Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Tropical vacation recommendations.

It's that time of year again and I'm craving sand and sunshine. Usually I just wistfully look at airfare and fantasize about the beach and drinking out of a coconut but I made a promise to myself to start traveling more and therefore am actually looking to book something. Anyone have any good recommendations for tropical (or at least warm and sunny) destinations? Hawaii is on the short list.

My advice: YES

Also Belize.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/50724 <3

Pictures look amazing!
    If it's cloudy, you can go see awesome ruins too. Or just go see them because they are cool.

It's that time of year again and I'm craving sand and sunshine. Usually I just wistfully look at airfare and fantasize about the beach and drinking out of a coconut but I made a promise to myself to start traveling more and therefore am actually looking to book something. Anyone have any good recommendations for tropical (or at least warm and sunny) destinations? Hawaii is on the short list.
    Why does your time of the year coincide with winter in the usa?. Can you even waterski?

Hawaii is great. I would rate the islands like this: the Big Island > Kauai > Maui > Oahu. They are all worth visiting. I've been there many times since it's an easy stop between Japan and the continental US. When I lived in Florida, we would often go to the Bahamas but other than that, I don't know many good tropical vacation spots in North America.

Other good places that I've been are Bora Bora in French Polynesia, Boracay in the Philippines, Bali in Indonesia, Gold Coast in Australia and Ko Samui in Thailand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fiji.

If you don't like lots of goofy tourist crowding up everything and really are interesting in the more Rest and Relaxation part of a Vacation.

Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    I will back up the Belize recommendation! It is a beautiful place. Volunteered there for 2 summers for 1 month stays. Key Caulker is really nice and relaxing after 3 weeks in the jungle lol

10+ Year Old Account
    West coast of Nicaragua is really nice. Live like a king for $10/day. Enjoy some dirty surfing. Not as humid as the east side.

Make sure you have plenty of mosquito repellant. Seriously. Depending on the time of the year, they can take all the fun out of your vacation. Especially if you want to stay in tree houses.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm going back to Phuket in 4 weeks. While Phuket has its own beauty, I much prefer the beauty of the surrounding islands.

It is quite expensive though, expect wester prices.

Venice Beach, since you're on the Northwest coast, the airfare shouldn't be too bad.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    I heard Somalia is quite successful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Won't be cheap but Bora Bora is on my bucket list. Should be on yours too!

or

Fernando de Noronha, Brazil. The best part about this place is they only accept a limited amount of tourists annually. It won't be an overcrowded tourist trap - if that's your thing.

@Strawberry

I went to Phi Phi Don after watching the beach and fell in love with the scenery. Nothing like the movie though. It's beyond overcrowded.
    Last edited by SLSAMG; 2018-02-02 at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SLSAMG View Post
    I went to Phi Phi Don after watching the beach and falling in love with scenery. Nothing like the movie though. It's beyond overcrowded.
    I don't find Phi Phi very attractive visually. The water is quite muddy as well.
    But what annoys me most is that Phi Phi doesn't feel like Thailand. It's packed with drunken (mostly) Australian teenagers.
    It's a party island.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Fiji.

If you don't like lots of goofy tourist crowding up everything and really are interesting in the more Rest and Relaxation part of a Vacation.

That's not Fiji, mate.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/50724 <3

Pictures look amazing!
    As someone who has been all over Central and South America, be aware of your own safety. If it comes down to it, just pick Hawaii.

Chances are nothing will happen, but the possibility remains. Read travel advisories, research everything, don't take risks.

But I am paranoid, and a rando on the internet. Do what you want.
    When I went up the stair, I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today. I wish I wish he'd go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daxxarri
    Whale Shark is the devourer of the slow moving and inattentive. This includes plankton, whales, and AFK players.

Whale Shark swims where and how it pleases. Whale Shark /spits on your science.

Cuba is awesome vacation destination

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I don't find Phi Phi very attractive visually. The water is quite muddy as well.
    But what annoys me most is that Phi Phi doesn't feel like Thailand. It's packed with drunken (mostly) Australian teenagers.
    It's a party island.
    Yeah, agreed! There was a lot of Aussies when I was there too. I think it's because it's extremely cheap for them to fly there. A shame really...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SLSAMG View Post
    Yeah, agreed! There was a lot of Aussies when I was there too. I think it's because it's extremely cheap for them to fly there. A shame really...
    Yeah, Phi Phi is packed with Australians and Phuket with Russians and Chinese. Although I don't really mind specific nations. I did not encounter any negativity from the Russians or Chinese in Phuket.
    But really in Phuket there are street food servings, but on Phi Phi there are street... Vodka servings.