Lightbulb Poor GPU toasted - any suggestions?

So my graphics card decided it wanted to die at the worst time possible since card prices are outrageous!! My tried and true Gtx 560ti has been good to me for the past 5 or 6 years. Now I need a replacement but I refuse to spend $400+ on a card. Even auction prices are high for the newest cards. Anyways any suggestions?

I plan on eventually upgrading the rest of my PC as well which is an i5 2500k with a 650w PSU but I had hoped to do that later on as it is still kickin with no issues. So any suggestions that will work with my current setup would be great but still be amazing once I build a new rig would be great. If I need more power that won’t be a problem.

Where are you looking cause im on NewEgg and i see some 1050 for 200 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by PhantasmagoriaX View Post
    Where are you looking cause im on NewEgg and i see some 1050 for 200 bucks
    I haven’t checked Newegg today but I will. Is the 1050 a decent card? I know everyone has been talking about the 1060 and 1070 if you could afford it but both of those are outrageous. I couldn’t remember the “normal” pricing of a 1050 before all the price increases

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmettostar View Post
    So my graphics card decided it wanted to die at the worst time possible since card prices are outrageous!! My tried and true Gtx 560ti has been good to me for the past 5 or 6 years. Now I need a replacement but I refuse to spend $400+ on a card. Even auction prices are high for the newest cards. Anyways any suggestions?

I plan on eventually upgrading the rest of my PC as well which is an i5 2500k with a 650w PSU but I had hoped to do that later on as it is still kickin with no issues. So any suggestions that will work with my current setup would be great but still be amazing once I build a new rig would be great. If I need more power that won’t be a problem.
    Simple answer:
    Right now you'll not find anything useful for a good price.

My recommendation for now would be to find a second hand AMD HD7950 / HD7970 or AMD R9 280 /280X or a GTX 770/780 on the cheap.
    In general I would recommend the AMD cards of that generation because they tend to age better than nVidia cards, I do not mean performance wise (even though that's true) with this but electrically better as AMD always over-engineers they tend to physically last longer.

That's your cheapest option and upgrade everything later down the line properly.

It's still a clear upgrade over what you had and it should be relatively cheap, better than trying to bash your head against the wall for a current new board right now.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Simple answer:
    Right now you'll not find anything useful for a good price.

My recommendation for now would be to find a second hand AMD HD7950 / HD7970 or AMD R9 280 /280X or a GTX 770/780 on the cheap.
    In general I would recommend the AMD cards of that generation because they tend to age better than nVidia cards, I do not mean performance wise (even though that's true) with this but electrically better as AMD always over-engineers they tend to physically last longer.

That's your cheapest option and upgrade everything later down the line properly.

It's still a clear upgrade over what you had and it should be relatively cheap, better than trying to bash your head against the wall for a current new board right now.
    Thank you! I’ve been scouring the auctions today but wasn’t sure which of an older model would be worth it but I’ve looked at the 770/780. I’ll check out the AMD models too.

I'd go for a GTX 1050. Plenty for WoW, better than your old one. Seems to have escaped the crypto-scalpers at this point.

Best case you can sell it when prices come down again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thank you! I’ve been scouring the auctions today but wasn’t sure which of an older model would be worth it but I’ve looked at the 770/780. I’ll check out the AMD models too.
    You'll probably find either of em but the AMD ones for cheaper because of the sheer amount they sold with the first crypto-mining bubble.

Either will work fine in reality but pick whichever is cheaper really, either of these is a considerable upgrade over a 560Ti.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

As others said with the auctions of older models.

RX 560 can handle WoW just fine, Its 110e around here for sure, and its as good as 1050.

If you only want it for a year until your big upgrade, RX 560 is a decent bet

Edit: Quick check of US prices, 160$ for the cheapest, what are you doing USA?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    I'd go for a GTX 1050. Plenty for WoW, better than your old one. Seems to have escaped the crypto-scalpers at this point.

Best case you can sell it when prices come down again.
    The 1050 isnt being snapped up because the 2GB of Vram makes it useless for mining.

I got a 1050ti with 4GB of RAM a couple of weeks back for $189 (+tax) from Amazon but you need to be patient for that which probably isn't an option because your card bombed out. I added a bunch of alerts on NowInStock for all of the low end cards that were being sold by Amazon. From the looks of it there are a couple of the smaller ones available on NewEgg. Amazon are cheaper, they just sell out very quickly and also launch as pre-orders. I got a couple of alerts for 1060's at $270 but by then I had already picked up the 1050ti so I didn't go for them.

Just be warned, the better cards will sell out really quickly. I just got a notification for a 3GB 1060 for $239 and it was gone in under a minute.
    Last edited by Gray_Matter; 2018-02-15 at 04:06 AM.

GTX 1060 6gb's are right around MSRP now.

Buy now !

If Bitcoin double again, these cards will triple !

Experts predict that bitcoin can reach 1 million dollars.

10+ Year Old Account
    try this link, and look around the site as well:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Cm3...04g-p4-6253-kr

Quote Originally Posted by Illuman View Post
    GTX 1060 6gb's are right around MSRP now.
    I assume you should go with the 6gb vs the 3gb? I’ve decided between this and getting a 1050ti. Now my other question is what brand? Is there a preference on a brand that last longer? My 560ti was MSI

If you are in the states, EVGA - Asus - MSI or Gigabyte, EVGA seems to have the best warranties, brands don't matter that much, chips are all the same, but get one with a decent cooler, not the blower style reference cards.