Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Question Some questions about GW2

I'm still debating on whether to purchase the game or not. I've been trying to read up on the GW2 Wiki but I still have some questions.

1. What exactly is Condition Damage?
    2. Is Boons just healing or is it something else too?
    3. Is the ranger class best if they use melee for their attacks (ie Soulbeast specialization) or can their ranged be equal in damage?
    4. Does anyone know how a human gets to any of the areas where THIS PET is found so it can be tamed?
    5. Any advice for new players?

Condition damage is just damage over time effects, of which there are different kinds based on your class/spec (poison, bleed, fire, confusion, torment and so on). The stat condition damage improves the damage of all damage over time effects.

Boons are buffs including swiftness (speed), might (damage), resistance (damage reduction), aegis (damage ignore) etc etc

Not sure honestly, you'd have to ask people who play Ranger (last I heard the most popular build was a druid supporting build)

Walk, all the zones are interconnected just map it out. I think you could asura gate to Lion's Arch? Or waypoint to the starting zone of the Norns.

Try everything! Don't let WoW know-how weigh you down, there's a lot the same and a lot different.
    Edit: ALSO KEEP SALVAGE KITS ON YOU ALWAYS, DON'T VENDOR GEAR, SALVAGE IT (but vendor all the crappy runes and sigils you get)
    Last edited by Nalorakk; 2018-02-08 at 09:43 AM.

What @Nalorakk said.

Also, the game is officially free to play. If you like it, you will spend money on expansions and upgrades, but trying it is free. So go ahead.

Oh, and Soulbeast only comes into play after you reach 80 AND dump a truckload of hero points into the spec. That basically requires completing most of the map. You will have to play until then as a vanilla ranger - but that's not bad either. Just be keep in mind that it is always very easy to die in GW2 (although rangers are better than most at coming back from being downed due to their pets).
    Last edited by Flarelaine; 2018-02-08 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I'm still debating on whether to purchase the game or not. I've been trying to read up on the GW2 Wiki but I still have some questions.

1. What exactly is Condition Damage?
    2. Is Boons just healing or is it something else too?
    3. Is the ranger class best if they use melee for their attacks (ie Soulbeast specialization) or can their ranged be equal in damage?
    4. Does anyone know how a human gets to any of the areas where THIS PET is found so it can be tamed?
    5. Any advice for new players?
    1) Condition Damage is to Damage over Time, as Power is to direct damage attacks.
    2) Boons are all buffs you can get such as Might(more damage), Fury(More Crit) and so on.
    3) Ranger to me is great at both melee and range. The biggest issue in melee as Soulbeast, is that if you are merged with your pet, you have no self tank to soak damage for you, making you much more susceptible to getting killed. Ranged is ultimately better due to having tank
    4) Same as any other race, just a matter of figuring out the terrain and exploring around.
    5) Best advice I can give: Play whatever feels right and roll with it. When it comes time for raiding and other higher end content, adjust your build to something more efficient even if for short spurts to just raid. Otherwise the best thing I invested in was some gems to get the Infinite Gathering tools which cost around 3000 gems (Looking to fork out 40 dollars unless ya farm/sell on the auction house like mad). Once you get those, your inventory frees up SO much due to not needing any extra of the regular gathering tools. It frees up so much.

Quote Originally Posted by cskx2001 View Post
    5) Best advice I can give: Play whatever feels right and roll with it. When it comes time for raiding and other higher end content, adjust your build to something more efficient even if for short spurts to just raid. Otherwise the best thing I invested in was some gems to get the Infinite Gathering tools which cost around 3000 gems (Looking to fork out 40 dollars unless ya farm/sell on the auction house like mad). Once you get those, your inventory frees up SO much due to not needing any extra of the regular gathering tools. It frees up so much.
    Oh, yeah, those tools are actually good investment. As a twist, you could get the Watchwork Mining Pick which keeps dropping sprockets when you mine. Sprockets sell for more than a silver each and you will see even silvers count in this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Answered already but they are damage over time. Bleeds, burns, poisons. Less common, torment (does more damage when target moves) and confusion (does more damage when target uses an ability). Theres also conditions that don't do damage, most are related movement. Conditions have red icons.

2) Boons are buffs. Regeneration, protections, aegis (block), quickness, alacrity (cd reductions), etc. Boons have gold/yellow icons.

3) Ranger is one of the few classes that do well (as far as the "meta" goes) at melee and ranged.

4) You can find it in the Norn capital city. You should have a waypoint to the city Hoelbrak or at least to the Norn starting area, Wayfarer Hills.

5) People are very helpful in game so don't hesitate to ask questions. Theres no real rush to level 80. Just about everything gives you xp. In open world pve you can pretty much play what works for you but remember in gw2 killing stuff ASAP safely possible is better than stacking a bunch of armor/hp. Metabattle.com is a good place for builds pertaining to all game modes.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

You don't need to buy the expansions til 80 really so by the time you hit 80 you can decide then if you want to purchase them or not.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    4) You can find it in the Norn capital city. You should have a waypoint to the city Hoelbrak or at least to the Norn starting area, Wayfarer Hills.
    How would I go about going there though? My ranger is a human and I've been to the capital city if that helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    How would I go about going there though? My ranger is a human and I've been to the capital city if that helps.
    You have a waypoint to all the starter zones, capital cities are always right behind the starter zone waypoinys. Its probably harder to see because youre new and much if the map is unexplored.

I think this is the waypoint

[&BHQBAAA=]

Just copy that entire thing into chat, brackets and all. It turns into a link to a waypoint when you press enter.

each capital city has a giant purple portal to lions arch, lions arch should have a portal to Hoelbrak.

Or yea just use a waypoint

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    each capital city has a giant purple portal to lions arch, lions arch should have a portal to Hoelbrak.

Or yea just use a waypoint
    Free accounts can go to LA until something like lvl 30.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks guys. I ended up finding it and got my new pet. I just zoomed out in the map and was able to find the area then zoomed in to find the waypoint I could port to.

- - - Updated - - -

OK I have a couple more questions about the game:

1. As a ranger using a long bow, should I be focusing on more raw power or condition or what?
    2. Everyone is saying to salvage my gear I get but when I buy salvage kits & try to use them it says the gear can't be salvaged. Is this because I haven't bought the game yet or am I doing something wrong? I've tried using each the Crude, Fine, Journeyman's, and Master's Salvage Kits but they all show everything redded out when I try and use them.
    3. I used a birthday present I got from the game for my old toon that gave me a lvl 20 character boost on my ranger. I figured I would be able to do the lower level stuff faster. I noticed after using it that when I go to do quests I have an effective level not necessarily my actual level when I do stuff. Is this normal?

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Longbow is a power weapon so you want gear with power/precision/ferocity

2) Youre probably trying to salvage gear from heart vendors and/or select rewards from leveling. I dont think F2P has any salvage restrictions.

3) That should be normal if Im understanding your correctly. Some of your stats are showing up red? Thats normal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    1) Longbow is a power weapon so you want gear with power/precision/ferocity

2) Youre probably trying to salvage gear from heart vendors and/or select rewards from leveling. I dont think F2P has any salvage restrictions.

3) That should be normal if Im understanding your correctly. Some of your stats are showing up red? Thats normal.
    So what kinds of weapons would I not want to use raw power with?

The gear I've been trying to salvage has been both quest rewards and gear that's dropped for me while killing stuff. Literally none of it is able to be salvaged by the kits I've purchased. I can vendor them or sell some of them on the trading post but none of it can be salvaged. As far as my stats turning red, I haven't noticed that but I've noticed that under my character level in the hero panel it would say "effective level 8" when I was doing some of the starting zone events when I was character level 20.

10+ Year Old Account

The gear I've been trying to salvage has been both quest rewards and gear that's dropped for me while killing stuff. Literally none of it is able to be salvaged by the kits I've purchased. I can vendor them or sell some of them on the trading post but none of it can be salvaged. As far as my stats turning red, I haven't noticed that but I've noticed that under my character level in the hero panel it would say "effective level 8" when I was doing some of the starting zone events when I was character level 20.
    Yeah longbow is for power, the stats I listed are for power builds

Hearts = quests, you cant salvage the gear you get from those NPCs. Reason is because karma (the currency you buy the gear with) is so abundant that it what throw off the devs idea of an economy. A good rule of thumb is of the item has blue flavor text in its description its not salvageable.

The whole "effective level" thing is level scaling. Your level downscales according to whatever content your doing. You still get xp and loot according to your actual level. For instance a level 60 goes to a starter zone, their effective lvl becomes 6 or whatever but they still get xp (maybe slightly less) and loot as if they were in lvl 60 zone.

Shortbow, torch, and Axe are more condition based weapons. If/when you get your elite specializations, dagger is also condtion based, and Staff is specifically geared towards healing. Most everything else is power based for a Ranger.

Most quest rewards can't be salvaged. Random drops should be able to be salvaged for the most part

Conditions are status effect debuffs. The damaging ones are Bleed, Burn, Confusion, Torment, and Poison. Longbow does not really apply any of these so they just do basic damage which increase with the stat power. You'll notice shortbow has skills that apply bleed so the stat condition damage will increase the damage of the bleeds (and other conditions)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Condition

There's also utility conditions like slows, cripples, etc
    Last edited by zito; 2018-02-10 at 02:13 PM.

My guild says that it wants people doing a certain amount of dps after a few 'learn to raid' runs to move you into raiding full time, which I would like to eventually do. Where do I get a legal dps meter?

I've finished the story so far in POF, finished every POF map to 100% and unlocked Mirage completely so now I feel ready to start spelunking into fractals and dungeons for gear. Once I get ascended weapon and chest I am off to raiding so where dat meter?
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    My guild says that it wants people doing a certain amount of dps after a few 'learn to raid' runs to move you into raiding full time, which I would like to eventually do. Where do I get a legal dps meter?

I've finished the story so far in POF, finished every POF map to 100% and unlocked Mirage completely so now I feel ready to start spelunking into fractals and dungeons for gear. Once I get ascended weapon and chest I am off to raiding so where dat meter?
    Arc dps

https://www.deltaconnected.com/arcdps/

The only one that I know of thats approved by Anet.

Do I need HOT living seasons 1-2 to do 3 for the trinkets?
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.