceans become bereft and depleted of nutrition, the words “So long and thanks for all the fish!”, delivered in a sarcastic tone? In a perverse sort of way, I suspect Douglas Adams would have laughed long and loud at this idea. And then wept.

Deleted
    by trained they mean deprived of food until they do tricks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like something out of a horror movie when it "talks".

Also, yeah, what ctd said.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    by trained they mean deprived of food until they do tricks.
    We do it to each other, why not animals too?

Deleted
    Why is Orca all capitals? ORCA sounds like an acronym

10+ Year Old Account
    Can it be trained to eat its captors?

When an animal is trained to talk it mimics. It doesnt pick up each individual word in a language. It doesnt even know what Hello means. Just what its trainer has taught it. So asking it how it feels to be an Orca it wouldnt reply. Or would just say Hello or any other random word/noise its been taught.

Plus Orcas are traind using disgusting methods. The only ones in captivity should be injured ones and then they should be released.

Quote Originally Posted by Bae View Post
    When an animal is trained to talk it mimics. It doesnt pick up each individual word in a language. It doesnt even know what Hello means. Just what its trainer has taught it. So asking it how it feels to be an Orca it wouldnt reply. Or would just say Hello or any other random word/noise its been taught.

Plus Orcas are traind using disgusting methods. The only ones in captivity should be injured ones and then they should be released.
    The OP's original question was IF they could really talk—effectively communicate with us in our language.

As for what I would do, I would ask whether other orcas could speak and if so, seek to gain international recognition on the plight of orcas with the purpose of creating a interspecies alliance.

I would beg it to let me become its pet and give me free rides on their back. I would then proceed to live with my new family in the depths of the ocean.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dat hurt my ears alittle, didn’t realy sound like hello to me

I would not ask him anything, because animals don't speak.

10+ Year Old Account
    These "charities" are so idiotic with a one track mind to free these animals not understanding that a lot of animals raised in captivity cannot survive in the wild by themselves.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd ask it what its favorite fart sound is

"PHHHBBBBT"

What does she thinks about having sex with a crocodile

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have you asked your trainer to let you watch the movie, "The Great Escape "?