10+ Year Old Account

For those coming back to WoW after a long absence?

Has anyone else ever stopped playing wow, or recently came back after a long absence

If so anybody come back to where most of their former guild stopped playing and they felt kind of out of sync?

What did you do to get back into the swing of things, and what would you you could share on raiding?

Lastly did you generally start over, of how long did it take you to figure out if you would play a main or go with am alt, how long did it take you?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I have droughts where I start off on an expansion and then quit after a few months and come back at the end of the expansion, quit, then start at the expansion again. I will admit that Legion has kept me the most subbed since vanilla/wotlk but I still stopped at thanksgiving and just now returned to a guild that is no longer on the server.

I always stay up to date with the game and will generally just check out forum posts to see who is willing to take a casual player. I don't start from scratch unless I feel completely lost and will generally go with the same class I played when I took leave.

I came back after a long absence (pre-Firelands to Legion pre-patch WoD). I started with the HFC LFRs and began hunting guilds, hopped from Malorne to A52 Horde, and found a guild that I raided with for a little while in Emerald Nightmare. I picked up the same class I'd played in WotLK/Cata, but switched specs.

As much as I hate to say it, LFR is a great option for people who just want to catch up on the story and don't care as much about seeing the full bosses from, say, Highmaul and Blackrock Foundry, or EN and Nighthold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aestereal View Post
    I came back after a long absence (pre-Firelands to Legion pre-patch WoD). I started with the HFC LFRs and began hunting guilds, hopped from Malorne to A52 Horde, and found a guild that I raided with for a little while in Emerald Nightmare. I picked up the same class I'd played in WotLK/Cata, but switched specs.

As much as I hate to say it, LFR is a great option for people who just want to catch up on the story and don't care as much about seeing the full bosses from, say, Highmaul and Blackrock Foundry, or EN and Nighthold.
    So LFR is the best way to start out coming back?

Honestly never looked down upon it and ran it a little before I left, but I still had a regular raiding guild at the time, is that still even a thing. We did it bit more organized than most, but just curious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xpose View Post
    I have droughts where I start off on an expansion and then quit after a few months and come back at the end of the expansion, quit, then start at the expansion again. I will admit that Legion has kept me the most subbed since vanilla/wotlk but I still stopped at thanksgiving and just now returned to a guild that is no longer on the server.

I always stay up to date with the game and will generally just check out forum posts to see who is willing to take a casual player. I don't start from scratch unless I feel completely lost and will generally go with the same class I played when I took leave.
    Yeah, I have tried to stay caught up every 4 to 6 months, but I will I am dreading relearning rotations and what not.

It depends on whether you want to raid more seriously before the expac is over. How long have you been out? What are your goals for the next few months? Are you more of a tourist trying to see the story, or are you trying to build your character as big as it can get?

And yes, regular raiding guilds are a thing. I'm raid leading in the one my friends built now, and we're taking it slow, but we'll be starting mythic soon (tm).

Deleted
    I do it a lot. I often get burnt out (or bored in WoD's case) at some point in the expansion and then come back fresh at the start of the next one. I tend to just look for guilds around my skill level on wowprogress and chat to some of the officers to get a vibe for the guild and then commit to the one I like the most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aestereal View Post
    It depends on whether you want to raid more seriously before the expac is over. How long have you been out? What are your goals for the next few months? Are you more of a tourist trying to see the story, or are you trying to build your character as big as it can get?

And yes, regular raiding guilds are a thing. I'm raid leading in the one my friends built now, and we're taking it slow, but we'll be starting mythic soon (tm).
    I have been out since WoD, I am not expecting to jump right back into Raiding, mostly because I don't know what all is involved and what I will need and what works what way not.

Nor do I know what gear I would like to go for, so basically that is why I am trying to determine what's the best way of coming back who else has done so what their experience was.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skeng View Post
    I do it a lot. I often get burnt out (or bored in WoD's case) at some point in the expansion and then come back fresh at the start of the next one. I tend to just look for guilds around my skill level on wowprogress and chat to some of the officers to get a vibe for the guild and then commit to the one I like the most.
    Ok gotcha, probably what I am looking to do, are there still a lot of different guilds, have most fallen off?

I'm on US-Sargeras, and there are plenty of guilds recruiting in Trade Chat. They range from 8/11 Normal to 7-8/11 Mythic, all trying to find bodies. There are also a handful of PvP guilds plugging for members for RBG teams and a few strictly social guilds as well.

Haven’t had a steady crew of people in a long time. Since Wrath every time I’ve taken a break I’ve returned to a split guild and a dead friend’s list. I just find new people to play with, rinse and repeat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I know the gearing process is decent, Mythic+ / Heroic Raids aren't too shabby - But if you're coming without ANY friends, I would imagine either making friends or joining a guild of folks that are into the same progression you're looking for is the best bet.

I have only been on big realms since Mid Wrath, so I honestly have no idea how smaller realms are - but you SHOULD be able to find folks just like yourself - The games very active and fun right now IMO.. although the game will basically be slowing down over the next 3-5 months until the pre-patch hits, then everyone will be back that's going to be playing BfA (likely?), so it's probably better to start now before a lot of the population goes into hibernation until the Pre-Patch/BfA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Fox View Post
    Haven’t had a steady crew of people in a long time. Since Wrath every time I’ve taken a break I’ve returned to a split guild and a dead friend’s list. I just find new people to play with, rinse and repeat.
    Yeah same. Finding a good guild is rough especially when relearning. Don’t want to join those just looking for bodies or snobs with lots of drama. That also use ventrilo or something lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    I know the gearing process is decent, Mythic+ / Heroic Raids aren't too shabby - But if you're coming without ANY friends, I would imagine either making friends or joining a guild of folks that are into the same progression you're looking for is the best bet.

I have only been on big realms since Mid Wrath, so I honestly have no idea how smaller realms are - but you SHOULD be able to find folks just like yourself - The games very active and fun right now IMO.. although the game will basically be slowing down over the next 3-5 months until the pre-patch hits, then everyone will be back that's going to be playing BfA (likely?), so it's probably better to start now before a lot of the population goes into hibernation until the Pre-Patch/BfA
    Yeah I love small get know others play styles get a good core that builds. I just wonder what the learning curve and experience of others who come back from almost scratch except for lots of alts.