Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Lightbulb Warlock tanks in the future?

With the shift in philosophy regarding, bring the class, not necessarily the player, and the addition of more class uniqueness that entails; would this not be an opportune time to perhaps make a serious push for adding warlock to the classes with an tanking option?

Think about it. We are still four pure-classes in the game; two of which are pet classes, three if you count mages with their water elementals. Blizzard just tried it's hand at making both demonology, and survival feel all new-, and fresh, in legion; but what if changing up the damage dealing style isn't the way to go. What if you instead started the hybridization of the pure-classes? According to the data available on worldofwarcraftgraphs, as per Feb 05th 2018, 34,5% (global), and 31,8% (at max level) of the characters played are pure-classes.

Hunters (9,8%/10,7%)
    Mages (8.5%/8,7%)
    Warlocks (7.1%/7.6%)
    Rogues (6.4%/7.5%)

This is about a third of the playerbase, tied to a character who can neither tank-, nor heal. Obviously this is selling point for some players, either because they enjoy the specs currently available, that they might not be asked to take personal responsibility, or any number of other reasons. But now as we are also making the move towards smaller group sizes in organised content with M+, with Island Exploration, and as Ion recently talked about, 6 man rated battlegrounds. Would it not be better to allow these classes to atleast have the option to contribute in other ways then as one of three DD/DPS specs? This would mean that people are less likely to be-, or atleast feel like they are being forced away from their main toons if they and their group of friends needs the occational tank-, or healer.

As for Warlock, we are already known to be the meatier of the casters, and we have an history of filling this particular role already (although in unorthodox mannes); and despite blizzard having already dismissed this idea before, they keep adding in fights that do require caster tanks. Most recently in mythic nighthold. It doesn't even have to be an outright caster tank either, you could have the warlock use fel magics to enhance their physical prowess, again, look to the Gul'dan fight. There should, in my opinion, be enough to go on, to make a lore-friendly, perfectly viable, and not to mention interesting tanking specialization. As for which spec should be up on the chopping block, that's not for me to decide.

Well there is my five cents. Any thoughts?

Well they took that walock tanking concept and gave it demon hunters so its gone m8, move on.
    BETA CLUB

I'd like to see more classes that can tank *and* ranged DPS. Currently druids are the only option.

Whether that means giving warlocks/hunters a tanking spec, or adding a ranged DPS spec to demon hunters, either way would be fine by me.

I can't be the only person who enjoys tanking but has no interest in Melee DPS as my off spec.

I agree with Demonidze.

They ripped demonology off completelly for Demon Hunters design.
    Thanks for the heads up!

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably not in BFA. Besides reworking Demo like they said, I’d 99% guarantee they won’t allow Warlocks or Hunters to be tanks. Would be nifty.

Warlock Tank Spec should look like hulked out Gul'dan in the Nighthold raid

Honestly, I think the time has long since past for pures to be removed from the game. Survival should be made a tanking spec (it even SOUNDS like a tanking spec), Demonology should be made into a tanking spec (using demonic knowledge and wards to deflect blows and self-heal wounds), Mages should get the long-overdue and already in game Chronomancer healing spec (Chromie "heals" this way a number of times, including the MOP legendary questline). Rogues are definitely the hardest to fit a tanking or healing role into, but the obvious answer would be an agile swashbuckler tanking type, or some kind of alchemy-based poultice, infusion and gas based healer.

Being a pure is just a massive disadvantage as this point, and it usually benefits raid teams far more to have hybrids than pures. With the hybrid tax long gone and hybrids ahead of most pure specs on damage output at this point, pures are in a sad spot. Make all classes hybrids and the problem goes away (as well as adding some nice new options to the game).

Quote Originally Posted by Demonidze View Post
    Well they took that walock tanking concept and gave it demon hunters so its gone m8, move on.
    Exactly. Demon Warlocks were able to tank 5 mans but not raids. But in that vein, both Shaman and Moonkin were previously able to tank 5 mans. And also Rogues could at least off-tank when needed but that was out of desperation usually. I would be all for any current class gaining the ability to tank, tbh, but doesn't look like it's happening in BFA.

Been there, done that in TBC with illidan and Leo. I'm fine with not having to do it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ydraw View Post
    I'd like to see more classes that can tank *and* ranged DPS. Currently druids are the only option.

Whether that means giving warlocks/hunters a tanking spec, or adding a ranged DPS spec to demon hunters, either way would be fine by me.

I can't be the only person who enjoys tanking but has no interest in Melee DPS as my off spec.
    You are definitely not. I keep trying the druid to get that exact thing but it never feels right to me. I like to see my mogs so I get bored of bear form not to mention how easy it always is and with each iteration of moonkin they make it less fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonidze View Post
    We do not always need to fall back on demon form, it never realy belonged to us in the first place (imo); but, we could, simularly to the Gul'dan fight in Nighthold, augment our characters trough the use of fel magics to "hulk out" and such use short range spells and fel infused melee attacks. Think of it like the MoP version of GrimSac on steriods.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evertonbelmontt View Post
    I agree with Demonidze.

They ripped demonology off completelly for Demon Hunters design.
    Plus more than ever it's obvious old Demo isn't coming back as Destruction is getting Soul Fire and Hellfire

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    Honestly, I think the time has long since past for pures to be removed from the game. Survival should be made a tanking spec (it even SOUNDS like a tanking spec)
    I tend to agree re: survival. There are no mail tanking specs, and a tanking spec would surely have appealed to more people than the 0.3% of the player base who play melee DPS survival.

Survival should be made a tanking spec (it even SOUNDS like a tanking spec).
    The only one I'd kinda agree with but blizzard just redesigned survival in legion, dont expect another one that huge just 1 expansion later especially changing its entire spec from DPS to tank.

Demonology should be made into a tanking spec (using demonic knowledge and wards to deflect blows and self-heal wounds).
    So basically Vengeance Demon Hunter

Mages should get the long-overdue and already in game Chronomancer healing spec (Chromie "heals" this way a number of times, including the MOP legendary questline).
    You mean wod legenadry questline, but even so Chromie is not a mage, bronze dragons specifically deal with time. The closest dragons to compare to mages is the blue dragon flight.

Rogues are definitely the hardest to fit a tanking or healing role into, but the obvious answer would be an agile swashbuckler tanking type.
    So basically Outlaw Rogue

Also theres no hybrid tax and theres no benefits to hybrids over pures anymore or vice versa. DPS off healing is trash, and so is their overall raid utility across the board compared to older expansions. Boomkins/ferals dont have tranquility or shit like heart of the wild. Rets cant keep someone alive through word of glory alone anymore. Ancestral guidance/Enh + ele healing tide/stream totems arnt a thing. Zen med isnt relevant even as BrM only, BrM statue shields are gone, chi torpedo healing is gone.

You're trying to create a problem that doesn't exist just to further your hackneyed crusade to make every spec homogenized for 0 reason. No Thanks

We had warlock tanking in MoP with the glyph of demon hunting:

Damage reduction was based on your mastery.

That experiment worked OK, I warlock tanked some of Mogu'shan Vaults. AE aggro was a bitch, single target aggro was fine.

They removed the glyph after MoP, and then we got DH's.
    It's dead, Jim. Fun while it lasted, but the tank warlock is now known as "Vengeance Demon Hunter".

Quote Originally Posted by Challenge View Post
    So basically Vengeance Demon Hunter
    Are Vengeance demon hunters clothy casters?

No.

"So basically" no.

You mean wod legenadry questline, but even so Chromie is not a mage, bronze dragons specifically deal with time. The closest dragons to compare to mages is the blue dragon flight.
    And?

Do mages have an established track record of using time magic? Yes.

Is there a precedent of someone using time to "heal"? Yes. Precedent established in lore.

Does it matter if they're not a mage? Not one bit.

Next.

So basically Outlaw Rogue
    Outlaw rogue is a pirate-themed DPS.

It can't tank. It's certainly not themed like a traditional heroic swashbuckling type.

"So basically" no.

Also theres no hybrid tax and theres no benefits to hybrids over pures anymore or vice versa.
    Wow, really? Thanks for clearing that up!

"So basically" it's like the point went completely over your head.

Are Vengeance demon hunters clothy casters?

No.

"So basically" no.

And?

Do mages have an established track record of using time magic? Yes.

Is there a precedent of someone using time to "heal"? Yes. Precedent established in lore.

Does it matter if they're not a mage? Not one bit.

Next.

Outlaw rogue is a pirate-themed DPS.

It can't tank. It's certainly not themed like a traditional heroic swashbuckling type.

"So basically" no.
    So basically, you want them to recreate a hackneyed version of outlaw rogues, vengeance demon hunters, and a brand new sub class to be tank/healer specs, for no other reason just cause. Nice one.

Im very glad cloth over leather is your absolute sound, solid and well thought out reasoning to add demonology tanks in addition vengeance demon hunters when they purposely and heavily changed demonology just to make way for what demon hunters are all about in legion.

Wow, really? Thanks for clearing that up!

"So basically" it's like the point went completely over your head.
    You want "pures" to be buffed because "hybrids" out dps "pures" in a given meta.
    Your solution to this non design but rather tuning issue is to make all classes hybrid, which is not only retarded for just thematic reasons, its also pointless and solves a problem that isnt there.

But sure, why hasnt blizzard thought of you and every other wow armchair designer's brilliant idea of adding a new spec to every class, half of which make no sense like adding a healing mage spec. Its SO simple. Add another 12 (4 classes) specs to the game. (Yeah, it wouldnt be fair to just add some classes a new spec. Gotta give them all a new thing to play with hehe xd )

Why you dont work for blizzard already is beyond me tbh.
    Last edited by Challenge; 2018-02-09 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ooshraxa View Post
    We had warlock tanking in MoP with the glyph of demon hunting:

Damage reduction was based on your mastery.

That experiment worked OK, I warlock tanked some of Mogu'shan Vaults. AE aggro was a bitch, single target aggro was fine.

They removed the glyph after MoP, and then we got DH's.
    It's dead, Jim. Fun while it lasted, but the tank warlock is now known as "Vengeance Demon Hunter".
    Yeah. I mean, the thing was even called "Glyph of Demon Hunting". Demon Hunting... you know, like Demon Hunters do.

I remember tanking sartharion (10 man ) with my voidwalker back in wotlk , it required customized gear but it was legit tanking for a raid long before the introduction of mop meta and glyph.

I could see it working, but to fair it would have to be demo only and the whole concept would have to be based around 1 super pet and not multitudes of minions.

In which case they'd have to introduce super pet specific abilities beyond the current ones for that to work, the whole playstyle would be micromanagement of the pet + healing it with funnel and repositioning it accordingly.

But in all fairness I highly doubt blizzard will opt into that kind of gameplay, it just seems a tad strange.

10+ Year Old Account
    No thank you, last time they tried to do something a class was not supposed to do we got Surv Hunters. I'd rather have 3 damage dealing specs than 2 damage dealing and one shit spec.