Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    It's the last boss from Quake
    The last boss of Quake 1 is intended to literally be the Shub-Niggurath from the works of H.P. Lovecraft (a sci-fi alien take of it in any case). Shul-Nagruth's name is likely based on Shub-Niggurath, just as C'Thun is based on Cthulhu or Yogg-Saron is based on Yog-Sothoth from Lovecraft's works.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Maw of Shul-Nagruth is Spawned at Uldir.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    I found this while searching WOWDB database.

IT has eye tantacles, maw tantcles and another tentacles!

Shul-Nagruth....Shub-Niggurath?

another Old Gods?

http://beta.wowdb.com/npcs/128611-eye-of-shul-nagruth

http://beta.wowdb.com/npcs/128610-maw-of-shul-nagruth

http://beta.wowdb.com/npcs/128609-te...f-shul-nagruth
    ur mum

HUEHUEHUE

I have no idea to be honest. Looks Old God-ish.

Maw of Shul-Nagruth is Spawned at Uldir.
    that tentacle looks a lot like G'huun and with all the blood around it's probably a spawn from G'huun

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool. The more eldritch abominations the merrier. Guess she might be like the Iso'rath or Il'gynoth for G'huun.

Deleted
    It's this guy.

The rune on his forehead is as reference to Yogg-saron and Nyarlathotep, aka N'zoth. Implying sick crossbreed experiment?
    Last edited by mmoc35f68e9f3b; 2018-04-17 at 11:02 PM.

Deleted
    My guess would be Ghuun is an overgrown larva of Shul-Nagruth and that was expiremented on by Keepers. True Old Gods are massive and immobile entities that have long reaching tentacles like the Maws of Shul etc. Maybe Shul-Nagruth is trying to reach Ghuun and absorb it back to the main body or something. Ghuun actually looks like a "detached" Maw of Shul Nagruth that has grown some extra limbs and spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Sounds extremely Old God-ish.

With the existence of Xal'atath and G'huun, and tidbits like the Tablet of Ryun'eh, there could be any number of Old Gods or remnants of Old Gods hanging around Azeroth locked away in Titan prisons or buried deep or so forth. The big four could just be the biggest and most well-known. Though it might also be an especially large servant like Iso'rath, such entities can be extremely large and have all their own eyeballs, maws, and tentacles and so forth.

The name is a pretty direct reference to the Cthulhu Mythos deity Shub-Niggurath. Here's my favorite depiction of her:

I guess we'll seeee...
    I have a line of correlation I wanted to make some speculative conjecture with:

H. P. Lovecraft's Shub-Nuggurath is described as a Outer Goddess in the Cthulhu Mythos pantheon. Shul-Nagruth's various body parts are on Zandalar near the prison of G'huun. Zandalar is extremely close to the Maelstrom, which is geographically the location where Y'Shaarj would have been originally "planted" into ancient Kalimdor before Aman'Thul plucked him out. As far as I know Xal'atath is the -only- female Old God-related entity outside of converted servants/races of the Old Gods and the Aqir descendants. Xal'atath is rumored to either be an appendage of Y'Shaarj or the remnants of a 5th Old God that was consumed by the other Old Gods. I say that the actual truth might take pieces of both rumors...

I think it's highly probable that Xal'atath is an remnant of Shul-Nagruth, and she is the 5th Old God that was consumed by the others before the Titans came to order the world. When Shul-Nagruth fell in battle against her brothers, afterwards they likely wrestled over consuming her remains. I think the Battle for K'tanth was the final battle to determine which Old God would consume the majority of her remains, and Y'Shaarj won this battle over N'Zoth. The reason this worked in N'Zoth's favor in the end was because consuming Shul-Nagruth's remains transformed Y'Shaarj into the most powerful Old God and therefore the most dangerous in the eyes of the Pantheon, which led to his demise by the hands of Aman'Thul. It's likely that G'huun is made from the remains of Shul-Nagruth as well, which is why the remaining parts of Shul-Nagruth on Zandalar share the same color scheme as G'huun.

Since Shub-Niggurath is known as "The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young," it's likely that Shul-Nagruth is the "black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside" that the Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron is referring to. The Puzzle Box also says "...Flee screaming into the black forest" and Xal'atoh says "When you walk among the black forest, you will see..." I'm wondering if the "black forest" is the Shadowlands, Ny'alotha, or maybe even Nazmir. Here is an awesome pic of Shub-Niggurath:

Obviously Xal'atath is not around in the beginning of this expansion to confirm or deny any of this, but I think that might be intentional. Perhaps G'huun and N'Zoth might herald Shul-Nagruth's return. This might be her resurrection into our realm or maybe she might be chilling in the Shadowlands, Ny'alotha, or perhaps her own pocket plane.
    "Pulsars are the bulimic cosmic anomalies..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Old Gods were always in our future for BFA. It's just a question of when.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Old Gods were always in our future for BFA. It's just a question of when.
    Do you think there is any tie between G'huun, Shul-Nagruth, and Xal'atath? Do you think we'll see Shul-Nagruth herself in the future?

7+ Year Old Account
    i hope its xal'ataths pre-knaifu name.

and that experimenting with her corpse was what ultimately led to turning whatever loa the titans used into g'huun.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RedFenix View Post
    Do you think there is any tie between G'huun, Shul-Nagruth, and Xal'atath? Do you think we'll see Shul-Nagruth herself in the future?
    I doubt there are any ties at all. G'hunn just seems to be it's own thing(5th old god or not).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Well, Shub-Niggurath is the name for HP Lovecraft's Black Goat of the Woods - which is well known to be the idea behind Y'Shaarj. Although there is discussion that Y'Shaarj is a mixture of two of HP Lovecraft's Old Ones. So, I don't think they would use this name for another old god considering it's so close to the original which they've already used... it is most likely the name of the underlings. Like C'thun had the Cthraxxi and Yogg-Saron had the Faceless. It could be the name for the ones serving the Old God creature in Zandalar, but probably the names of the ones serving N'Zoth.

Alternatively, could be the name of underlings/creatures serving an Old God lieutenant, like for example, Uul-gyneth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsword View Post
    Then there is this from the puzzle box: "Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside." And Shub-Niggurath is sometimes referred to as an outer god. So perhaps Shul-Nagruth is an old god from another world invading Azeroth.
    The only issue with this, is that Y'Shaarj was the reference black goat with seven eyes. If you see art of Y'Shaarj he has seven eyes, and some drawings seem to have seven heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeraiya View Post
    Well, Shub-Niggurath is the name for HP Lovecraft's Black Goat of the Woods - which is well known to be the idea behind Y'Shaarj. Although there is discussion that Y'Shaarj is a mixture of two of HP Lovecraft's Old Ones. So, I don't think they would use this name for another old god considering it's so close to the original which they've already used... it is most likely the name of the underlings. Like C'thun had the Cthraxxi and Yogg-Saron had the Faceless. It could be the name for the ones serving the Old God creature in Zandalar, but probably the names of the ones serving N'Zoth.

Alternatively, could be the name of underlings/creatures serving an Old God lieutenant, like for example, Uul-gyneth.
    Uul'gyneth, not Uul-gyneth.

and.... well, Y'shaarj has seven eyes and seven heads. but Y'Shaarj's appearance is suggestive of a Serpent rather than a Goat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeraiya View Post

- - - Updated - - -

The only issue with this, is that Y'Shaarj was the reference black goat with seven eyes. If you see art of Y'Shaarj he has seven eyes, and some drawings seem to have seven heads.
    Maybe Y'Shaarj changed/evolved into that look after consuming the remains of Shul-Nagruth's body and the artwork we see is not how he looked originally prior to that event.

and.... well, Y'shaarj has seven eyes and seven heads. but Y'Shaarj's appearance is suggestive of a Serpent rather than a Goat.
    Some people suggest that the image on the card is just one of the seven heads, and it's not his only head. Hard to say. There are other drawings within the game (that are stylized) where it looks more seven-headed. I don't think something with seven eyes would just be a random old gold and not related to the seven themed Old One in Lovecraft.