HomePod's silicone bottom is causing rings on some finished wood surfaces

The phenomenon was first spotted by electronics evaluation site Wirecutter on Wednesday, and other sources from social media. it is manifesting from contact with "oiled" wood surfaces and the silicone ring on the bottom of a HomePod.

It is not appearing on all wood surfaces. AppleInsider's HomePod used for testing has been in a fixed location on a finished wood surface since Saturday, and no ring has developed.

AppleInsider spoke with a few professional woodworkers about the matter, and the consensus between them suggests a reaction between the silicone in the bottom ring of the HomePod, and a different form of silicone common in furniture polishes like Pledge. They called the reaction similar to the "fisheye" that can develop in some furniture as a result of chemical differences between the wood's finish and the polishes.

But, other than elevating the HomePod very slightly using a thin non-skid surface, they offered no easy and permanent solution for those suffering from the problem, other than stripping down the furniture, and replacing the finish with one lacking silicone.

Apple appears to be aware of the situation, an offers little in the way of advice. In an email to Wirecutter, Apple said that "the marks can improve over several days after the speaker is removed from the wood surface," and "try cleaning the surface with the manufacturer's suggested oiling method."

It appears that glass, granite, MDF plywood, polyurethane-sealed wood, and laminate furniture such as that found in Ikea are not affected by the problem —which makes sense if the problem is a reaction between different silicone mixes.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/...-wood-surfaces
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

15+ Year Old Account
    Okay..... and?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

You should always use a coaster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    What’s there to discuss, exactly?
    Hillary's emails put a ring on my finished wood surface?

Dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Great find, the game.

We'll publish it as the leading news story in prime-time news. These manufacturers will not get away with using lackluster materials for their products.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just sounds like people don't think much. Should've had something under, a coaster or cloth. The worry would be if the rings would appear after that.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    What an illuminating topic... We should tackle this immediately

10+ Year Old Account
    First world problems. lol
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    First world problems. lol
    Nonsense! It's a serious issue that affects everybody worldwide! #RingStainsMatter

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    What an illuminating topic... We should tackle this immediately
    Because the threads you start are so much better, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    What’s there to discuss, exactly?
    What do you think if I bought You and Your Husband one of these as a gift?

You know like at 3am when you want to cuddle
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsav1 View Post
    Because the threads you start are so much better, right?
    Yes they are