Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    I'm promised that banning guns ends all violence forever
    Still didn't learn your lesson about strawmen?

I'm trying to explore this. I'm promised that banning guns ends all violence forever and confused why people would ignore a gun ban in Brazil.
    Meh, have fun in your bubble, couldn't care less tbh. Just sad that it happens regularly and nothing is being done about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Clearly someone who has little knowledge of how our Constitution works. Tip: not by popular demand or feelings.
    No, that is how every constitutions, including the US, works.

I'm trying to explore this. I'm promised that banning guns ends all violence forever and confused why people would ignore a gun ban in Brazil.
    This may be surprising news, but Brazil is not the US. I'll allow you to deal with that shock.
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

Quote Originally Posted by yoma View Post
    This may be surprising news, but Brazil is not the US. I'll allow you to deal with that shock.
    Oh ok. Well this might shock you but the US isn't Luxembourg or Sweden or any other country for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    The way I took it is, is that a lot of people tell the EU to have a stiff upper lip and get used to (more or less) their terrorist attacks. In the US we do a lot about terrorism, I agree, but almost nothing about gun control, so at this point, I think the population is just "ok" with mass shootings, because if not then we would do something about it.

And if that's the case, the people that keep saying "we should do something" (about gun crime here) but then go on and say "the EU should get used to terrorism" there is a disconnect.

Technically speaking mass shootings are a form of terrorism... so why are these people treating two similar (though not the same) situation with very different calls... one for apathy (get used to it!) the other with action (we need to do something!).
    Honest answer. It's easier to critique people than yourself.

That's why all the people mockingly saying hopes and prayers will get mad if the mockery is returned when it's time to say Paris Strong or whatever terrorism ignoring phrase gets conjured.
    Last edited by Dextroden; 2018-02-14 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I'm starting to get tired off all this gun violence and I'm probably not the only one.

If the NRA want's to defend the Second Amendment, they'd better do something about all these attacks. It's just a matter of time before enough of us get mad and change the Second Amendment, 2/3rds of the states ratify the change, etc, etc.

You think it'll never happen? Just you wait and see.
    There are some gun control laws which we could certainly benefit from. But basically just better enforcement of the laws we have and stronger penalties for breaking them would help as a beginner.

And no, it takes 3/4 of the states to ratify a amendment to the Constitution. Not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by yoma View Post
    And Australia isn't the US, either. But that would get in the way of polishing that Australian bellend people like to do.

Honest answer. It's to critique people than yourself.

That's why all the people mockingly saying hopes and prayers will get mad if the mockery is returned when it's time to say Paris Strong or whatever terrorism ignoring phrase gets conjured.
    A terrorist attack like the one in Paris isnt happening frequently. "Thoughts and prayers" related to gun violence in the US is becoming a meme cus nobody is doing anything but praying and the shootings keep on happening. Minutes after the attack happened in Paris they went on a rampage scouring the entirety of Europe for any people with a connection to the shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    The way I took it, is that a lot of people tell the EU to have a stiff upper lip and get used to (more or less) their terrorist attacks. In the US we do a lot about terrorism, I agree, but almost nothing about gun control, so at this point, I think the population is just "ok" with mass shootings, because if not then we would do something about it.

And if that's the case, the people that keep saying "we should do something" (about gun crime here) but then go on and say "the EU should get used to terrorism" there is a disconnect.

Technically speaking mass shootings are a form of terrorism... so why are these people treating two similar (though not the same) situations with very different calls... one for apathy (get used to it!) the other with action (we need to do something!).
    That is not true. We could improve on some and even add some more, such as Universal background checks.

Everyone at work just north of this is just like...oh again? Like the reaction to these shootings is just so meh whatever nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by vkpush View Post
    A terrorist attack like the one in Paris isnt happening frequently. "Thoughts and prayers" related to gun violence in the US is becoming a meme cus nobody is doing anything but praying and the shootings keep on happening. Minutes after the attack happened in Paris they went on a rampage scouring the entirety of Europe for any people with a connection to the shooters.
    And this shooter was hunted by the police. Fucking weird, Right?

And low and behold. Look who doesn't like their dead being mocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    It's unacceptable that we keep hearing about these mass gun shootings and yet nothing meaningful is done.
    It's unacceptable that we keep hearing about these bombings, knife attacks, and truck attacks and yet nothing meaningful is done.

What do you want to see done to prevent all these terrible acts of violence?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yes 16yo women are beautiful, and yes it is natural to be attracted towards them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Why is beating people with bike locks illegal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    IMO all the humanities are harder than "STEM" fields.

I normally think that's kind useless after the fact... blame is useless when 14 people already died. (either by bomb, or gun, or bus, or whatever). Blame is not going to fix anything in and of itself. Finding out what went wrong, and fixing that (Did people (or radicalization) fall through the cracks? Is there a mental health issue we need to address?, etc, etc) is what comes close to stopping such things.

The Unstoppable Force Post Explosive's Avatar
    As long as there are needs for such freedoms we have in it. Some things never are outdated. Esp. when it comes to freedoms.
    They used to say that about knightly values, vows and honor too.
    They are rage, brutal, without mercy. But you. You will be worse. Rip and tear, until it is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    No, that is how every constitutions, including the US, works.
    Nope. You lack a understanding of our Constitutional process to amend it. And it is not done by popular vote. Think of it somewhat like how we elect a President. Only even more requirements. After a 2/3 Congressional call for a amendment, 3/4 of the States have to ratify it. The representatives of each State must vote for it. Of those who do, for a amendment to pass, 3/4 of the states must approve it.

With-in bounds of our Constitutional process.
    If there can be a cultural change without the need for federal gun control legislation, that would clearly be preferable, but do you think such a change is possible or is “business as usual” the more likely long term approach?
    I'm truly sorry man's dominion, Has broken nature's social union,
    An' justifies that ill opinion, Which makes thee startle
    At me, thy poor, earth-born companion, An' fellow-mortal!
    To a Mouse, Robert Burns, 1795

That is not true. We could improve on some and even add some more, such as Universal background checks.
    I agree, but we are not doing that. I mean, even most conservative/republicans agree to *some* small measures in gun control now, but still nothing is being done... that is what I meant.

You realize the difference is that countries/cities are actually trying to stop terrorism attacks right? 'Paris Strong' isn't about 'sigh, oh well there was another one' but about remaining defiant in the face of attacks.

Terrorist attacks are not met with weary resignation like yet another mass shooting in the US is.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    It's unacceptable that we keep hearing about these bombings, knife attacks, and truck attacks and yet nothing meaningful is done.

What do you want to see done to prevent all these terrible acts of violence?
    Contrary to popular belief, authorities are combating terrorism.