Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    No. Owning a house is like renting a property without any of the benefits. You have to do all of the repairs and maintenance yourself, and at the end of the day you still don't actually own your house.
    Except it isn't because you're investing, instead of throwing your money away.

Deleted
    Yes, if I've lived with them long enough and decided I want to spend the rest of my life with them, then sharing owning a house would be an important goal.

People seem to be ignoring property taxes, maintenance costs and homeowners insurance (which don't go away when you pay off the house) when saying buying a house is a safe investment. You don't have any of those things when you rent, which creates more money for you to invest elsewhere. Homes simply aren't the great investments they were decades ago. You have a lot of factors to consider when buying a house. There's a lot of math and research to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jcf190 View Post
    People seem to be ignoring property taxes, maintenance costs and homeowners insurance (which don't go away when you pay off the house) when saying buying a house is a safe investment. You don't have any of those things when you rent, which creates more money for you to invest elsewhere. Homes simply aren't the great investments they were decades ago. You have a lot of factors to consider when buying a house. There's a lot of math and research to do.
    your property tax, maintenance costs, and HOI will likely be the same or much lower than rent, depending on location. And when / if you need to move, you get to sell a house rather than move with whatever funds you have on hand because you've made an investment, not paid into someone else's.

A house is an investment because either way you are paying to live somewhere. You pay less or the same to get more in the future... which is kinda what "investment" means.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the plan. I helped put him through school, five years of it (I paid for our rent, car, food, utilities, everything while he focused on school exclusively) and now I'm helping him pay off the student loans in the same way. Once that is done - we're buying a house. I can't wait!

Deleted
    I already own a house, so no need.

Absolutely not. What if the relationship then has issues or ends? I'm ok allowing my partner to live inside my house though.

Have purchased more than one with my “partner”.

Peace

10+ Year Old Account
    House? Sure, if we're ever in a position where we want one - right now, we jointly own an apartment (which we still owe, um, rather a lot on in absolute although not relative terms), and we're currently casually looking at small islands (though I, personally, don't want to pull the trigger until after the crash I think is coming in the near future, which we're currently reasonably (although not ideally) well-positioned to ride out).

In more general terms - owning is almost always (but not absolutely always) better financially than renting; and while buying a home or other property jointly is a serious commitment, if you're in a serious relationship with someone you don't trust to that level... then you need to re-evaluate your life and your relationship(s). Right now, in the US, from what I've seen (I am not up-to-date on US property trends) I might be a little more inclined to rent (lease) than I would normally be - the market looks overheated and the economy shaky, and that is a very bad combination, particularly for anyone who isn't financially stable (which almost no one in the US is) and doesn't really grok the housing market (which most home buyers don't...); I always find it remarkable how big a slice of the US economy depends on the chunk of the populace with money participating in a complex financial game (home ownership), with which they have little to no expertise...
    Last edited by ringpriest; 2018-02-19 at 04:49 AM.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    No. Owning a house is like renting a property without any of the benefits. You have to do all of the repairs and maintenance yourself, and at the end of the day you still don't actually own your house.
    I was going to explain why this is a horridly inaccurate and wrong statement to make, but others beat me to it.

I'm renting a 3 bedroom just north of Seattle and it's $2100/month.

I'll be buying a house this year. So I'll have it bought and in my name before I get married. That way even if the marriage were to go belly up, the house would still be mine.

Deleted
    We already bought a house