Beta Key Giveaway Week 3: Winners have been selected!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    The sooner they run out of old things to keep returning to the better. WoW has always always been at its strongest when creating new stuff rather than relying on the prestige of the old to carry it. Far too often they just straight up neglect to develop characters or concepts because "they're that old thing people liked, so they'll care about it by default, right?"

Hopefully after BfA we'll be well and truly into the territory of brand new lore. That being said, I worry they'll lean way too heavily on the old gods at some point, and they did go ahead and create a whole time travel/alternate universe expansion just so they could go back to Warcraft I. Hopefully they've learned from that, though. Fingers crossed.

You must not be paying attention after Wotlk...
    The greatest ever thread on MMO-Champion

I work a lot, fuck my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    The way I see it we're about reaching the end of pre-existing lore that was written or reaches back to the dawn of the first Warcraft game.

Who is left after Sargeras, N'zoth and Azshara? I'm going to guess we might revisit the Lich King in the expansion after BfA, but soon after that, or before that they will have to start introducing new lore and characters to keep the story moving forward, that is if they seek to continue WoW for another half dozen years at least.

But can they do it? Will the playerbase like it or will too many start dropping off because it's not 'warcraft' anymore? Can they successfully sell new lore that has no ties to Warcraft 1, 2 or 3 ?
    I never cared for lore, and I think that as long as the gameplay is good, mechanics of bosses is good and that PvP is fairly balanced (I know this is hard), the game will endure. Lore is a minor thing in a game if the gameplay is amazing.
    • Cataclysm Lover - Legion Hater (Cata>MoP>WotLK>TBC>WoD>Legion)
    • Keep Classic Servers 100% original or no point!
    • Always looking for skilled OW players to push rating!

the game wont die as long as the genre is still somewhat popular.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I am sure that Garrosh Hellscream did not exist in the dawn of the first WarCraft game.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and to answer that - they have already been doing that since WOTLK.
    To be honest both cataclysm and wod are full of characters, and story arcs based in the warcraft 1/2/3. Wod is basically a Marvel "what if" comic of an old story, in which orcs reject the demons and we invade them instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Clearcut View Post
    It no longer feels like warcraft to me already. It's the reason i disliked TBC, it was no longer the medieval fantasy game i had grew up with
    Where and when was "Warcraft" a medieval fantas franchise? The first game started with Orcs from another planet! What the hell?
    - German Roleplayer and Warcraft Pen&Paper-Game Master. ("Indus" is one of my most liked character creations)
    - After one year I learned one important thing: Never ever go to the off-topic forums.
    - Main History: Blood DK (WotLK/Cata), Holy Paladin (Cata), Mistweaver Monk (MoP), Retribution Paladin (MoP/WoD), Windwalker Monk (Legion), Tank Paladin (BfA)

They have been writing new lore for years and they are writing new lore for BfA.

In any case, I doubt WoW lives and dies with it's lore. I haven't followed it since WC3 and even then it didn't mean that much to me. Ingame systems and game play are way more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    The sooner they run out of old things to keep returning to the better. WoW has always always been at its strongest when creating new stuff rather than relying on the prestige of the old to carry it. Far too often they just straight up neglect to develop characters or concepts because "they're that old thing people liked, so they'll care about it by default, right?"

Hopefully after BfA we'll be well and truly into the territory of brand new lore. That being said, I worry they'll lean way too heavily on the old gods at some point, and they did go ahead and create a whole time travel/alternate universe expansion just so they could go back to Warcraft I. Hopefully they've learned from that, though. Fingers crossed.
    I really hope that we see the first good steps right now. Establishing character traits of Saurfang, Baine, Gallywix, Anduin and Shaw now with the two cinematics, focus on lore character presence on alpha...Maybe it's Christie Golden, maybe the team itself is, but I'm very happy with the new direction and I hope that they are developing nice WoW-Characters right now. Illidan was cool and stuff, but it's time for the New Age Heroes and Villains to shine. I just hope they have new ideas for developing villains, too, because right now they are just doing "this is a new villain, he will be a raid boss soon, have fun" and no "here, a new villain of the greater scheme, you are not strong enough or he is too smart to face you right now". Dunno if killing the Main Legion Threat was that smart, but I just hope hey don't throw N'Zoth out of the window for the middle raid, please just don't let the endboss be a "surprise" again.
    - German Roleplayer and Warcraft Pen&Paper-Game Master. ("Indus" is one of my most liked character creations)
    - After one year I learned one important thing: Never ever go to the off-topic forums.
    - Main History: Blood DK (WotLK/Cata), Holy Paladin (Cata), Mistweaver Monk (MoP), Retribution Paladin (MoP/WoD), Windwalker Monk (Legion), Tank Paladin (BfA)

WoW lore is pretty garbo. It's just a mash of lovecraft and high fantasy.

They're not really running out of lore though. Once we defeat the old gods on azeroth there are probably other planets with titan souls (presumably with old gods) and once the Parthenon has finished dealing with sargeras I'm sure they will resume their search. The there are the void lords which will probably be where wow ends.

They have at least a few more expansions of content before they have to make up new stuff or move on to a another mmo

This terrible planet of pink-skinned freaks.
    Kel'thuzad is still out there.
    Infinite Dragonflight is still out there.
    The Defilas Brotherhood is still out there.
    The Twilights Hammer is still out there.
    The Nerubians are up to something with that big egg they added in Cata.
    What are the other Goblin Cartels up to?
    What was that giant serpent in Gundrak?
    Wratheon is a wild card.
    Bolvar is losing his mind.
    The Sha will never cease.
    We never went to Farahlon.
    We still have never seen the other side of Azeroth.
    Just because the Legion is broken, doesn't mean demons aren't still a threat.
    Even a small part of the nightmare endures...

Thing is, I'd say 80% of the population can't tell the difference between what's lore outside of the game and the lore inside aka whats new, whats been changed, added, retcon etc. Essentially most players see just the games lore and thats it.

So no, as long as theres some sort of story it'll be fine. I'd even go as far as to say after BFA we could get - Wrath with bolvar expansion - resurrection of deathwing - Garrosh's son - Draenor civil war - last of the legion and the game would still go fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    In major universaties they do not allow students to use the internet for research... for OBVIOUS reasons that you can't see apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    The way I see it we're about reaching the end of pre-existing lore that was written or reaches back to the dawn of the first Warcraft game.

Who is left after Sargeras, N'zoth and Azshara? I'm going to guess we might revisit the Lich King in the expansion after BfA, but soon after that, or before that they will have to start introducing new lore and characters to keep the story moving forward, that is if they seek to continue WoW for another half dozen years at least.

But can they do it? Will the playerbase like it or will too many start dropping off because it's not 'warcraft' anymore? Can they successfully sell new lore that has no ties to Warcraft 1, 2 or 3 ?
    Worst part of MMO-C is that people stop thinking for themselfs.

Very basic:

1)All the potential expansions you mention(4 different). The average lifespan of an expansion is 3 years. That gives us 12 years of gameplay(at bare minimum).

2)So the question you ask is: "What are people doing after 12 years?" Most likely, people would had moved on with thier lives. Some will stay. Old people will get replaced with new generations, who never tryed WoW before(THIS part is what keeps the game going on, not new Lore. People must get replaced, as logic says that you will get fed up after X amount of time, no matter what they attempt. This is why you welcome the casual audience, who might turn out to become hardcore - just like the transistion we all been through).

3)We can look at at games such as WC3 or D2(games that are older than the average WoW gamer). Or some old school MMO. People still play these.

I mean, you should be able of think of these things by yourself.
    Last edited by Strifeload; 2018-02-14 at 10:11 AM.