Gaming desktops VS Gaming laptops.

Looking to have both pros and cons pointed out on both.
    Please share opinions/facts and in general discuss the topic amongst each other so I can get a better understanding on the comparison between the two.

The biggest con against gaming laptops is how they can heat up quite fast and thus reduce it's life. However, a lot of gaming laptops have thicker builds that allow for more ventilation and helps alleviate this quite a bit. I think you can buy cooling pads too to help reduce the heat. Just don't make the same mistake I did if you want to buy a gaming laptop. I bought a thin gaming laptop because I liked the sleek design and also for the lighter weight as I would carry it around a lot in school. That may sound nice but it will become scorching hot within just an hour or two of gaming and the ventilation on them generally is pretty bad.

Biggest pro: well, it's portable.

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    The biggest con against gaming laptops is how they can heat up quite fast and thus reduce it's life. However, a lot of gaming laptops have thicker builds that allow for more ventilation and helps alleviate this quite a bit. I think you can buy cooling pads too to help reduce the heat. Just don't make the same mistake I did if you want to buy a gaming laptop. I bought a thin gaming laptop because I liked the sleek design and also for the lighter weight as I would carry it around a lot in school. That may sound nice but it will become scorching hot within just an hour or two of gaming and the ventilation on them generally is pretty bad.

Biggest pro: well, it's portable.
    Gooootcha.
    I was looking at this one.
    Asus - ROG Strix 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 - 1TB+8GB Hybrid Hard Drive - ROG Metallic Black

Was definitely gonna get one of those cooling pads like the dual fan pads or whatever that it sits on.

0.9" thin though lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you absolutely need the portability? If yes, then go for a laptop.

That's literally the only reason to get a gaming laptop.

Any other way you measure it they're significantly worse than a desktop. More expensive, worse performance (at the same price point as a desktop), less ergonomic, cramped internals means they run hotter and can't have big slow fans meaning they need to have smaller high RPM fans to vent heat meaning the noise output is godawful.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Do you absolutely need the portability? If yes, then go for a laptop.

That's literally the only reason to get a gaming laptop.

Any other way you measure it they're significantly worse than a desktop. More expensive, worse performance (at the same price point as a desktop), less ergonomic, cramped internals means they run hotter and can't have big slow fans meaning they need to have smaller high RPM fans to vent heat meaning the noise output is godawful.

This is definitely helpful then.
    I definitely appreciate the response.