Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The giving birth to monster baby bit is amusing, would be hilarious if it was true.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    The giving birth to monster baby bit is amusing, would be hilarious if it was true.
    Only one way to find out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    That's the South for you.
    In 1720 everyone had strange beliefs. The entire medical world still believed in "Bad air" causing disease at this point.

Hah, that was hilarious... :'D

I thought this was going to be about Georgian woman. What a shame

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Oh, to me eating birds to get a stiff one was news.
    I wonder if eggs count as birds.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43044066

I actually found this really amusing
    I have no idea where the BBC is getting that this is "Georgian", which I thought they actually meant Georgia (Russia). But looking into it, this book was popular in England, published in England, and most likely written in England. The book was initially claimed to be written by Aristotle, hence the title, but no one knows who the author is. What is for sure is that this book has nothing to do with Georgia, the US State, or even the territory. In fact 1720 isn't when the book was written, it was 1684. I'm assuming maybe this copy might have made it's way to America and is being sold by someone who traced this specific book through Georgia? Regardless the book was never banned and stayed in print for a time.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I have no idea where the BBC is getting that this is "Georgian", which I thought they actually meant Georgia (Russia). But looking into it, this book was popular in England, published in England, and most likely written in England. The book was initially claimed to be written by Aristotle, hence the title, but no one knows who the author is. What is for sure is that this book has nothing to do with Georgia, the US State, or even the territory. In fact 1720 isn't when the book was written, it was 1684. I'm assuming maybe this copy might have made it's way to America and is being sold by someone who traced this specific book through Georgia? Regardless the book was never banned and stayed in print for a time.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_era

The time period.

I think in Britain "Georgian" means that first and foremost, not Georgia the US state or Georgia the Eastern European country. So this article didn't bother to specify.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    You can see where it's published right on the photo of the book. It says LONDON at the bottom.

Yeah....apparently I missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    I wonder if eggs count as birds.
    Depends on how long it takes to prepare them, I suppose.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_era

The time period.

I think in Britain "Georgian" means that first and foremost, not Georgia the US state or Georgia the Eastern European country. So this article didn't bother to specify.
    That makes a lot more sense.

The Georgian period is 1714-1830 in England/the UK

10+ Year Old Account
    Other than the customary hearsay pseudoscience nonsense and sexism of the time period, I don't see anything particularly "appalling" that it recommends.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    I would be surprised if anything that talked about sex what so ever was allowed to exist back then. America's past, and to some extent our present, is pretty pent up sexually.
    That's because we sent all the Puritans the America

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    I don't think I've ever experienced this collection of emotions simultaneously before.

Incredulous at stupidity, mildly annoyed at the absurdity of this brand of misogyny and facepalm vicarious shame at seeing the words "his seed should be seen as divine."
    Triggered? You think muslims bring different beliefs?

Deleted
    Georgian is an era much like Edwardian and Victorian

I'm quite surprised the article did not mention the second part of the book (which may be missing for the auction).

"The Second Part, being
    A Private Looking Glass for the Female SEX.
    Treating of the various Maladies of the
    Womb and all other Distempers incident to Women
    of all Ages, with proper Remedies for the cure of each
    The whole being more Correct than any
    thing of this kind hitherto Published."

Considering how misguided the first part of the book was in terms of lovemaking and procreating, I can't help but wonder that if the second part was equally erroneous how we didn't die off as a species, at least in the UK.

Women, who as a gender are at risk of sexual indulgence - or "venery" - should avoid eating "hard, fat things

Okay, is anyone else laughing like a 12 year old in biology class when the teacher says "penis" ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43044066

Eat the right things

Men wanting to "make their seed abound" should focus their diet on a combination of root vegetables and songbirds.

A long list of recommended foods to aid men's sexual function includes eggs, sparrows, blackbirds, gnat snappers, thrushes, partridges, parsnips, young pigeons, ginger and turnips.

Women, who as a gender are at risk of sexual indulgence - or "venery" - should avoid eating "hard, fat things and spices" because such comestibles cause the body to become more heated.

Another solution is for a maiden to simply get married - and when their venery is met by "the enjoyment of their husbands, they become more gay and lively".

I actually found this really amusing
    Eat proteins and vegetables, avoid fats, sex is good for a morale boost.

Nil sub sole novum