Poll: Chiropractors what’s your experience?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Chiropractors what’s your experience?

I personally thought about it for sciatica, but never been.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Personal Experience. About 15-17 of age had a hip problem. It was displaced to the point where i couldn't move my left or right(can't memeber) leg because of the Pain.
    Went to a Chiropractor, he cracked my body in like 5 min, sent me home to sit in bed 1 week and i could move my leg again.

Incredibly underrated field that takes immense skill. Thank god for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by meowfurion View Post
    It's utter quackery.
    Yeah watching these I kind of wonder how wrong these can go.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriexo View Post
    Personal Experience. About 15-17 of age had a hip problem. It was displaced to the point where i couldn't move my left or right(can't memeber) leg because of the Pain.
    Went to a Chiropractor, he cracked my body in like 5 min, sent me home to sit in bed 1 week and i could move my leg again.

That’s great and yeah hear lots of people swear by them.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Go to a real doctor if you're having problems.

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    [video=youtube_share;5V1hzpDYRzQ]https://youtu.be/5V1hzpDYRzQ[/]

Chiropractic has worked for me

First Time
    about 12 years ago I had a major back problem, I had family spending the week with me and I slept on the couch, it was an old pullaway couch that dipped in by the 4th day my back started hurting, by the 6th day I could barley walk. I thought I pulled a muscle so I waited for it to heal, after 2 months of it not getting better (I'm stubborn like that) I went to a one a co-worker recommended because I wanted to try that before a doctor tried to give me medicine to mask the pain or worse surgery, I was young and in my 20's and exercised didn't think this could happen to me.

When the Chiropractor showed me my X-ray I could tell something was wrong, my lower back was crooked. He told me I would need to go 10 days straight, then 3 a week, then 2 a week and once a week. By my 12th visit I was taking a shower before work and noticed I had no more pain. After about 25 visits I stopped going and didn't have a problem again for 4years

Second Time
    Second Chiropractor I went too was a quack he did things totally differently, I started having back issues again. After 25 visits I wasn't getting better. Found out the problem on my own, my x's shitty mattress was 15 years old and way too soft. Bought a new mattress and the problem went away, even since them I make sure I don't cheap out on good firm mattress.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriexo View Post

I agree, anyone who says otherwise never experienced a good one or been to one.
    Last edited by zenkai; 2018-02-09 at 03:32 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post

I have had issues with sciatica for decades after injuring mine snow sledding with the kids and having a crash at the bottom of a hill. Went to the chiropractor once and he helped a little. Was not until I read a book written by a back surgeon,(can not remember his name or the book, sorry ) that had some exercises in it which has helped my issue a ton. As long as I do those faithfully at least 3 times a week, I rarely have any issues with it.

Takes just a few mins and is basically keeping the muscles stretched around the sciatica. They are basically yoga types of exercising that area. One is taking a fencers stance, with your hand resting on your forward leg's thigh and then rocking backward and forward gently 25 times. then switching by extending the other leg forward and repeating. Another one is the cat stretch. Which dogs also do. By getting down on your knees and arching your back downward and upward 25 times.

The others are not easy to describe. Other than it is a matter of sitting with one leg extended and the other bent inward as close as you can get it and then crossing over with the opposite arm and touching the toe of the extended leg 25 times. Switch sides and repeat.

I haven't been to one since I was in high school. I went one season of varsity football to a chiropractor that most of the team was seeing. I've seen all the promises they make as far as spinal alignment creates better overall wellness and can cure all sorts of illness. I think that's probably a load of garbage.

However, it did make my back feel better and that's really all I expected and wanted out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Go to a real doctor if you're having problems.
    My experience with them for back issues is to prescribe muscle relaxers and anti inflammatory medicine. Then they offer back surgery if it gets bad enough. They mainly treat the symptoms , rather then the root of the cause.

The poll isn't structured well. There are 3 negative answers and no answers that reflect what my answer would be from my own experience.

Almost 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with a ruptured disc at L5-S1, and herniated discs at L4-L5 and L3-L4.
    I tried to go a more conservative route with treatment because 20 years ago, I knew several people who'd had negative outcomes with back surgery.

The route I went involved chiropractic and physical therapy 3-5 days a week. I did this for several months before it started improving, but here I am 20 years later STILL with these messed up discs in my back, never having had surgery...and pain free as long as I take a few ibuprofen a day.

I honestly feel like the chiropractic helped me more than the physical therapy did. My chiropractic sessions gave me more relief, that lasted longer, than the PT sessions did.

I'll also mention that it's been many years since I've been to the chiropracter. Each time I went in, my chiro would check the alignment of my vertebrae. He would then do adjustments to get my spine back into proper alignment. If my spine was still "in alignment" the next time I went in, we'd extend the length of time until my next visit. At first, I couldn't hold an adjustment for 2 days. Eventually my spine was still in alignment 2 days later so he pushed my out to 2 visits per week, then weekly, bi-weekly, and so on. The last time I went to the chiro it had been 6 weeks since my last appointment, and my spine was still in alignment. I've never been back since.

Most people seem to have a very binary opinion of chiropractic. They either think they are quacks/charlatans, as you can already see in the responses to this thread, or they think they are miracle worker.
    I happen to be somewhere in the middle. I know that they aren't quacks because I know that my chiro helped me. I also don't think, however, that they are miracle workers. I think they can help SOME people with SOME situations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ufta View Post
    The poll isn't structured well. There are 3 negative answers and no answers that reflect what my answer would be from my own experience.

Almost 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with a ruptured disc at L5-S1, and herniated discs at L4-L5 and L3-L4.
    I tried to go a more conservative route with treatment because 20 years ago, I knew several people who'd had negative outcomes with back surgery.

The route I went involved chiropractic and physical therapy 3-5 days a week. I did this for several months before it started improving, but here I am 20 years later STILL with these messed up discs in my back, never having had surgery...and pain free as long as I take a few ibuprofen a day.

I honestly feel like the chiropractic helped me more than the physical therapy did. My chiropractic sessions gave me more relief, that lasted longer, than the PT sessions did.

I'll also mention that it's been many years since I've been to the chiropracter. Each time I went in, my chiro would check the alignment of my vertebrae. He would then do adjustments to get my spine back into proper alignment. If my spine was still "in alignment" the next time I went in, we'd extend the length of time until my next visit. At first, I couldn't hold an adjustment for 2 days. Eventually my spine was still in alignment 2 days later so he pushed my out to 2 visits per week, then weekly, bi-weekly, and so on. The last time I went to the chiro it had been 6 weeks since my last appointment, and my spine was still in alignment. I've never been back since.

Most people seem to have a very binary opinion of chiropractic. They either think they are quacks/charlatans, as you can already see in the responses to this thread, or they think they are miracle worker.
    I happen to be somewhere in the middle. I know that they aren't quacks because I know that my chiro helped me. I also don't think, however, that they are miracle workers. I think they can help SOME people with SOME situations.
    I agree. The poll lacks as a min, a Other option.

And I agree. They can help some people, some of the time. While my exercises take care of my sciatica issues, they will not solve the other issue I have with my upper middle back between the shoulders. For that, when it acts up, I have to get the wife to pop it back into alignment. Without her, I would need to go to a chiropractor. Or get some other person to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mind as well goto a witch doctor. Known a few too many people that went in for an alignment and came out with ruptured discs.

Also too many wimp out on their PT. Progress and relief can be agonizingly slow, so they give up or cheat on exercises.

But hey, Batman found a quack in some third world pit that insta healed his back. So why not me? /s

Deleted
    Not regulated enough for me to trust them with the risk of the work they do. Whether the field is valid or not, which I'm not informed enough to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    My experience with them for back issues is to prescribe muscle relaxers and anti inflammatory medicine. Then they offer back surgery if it gets bad enough. They mainly treat the symptoms , rather then the root of the cause.
    Not my experience at all but maybe US medical care is different, I can not say.
    In any case, I would not want to be "treated" by someone that does not really know what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Not my experience at all but maybe US medical care is different, I can not say.
    In any case, I would not want to be "treated" by someone that does not really know what they are doing.
    Ya, physical therapy is usually the "first choice." If they recommend surgery first, go to a different practice, preferably one that doesn't just do surgeries and has a PT center attached (or an agreement with a PT group), for a second opinion. If you're a hammer, every problem starts looking like a nail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    It's fine for a deep massage. It's pure BS for anything beyond that.

I suffered horrible headaches day in and day out for five weeks. I went to the doctor and they did all sorts of tests(MRI/CAT Scans, cardio stress tests, blood work etc.) and found nothing to explain the headaches. Eventually my doctor suggested going to a chiropractor and referred me to one that did work for the Cincinnati Bengals. I went every morning for two or three weeks and with every treatment the headaches became more and more manageable. Is it what actually fixed my issues? No idea, but it certainly seemed to help and provided me the most relief.

i dont know about US. but here in Austria there are chiropractors and osteopaths, its a further /special education for internists /general physiscians. Their treatments are covered by social insurance.I myself have had sucessful use of their services. But it doesnt look like some of the stuff shown in the video, some of it seems very non-medicine treatment.

terrible poll. personal experience? depends on each individual chiropractor. I had absolutely awful experience and I had a great one. in the same office, but from a different person. then again, going to a physical therapist results in a very similar spread of experience. some are good. others are awful.

(then again, I had the same kinds of experiences with various medical doctors, so what I'm getting at is it depends on a skill of an individual and unfortunately, you cannot tell if they are good or not until you are in their chair. though I will say one thing. going to a shitty primary physician doesn't result usually result in injuries on the very first visit, so there's that? instead you just get misdiagnosed and given wrong long term treatment. or no treatment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really worth the risk.

I found (for sciatica) yoga was infinitely better than going to a Chiropractor, plus significantly cheaper.