Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

NRA Switches Gears, Lobbies for Identity Politics and Fear

In the previous year where the NRA had no shortage of fiery political videos. The National Rifle Association is gleefully escalating its culture-war offensive with it's latest ad.

In the commercial, a man wearing what is admittedly a pretty cool T-shirt stands in front of a flat-screen TV displaying a series of anti-Trump, pro-gun-control sound bites from CNN anchors, John Oliver, and other enemies of the state. After silently digesting these anti-American diatribes, the man dons a pair of safety goggles, turns around, and smashes the TV with an enormous hammer.

This is Leni Riefenstahl levels of propaganda, Triumph of Identity Politics.

Then a slogan appears: “The truth is our greatest weapon.” Which is confusing for a weapons lobby. I mean guns are our greatest weapon, or hammers?

Though that shirt is pretty hipster, even if he's wearing it unironically.
    Last edited by Milchshake; 2018-02-13 at 12:22 AM.

'truth'. Quite cringey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep which will continue to happen until the left arm themselves legally and learn to shoot. Until that happens I can’t act surprised. This kind of violent untimidation has them feeling it works.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Oh man cult45 will cheer at this ad like no other, I love the whole "truth is our weapon" yet they love to silence the facts.

I fail to see how does this have to do anything with identity politics. If anything, it's downright rejection of it. As for NRA having their own TV channel, that's great. I sure wish all big lobbies had their own TV channels instead of influencing the media and politics.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder when NRA and their hoard of conservative mouth breathers will realize they're not the only ones that own firearms in this country? Their intimidation tactics work on no one.

You are aware even with the upmost confusion that ''Southern guy who is Republican, blue collar and have guns and CSA flags'' is an identity that is catered to ?

As for ''debate'', the far right always struggled immensely to ''win'' debates when ''I take my big gun and I shoot in the head the other guy'' was not allowed. Big words frighten them and are unmnaly, not like a big, long and hard canon of their Glock they lovingly oil every day talking softly to it.
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2018-02-13 at 12:30 AM.

The same truth where they call for the ban on bump fire stocks only to do a 180 as soon as the Las Vegas shooting dissappears from media interest?

I mean. At the end of the day the trump voter/gun nut overlap is pretty big. And I say gun nut because lots of gun owners are totally fine people. Hunters and people who go to the range or whatever for sport. But there are absolutely enough gun nuts that the trump style denial of anything that proves your version of reality is wrong should work just as well for the gun crowd as the trump voter base.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I wonder when NRA and their hoard of conservative mouth breathers will realize they're not the only ones that own firearms in this country? Their intimidation tactics work on no one.
    The NRA will realize this when everyone has a firearm legally allowed to own one and can aim. You’ll find these tough talking idiots buttoning up real quick finally getting behind gun control. When they realize other people have guns too.

That Wild Wild West idiotic wet dream will come crashing down real quick.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Calling for the ban increases sales on the product. It's a way to make money for the people who fund them.
    No shit. The point was they'll tell you about as much truth as the people who wrote the bible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    How is this switching gears? The NRA has always been about identity politics and fear. Or were you being facetious/sarcastic?
    That was for the people that would deny the NRA is playing to identity politics. See reply #5.

Though that shirt is pretty hipster, even if he's wearing it unironically.
    Was this not sarcastic enough for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    In the commercial, a man wearing what is admittedly a pretty cool T-shirt stands in front of a flat-screen TV displaying a series of anti-Trump, pro-gun-control sound bites from CNN anchors, John Oliver, and other enemies of the state. After silently digesting these anti-American diatribes, the man dons a pair of safety goggles, turns around, and smashes the TV with an enormous hammer.
    Is this a quote or are these your words, specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    The NRA will realize this when everyone has a firearm legally allowed to own one and can aim. You’ll find these tough talking idiots buttoning up real quick finally getting behind gun control. When they realize other people have guns too.

That Wild Wild West idiotic wet dream will come crashing down real quick.
    I think you (and probably the rest here) will get a kick out of this video. ^_^

So are we referring to the actual truth or the John Lott gun lobby truth? Lol.

Love it. The ad itself shows you literally dozens of examples of the opposite point of view that clearly show an already easily identifiable trend of leftist propaganda for gun "control" , yet one ad for their point of view is "Nazi levels of propaganda"

Do you honestly hear yourself?

If you want gun control in America, prove it works. Write your politicians to come up with something other than the non-sense they currently push like "ban assault weapons (don't exist)" or "ban guns that look scary" (but for intents and purposes act just like a hand gun) or "limit clip size" which has relevancy in such a miniscule number of gun crimes that it is literally a joke talking point pushed by leftist propaganda to pretend they wanna do something.

Listen, I'm not a card carrying member of the NRA. I occasionally hunt and even less occasionally shoot guns for recreation. There is likely no gun restrictions that America would actually pass that would stop me from owning the guns I do or buying nearly any gun I would actually want to purchase other than an outright ban. It's just your leftist ideals of gun control are not well-thought out and will likely do very little to curb ACTUAL gun crimes.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Love it. The ad itself shows you literally dozens of examples of the opposite point of view that clearly show an already easily identifiable trend of leftist propaganda for gun "control" , yet one ad for their point of view is "Nazi levels of propaganda"

Do you honestly hear yourself?

If you want gun control in America, prove it works. Write your politicians to come up with something other than the non-sense they currently push like "ban assault weapons (don't exist)" or "ban guns that look scary" (but for intents and purposes act just like a hand gun) or "limit clip size" which has relevancy in such a miniscule number of gun crimes that it is literally a joke talking point pushed by leftist propaganda to pretend they wanna do something.

Listen, I'm not a card carrying member of the NRA. I occasionally hunt and even less occasionally shoot guns for recreation. There is likely no gun restrictions that America would actually pass that would stop me from owning the guns I do or buying nearly any gun I would actually want to purchase other than an outright ban. It's just your leftist ideals of gun control are not well-thought out and will likely do very little to curb ACTUAL gun crimes.
    There's like a thousand studies out there 'proving' exactly what you're insisting we 'prove'. It's not my fault you and the NRA would prefer to ignore them and smash TVs and try to intimidate everyone into thinking you're right, Goebbels.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    Oh man cult45 will cheer at this ad like no other, I love the whole "truth is our weapon" yet they love to silence the facts.
    Because their truth is their weapon. Their belief is their truth. Their power is their belief.

That is the problem with those that put stock into faith over results.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by bash the fash View Post
    So are we referring to the actual truth or the John Lott gun lobby truth? Lol.
    The NRA are very selective about the truth they accept.

Alternative truth

Quote Originally Posted by bash the fash View Post
    There's like a thousand studies out there 'proving' exactly what you're insisting we 'prove'. It's not my fault you and the NRA would prefer to ignore them and smash TVs and try to intimidate everyone into thinking you're right, Goebbels.
    Nevermind the fact that he conviniently ignored all the sensible proposals on gun control. Such as limiting guns from mentally unstable people.