Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Can’t say I really care for the changes one way or the other, it’s unlikely I’ll change what pets I’ll use no matter what benifits they give.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavick View Post
    As opposed to now where it's literally just a choice of Quillen/Moth/Crane or Corehound/Netherray (and whatever couple I forgot)?

The assumption that every fight/situation is going to require an offensive dispel is also absurd. You might want to wait and see what all pet classes/skins are included in the tenacity spec (1/3 would be a reasonable assumption) before you start hurling out unfounded statements of "lack of choice".

In fact, that amount of overreaction in this thread is well past the bounds of stupidity. People need to get a grip on their cognitive functions.
    It's by family, all cats will be X, etc. And you're not locked to to BRes and Lust, that's just silly. This locks you to families MUCH more than anything in legion.

And I never said anything about offensive dispel, it'll force more spirit beasts and stags sure, but tenacity and its 10% hp and 20% dr cd is too much. The rest are a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    It's by family, all cats will be X, etc. And you're not locked to to BRes and Lust, that's just silly. This locks you to families MUCH more than anything in legion.

And I never said anything about offensive dispel, it'll force more spirit beasts and stags sure, but tenacity and its 10% hp and 20% dr cd is too much. The rest are a joke.
    They aren't the only thing with that, literally every pet that ends up in the tenacity tree will have it, which like I said, a reasonable assumption would be 1/3 of all pets.

And as for not being locked currently, you're technically correct but I don't think I've ever done a raid this expansion without one of those pets I mentioned just on the off-chance I ended up needing the utility, particularly brez. Desolate Host and fights that split the raid up were a harsh lesson on that at times.

Now, this isn't me saying you're somehow going to bring any pet you want at any point, but you're certainly going to have more options with losing much, much less with these changes. That's just common sense.

They aren't the only thing with that, literally every pet that ends up in the tenacity tree will have it, which like I said, a reasonable assumption would be 1/3 of all pets.

And as for not being locked currently, you're technically correct but I don't think I've ever done a raid this expansion without one of those pets I mentioned just on the off-chance I ended up needing the utility, particularly brez. Desolate Host and fights that split the raid up were a harsh lesson on that at times.

Now, this isn't me saying you're somehow going to bring any pet you want at any point, but you're certainly going to have more options with losing much, much less with these changes. That's just common sense.
    Right now I can raid with a cat, I've actually been able to raid with a cat or a wolf since the game came out, now raiding with Cat, which may be my favorite pet family, will not be an option.

The only families you'll see are tenacity families unless they buff the other two and nerf tenacity.

Right now I can raid with a cat, I've actually been able to raid with a cat or a wolf since the game came out, now raiding with Cat, which may be my favorite pet family, will not be an option.

The only families you'll see are tenacity families unless they buff the other two and nerf tenacity.
    If you're raiding with a cat now (and always have been) then I very much doubt that you're worried about min/maxing your raid utility. In which case, I also very much doubt that these changes affect you in any way, since all the pet classes do the same damage no matter what.

So in other words, I have no idea why you're really bitching if not just to bitch about nothing.

This is all notwithstanding the fact that if you're so tied to this precious cat pet, you could still use it wherever else if for no reason other than having your own personal bloodlust/heroism.
    Last edited by Mavick; 2018-02-14 at 07:42 PM.

Absolutely. Like I said, they gave and they took. If you need to bring hero, you have more options than you do now. That's a given. And with Brez gone, that argument is gone too. If you don't need to bring hero though, you are without a doubt going to be shoehorned into Tenacity. Do we have more pet choice now compared to Brez/Lust pets of Legion? Absolutely. But that doesn't make it the correct design choice. They're trying to remove aspects that force us into using certain pets, but then adding more aspects forcing us into certain pets. Give and take.

The ideal situation is keep everything they have said, and allow pet respecs. Tadah! All problems solved.

If you're raiding with a cat now (and always have been) then I very much doubt that you're worried about min/maxing your raid utility. In which case, I also very much doubt that these changes affect you in any way, since all the pet classes do the same damage no matter what.

So in other words, I have no idea why you're really bitching if not just to bitch about nothing.

This is all notwithstanding the fact that if you're so tied to this precious cat pet, you could still use it wherever else if for no reason other than having your own personal bloodlust/heroism.
    It has nothing to do with a single pet family but the fact that right now you can currently use every pet but soon 2/3 of them will become "sub optimal" for what? "Identity"? Remember spec "identity" is how some specs ended up so shit in Legion.

In their quest to let us bring whichever pet we wanted, they killed the personality and utility of our pets.

I for one am very positive about the idea of Hunter pets returning to a state where they matter.

It has nothing to do with a single pet family but the fact that right now you can currently use every pet but soon 2/3 of them will become "sub optimal" for what? "Identity"? Remember spec "identity" is how some specs ended up so shit in Legion.
    And this. You have to remember, Brez is gone, so it doesn't matter. So ignore it in Legion as well(for this argument).

In Legion, if you don't bring Brez, you can bring ANY pet you want and the gain is the same.
    In BFA, you ideally should only bring Tenacity pets, which is 1/3 of the pets, and excludes many classic/popular pets(wolves/cats/raptors).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    In their quest to let us bring whichever pet we wanted, they killed the personality and utility of our pets.

I for one am very positive about the idea of Hunter pets returning to a state where they matter.
    But..they're killing the personality and fun of pets with this change? It's now going to be "Hope you like Tenacity pets because that's all you should use". If you like cats or dogs or spiders or whatever, you're out of luck.

All that being said, I don't see Tenacity going live as is(or rather, Ferocity/Cunning going live as is with Tenacity remaining). Whether they allow respecs or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Aettis View Post
    And this. You have to remember, Brez is gone, so it doesn't matter. So ignore it in Legion as well(for this argument).

In Legion, if you don't bring Brez, you can bring ANY pet you want and the gain is the same.
    In BFA, you ideally should only bring Tenacity pets, which is 1/3 of the pets, and excludes many classic/popular pets(wolves/cats/raptors).
    And even disregarding them taking pet Bres out, hunter pet bres has always been kind of shit since pets aren't often in range so you have to move them around to get the bres off. We've always had a couple of druids (best Bres imo, instant, doesn't really cost them anything), a DK (tank, so its suboptimal in some ways), and a couple of locks (still good, but cast time). So why use a cumbersome hunter Bres?

And even disregarding them taking pet Bres out, hunter pet bres has always been kind of shit since pets aren't often in range so you have to move them around to get the bres off. We've always had a couple of druids (best Bres imo, instant, doesn't really cost them anything), a DK (tank, so its suboptimal in some ways), and a couple of locks (still good, but cast time). So why use a cumbersome hunter Bres?
    Yeah, exactly. Even as a raider, I often don't use my brez pet because of this exact reason. It's much easier for one of the other classes to do it than for me, especially when the raid is split. Good luck trying to continue your rotation with Kill Command/DF while your pet runs over to wherever the person is to rez. Good riddance imo.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Keeping fingers crossed for those Harvest Golem updated models to become mechanical pets.

As opposed to now where it's literally just a choice of Quillen/Moth/Crane or Corehound/Netherray (and whatever couple I forgot)?

The assumption that every fight/situation is going to require an offensive dispel is also absurd. You might want to wait and see what all pet classes/skins are included in the tenacity spec (1/3 would be a reasonable assumption) before you start hurling out unfounded statements of "lack of choice".

In fact, that amount of overreaction in this thread is well past the bounds of stupidity. People need to get a grip on their cognitive functions.
    In any raid group you should have both BL and Combat ress from other classes. So you are free to use any pet.

It's only in m+ where the pool of players is limited and a Hunter can fill many roles that are often limited to other specs.

And Hunters itself get a baseline offensive dispel/soothe effect back in BfA, so even if they implement a pet with offensive dispel, it's not required if some encounter/dungeon requires it.

The bigger issue right now in BfA is that both Ferocity and Cunning are useless for raiding and Spirits Beasts will be overpowered as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    In any raid group you should have both BL and Combat ress from other classes. So you are free to use any pet.
    This is assuming that those other battle res'es aren't the ones who die first (meaning the more you have the better, as any intelligent person would deduce) and the fact that it's not some gimmicky fight that splits the raids so multiple BL are also needed.

The point I was making was that unless you're just so goddamn tied to a pet skin that you just couldn't bear to do a fight without it (like a fucking cat) most top end hunters would opt to bring the higher utility pets, which were exactly the ones I listed.

Deleted
    It makes pet choice matter.

Which is entirely a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    To say that it pisses me off that they're going back to the days of 'x pet is x spec only' would be a colossal understatement. Why anyone with a functional brain thinks less choice is a good thing, is beyond me.

This is a dealbreaker for me.
    Ikr... I'll play my hunter regardless, but if it'll be a main or alt is up for debate...

If you're raiding with a cat now (and always have been) then I very much doubt that you're worried about min/maxing your raid utility..
    In any raid of 15 or more people pet choice is totally irrelevant currently. That will certainly change if a certain pet spec gives you a flat 10% damage reduction.

Movement speed sounds way better than max health tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumrocks View Post
    Recent Blue post on these changes: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post48884018 -Daetur
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Haven't seen discussion on this around here yet:
    On the alpha, hunter pets received some changes!

I'm uncertain how I feel about that. On one hand, it's great to see special abilities return. Then again, being shoe-horned into specific pet classes?

I play PvP mostly. That means taking a Cunning pet. Ideally, my pet would also have either a slow or a purge for the special ability, which reduces my choices roughly down to Moths, Spiders and Warp Stalkers.
    There may be one or two others that fit the bill. You get the idea though. It's limiting.
    Same goes for PvE -- You'll probably wanna get a Ferocity pet.

Is having pets be more individually unique worth the restrictions?

Edit: Blind old me oversaw some posts in the BfA thread. Oh well. I think this deserves a thread on its own.
    pets are cosmetic now. thats why they made the change.

Quote Originally Posted by ydraw View Post
    In any raid of 15 or more people pet choice is totally irrelevant currently.
    As I've said repeatedly, no it is not. Jesus.