10+ Year Old Account

Watercooling an ASUS GTX 1070 TI Turbo

Pretty much as the title states I'm looking for ideas on watercooling an ASUS GTX 1070 TI Turbo.

It has pretty much no full waterblock cover support that I can see, which is not surprising, so I'll need to use a universal block. Which means I need to find a way to cool the other components of the GPU which I admit I am brand new to. Should I just use a few heatsinks on the VRAM/VRM? Would a 140mm fan blowing directly onto the GPU be sufficient?

I need to stop deal hunting when I upgrade...got an amazing price on eBay for the 1070 TI but a 1080 would have been so much more convenient (and not that much more expensive).

Why do you need the Waterblock ?
    Bad stock cooler or you want to OC ?
    Yes, 1x 140mm fan is enough and you need small heatsinks for Vram etc.
    Oh and if the price was really good you can just sell it for abit more and get a 2070/2080 in 2 month.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd definitely like breathing room to OC but mostly it's going to be for looks. I'm setting up a custom loop for my CPU so I figure I might as well get it going to the GPU as well.

There is a reason why people who want to watercool their graphics card usually stick to the reference model, there are too many different cards to make it worth the time and effort to make waterblocks for all of them.

And even though your card looks a lot like the reference one, there are some mostly small differences which prevents the reference ones from fitting or working correctly.

You already stated you're going for a custom loop, so budegt is not an issue, but i would just check the Corsair or NZXT GPU brackets plus a dedicated 120mm AIO. Those brackets support a huge variety of cards and are piss easy to mount.

Reasoning: other than being cheaper, the issue with custom loops is that temps are tied to the order of the components to cool in the loop. Given how GPU runs hotter, you would like too cool that first (to have the coolest liquid) and then CPU. Anyway however you put the loop, one of the two will just benefit less from the coolant because it will receive hotter liquid.

I'd just make two separate loops. You can go with dual 240mm (which most cases should support) or 240+120, possibly all set to take air from outside the case for best perfomance.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    You already stated you're going for a custom loop, so budegt is not an issue, but i would just check the Corsair or NZXT GPU brackets plus a dedicated 120mm AIO. Those brackets support a huge variety of cards and are piss easy to mount.

Reasoning: other than being cheaper, the issue with custom loops is that temps are tied to the order of the components to cool in the loop. Given how GPU runs hotter, you would like too cool that first (to have the coolest liquid) and then CPU. Anyway however you put the loop, one of the two will just benefit less from the coolant because it will receive hotter liquid.

I'd just make two separate loops. You can go with dual 240mm (which most cases should support) or 240+120, possibly all set to take air from outside the case for best perfomance.
    Really ? watercooling and a AiO ?

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Really ? watercooling and a AiO ?
    Yes, it requires some degree of modding (basically unmount the stock cooler on your gpu and mpounting bracket + aio) but simpler than a custom loop, plus until they decide to change GPU design altogether there's a very high chance you can reuse parts when you change GPU. Again, if i watercool, i want to get the best out of it - for normal everyday use auir cooling is more than fine and custome loops are awesome but in terms of performance are just slightly better than a proper air cooling.

Here's what i meant: https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-g12-white

P.S: there are aftermarket airo coolers for PGU too. Look at Raijintek or Arctic. Also, it may be worth to add some passive heatsinks to VRM chips too.

There certainly are some water blocks for the 1070 turbo and it seems to have the same cooler on it, but I couldn't find a single PCB shot of a 1070 ti turbo to make comparisons if the layout is the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    The few comments I've found on the subject seem to indicate that it has its own unique layout and is not compatible with any 1070 blocks. I might take it apart and take some pictures if anyone is up to helping identify if this is the case, but that seems like a risk with the prices of GPUs right now...I'd really hate for something to go wrong before the build.

I've actually been considering an AIO for either the GPU or CPU, but I do want a custom loop for at least one of them, for looks and to push myself and improve my building.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    The few comments I've found on the subject seem to indicate that it has its own unique layout and is not compatible with any 1070 blocks. I might take it apart and take some pictures if anyone is up to helping identify if this is the case, but that seems like a risk with the prices of GPUs right now...I'd really hate for something to go wrong before the build.

I've actually been considering an AIO for either the GPU or CPU, but I do want a custom loop for at least one of them, for looks and to push myself and improve my building.
    Yes, most of the time when watercooling, people buy the reference model, as there will be water blocks readily available.

This being said, check out what EK may have in stock for this particular card.

Yeah, i was planning to do the same but honestly, building up a custiom loop is expensive as hell and i don't like it at all. Looks are a whole another level (i know i would make awesome stuff with them) but again, it then comes with maintenance and such. That'0s why i went for a 240 aio for PCU and just mounted my 960 vertically on the CoolerMaster bracket to show off. (disclaimer: GPUs run hotter when vertical and especially if you put them right near the glass panel).

You also asked for heatsinks on VRAM - they're fine to have but not really needed; just be sure to use thermal adhesive (or they come with it) to avoid them falling off the card.

Anyway, here's a nice video that shows the G12 i was talking above - he really just mounted it on the GPU and results are more than simply good. You lose in looks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I wonder at some point, wouldn't it be cheaper to just chuck your PC in a fridge instead . . .
    People have actually tried, doesn't actually work as there's no airflow with active heating components that continually heat up the air.

As far as the original question goes: No idea but last I HEARD it was identical with a GTX 1080 FE PCB?
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

I need to stop deal hunting when I upgrade...got an amazing price on eBay for the 1070 TI but a 1080 would have been so much more convenient (and not that much more expensive).
    return/resell the 1070 and grab the 1080?

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    return/resell the 1070 and grab the 1080?
    Unless the price difference is too high. 1070 is perfectly fine until you start gaming at higher than 1080 res.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post

that's a myth that has been debunked a million times over. Just stop it already.

Topic: If you want to watercool your GPU with an AIO I'd go with the NZXT Kraken mounting kit.
    You will NOT need VRM heatsinks when the fan blows directly on them (The Kraken mounting kit lets you install a fan next to the AIO)
    Last edited by Serenity91; 2018-02-26 at 08:54 AM.