Not matter how bad I suck at Mage tower...

...at least I know I'm better than Velen or Kor'vas.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Yep lol. Keep at it you’ll get there. I found Brew pretty difficult due to no real self heals. I went full DPS, Niuzao pet on pull and again on Kruul when it comes back up (tanks a lot of dmg for you and does good DPS). I used healing orbs pretty much as they came up, or near enough.

Keep your head on in phase 2. Get the interrupt on Twisted Reflections, stun (leg sweep or orb) as many annihilates as you can, get Niuzao out again as soon as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewmaster Kolee View Post
    ...at least I know I'm better than Velen or Kor'vas.
    Amen to that! :P What ilvl you trying to do it at?
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Was actually doing it on my bear alt, and wasn't so bad because he's 940ish. Not claiming any bragging rights; mad kudos to those who did it back when. This was my first toon to do it on, so I still had to learn the mechanics and deal with some bad RNG. Had one wipe at 3%, and was annoyed Velen and Kor'vas couldn't finish him off for me. But I got it after 50 or so attempts.

Werebear was the main appearance I cared about getting before Legion was over, but now that I've got a handle on the fight, maybe I will do my other tanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazlord View Post
    Yep lol. Keep at it you’ll get there. I found Brew pretty difficult due to no real self heals. I went full DPS, Niuzao pet on pull and again on Kruul when it comes back up (tanks a lot of dmg for you and does good DPS). I used healing orbs pretty much as they came up, or near enough.

Keep your head on in phase 2. Get the interrupt on Twisted Reflections, stun (leg sweep or orb) as many annihilates as you can, get Niuzao out again as soon as you can.
    This is true, healing was a pain as Brewmaster. And I should know...

On Thursday evening I sat down and began work on my Brewmaster challenge. It was the ninth challenge I had done and the second time I had done Kruul (after my Blood Death Knight).

I also, for some mad reason, had decided to attempt to do the Kruul challenge on a spec I had never played and I began on Thursday. I decided I needed to learn how to play Brewmaster, and thought learning to do so while attempting the challenge made a crazy kind of sense. Like learning to drive whilst doing a formula one race.

On Saturday evening, on my one hundredth attempt, I beat the challenge.

I learned a few things.

One, I massively prefer Blood Death Knight tanking to Brewmaster tanking.
    Two, I am NEVER, EVER doing Kruul again.
    And three...I'm insane for doing a challenge that took one hundred goes on a spec I will almost certainly never play again?

But I might play it again, so not doing it would have bugged me. And it's a cool look.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazlord View Post
    This is good advice for any spec doing Kruul. I wiped more than once by letting other mechanics distract me from interrupting Twisted Reflection. That's essentially the fight - mechanic overload, so you get distracted by one threat and let another kill you. My best advice to anyone just learning it is just relax and keep doing it until you can do most of the mechanics without thinking about them. That way you can focus on the 1 or 2 most important.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    This is true, healing was a pain as Brewmaster. And I should know...

On Thursday evening I sat down and began work on my Brewmaster challenge. It was the ninth challenge I had done and the second time I had done Kruul (after my Blood Death Knight).

I also, for some mad reason, had decided to attempt to do the Kruul challenge on a spec I had never played and I began on Thursday. I decided I needed to learn how to play Brewmaster, and thought learning to do so while attempting the challenge made a crazy kind of sense. Like learning to drive whilst doing a formula one race.

On Saturday evening, on my one hundredth attempt, I beat the challenge.

I learned a few things.

One, I massively prefer Blood Death Knight tanking to Brewmaster tanking.
    Two, I am NEVER, EVER doing Kruul again.
    And three...I'm insane for doing a challenge that took one hundred goes on a spec I will almost certainly never play again?

But I might play it again, so not doing it would have bugged me. And it's a cool look.
    lol I wouldn't judge any spec by how it felt to play it on Kruul, especially when you didn't have experience with it going in.

I play all the tanks; they all have pros and cons. Brewmaster is my favorite atm; good mobility, amazing snap aoe-agro, easy peasy 100% uptime on active mitigation, and impossible to one shot so you always have a chance to recover a situation. Plus anything you're tanking is snared by Keg Smash (50% slow) so you never have to let the mobs hit you if you don't want. And we get to drink a lot of beer. It's, you know, role play.

The Tanking/healing challenges mirrors you entering in a LFD with the worst healer/dps/tank of all times, which means you need to play all 3 roles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Brewmaster is the last tank I did Kruul on, just this weekend. It felt weird in that it felt like I was keeping everything under control . . .until I suddenly didn't. And I honestly felt my dps as Brewmaster sucked, on the other specs it was much more comfortable. Btw Niuzao seems to die at the pull for some reason when I use him.
    I only did it somewhat early on my main though (My Paladin did it as soon as I got 4t20 and Tyelca, about a month after ToS release).

Imo I had the most fun doing it on Prot Warrior, it felt far more frantic on that spec than on anything else because everything could collapse so fast.
    Did you use Niuzao statue?
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

10+ Year Old Account

lol I wouldn't judge any spec by how it felt to play it on Kruul, especially when you didn't have experience with it going in.

I play all the tanks; they all have pros and cons. Brewmaster is my favorite atm; good mobility, amazing snap aoe-agro, easy peasy 100% uptime on active mitigation, and impossible to one shot so you always have a chance to recover a situation. Plus anything you're tanking is snared by Keg Smash (50% slow) so you never have to let the mobs hit you if you don't want. And we get to drink a lot of beer. It's, you know, role play.
    A fair enough observation. But it wasn't just Kruul. The stagger mechanic I will admit is a very interesting way to tank, but it is just not one I enjoy. The mobility is fun, but I can't force enemy movement the way I can with my DK.

The self healing, theme and Death grip combine to make blood dk my preferred tanking spec.

But I am glad I did the BrM challenge. Frustrating at the time, but I have the cool staff now if I ever change my mind. And I did learn BrM in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Yeah, both the statue and the summon. So I just switched to using special delivery for my kill.

And Kor'vas is an idiot. Velen's orbs are amazing though. And I've been told that if you can get Kruul or the Inquisitor in his melee range, he actually does decent melee.
    When i tried the challenge i found out that you can't have both the Pet and the statue on at the same time.

Just play normally while you have the pet and when he dies(45s) summon the statue next to Velen.
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

Was actually doing it on my bear alt, and wasn't so bad because he's 940ish. Not claiming any bragging rights; mad kudos to those who did it back when. This was my first toon to do it on, so I still had to learn the mechanics and deal with some bad RNG. Had one wipe at 3%, and was annoyed Velen and Kor'vas couldn't finish him off for me. But I got it after 50 or so attempts.

Werebear was the main appearance I cared about getting before Legion was over, but now that I've got a handle on the fight, maybe I will do my other tanks.
    I did mine at 907 on brewmaster, legit took around 100 attempts. I only say around because I actually lost count. It was good fun x)

yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!

Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    I did mine at 907 on brewmaster, legit took around 100 attempts. I only say around because I actually lost count. It was good fun x)
    Doing one of the most difficult challenges on the most difficult spec at only 907? Mad kudos. <salutes with respect>.

Doing one of the most difficult challenges on the most difficult spec at only 907? Mad kudos. <salutes with respect>.
    Yeah, It was a long slog, and cost me many many mats (hero drums, pots, flasks, food) But it was totally worth it. Ended up I think 3rd monk tank on my server to get it. I might of been second but I'd be lying if I said I was certain of that. I know the first was a guy with 914 gear. Regardless, I was happy and thats all that mattered :P.

yeah normally they cost some hero drums, pots, flasks, food yet it's worth it. So, I just prefer using it while doing the same thing.

Deleted
    Wow, that's incredible. Monk was my 2nd last tank to do the challenge, I had an item level of about 920 and Summon Niuzao did the trick for me. I like the monk tank, though I did not run many challenging things with that character, and I am probably not that good with Brewmaster. Easiest run was Protection Paladin for me, because I got good legendaries and some experience from previous DK and DH kills. And I tank with the Paladin and DK since Wrath (and these are also my favorite tank characters). Most annoying was Bear tank encounter without Luffa / Ekowraith, so I went the overgearing route. But I am only a casual tank, anyway. ^_^;

Deleted
    You must be real "good" at WoW if you haven't done the Mage Tower yet.. *Pfftt casual*

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried it once on my Prot pally at about 910. Made it to the second phase and then got rick rolled. Sure now at 940ish I could do it. but... not a real fan of the mog so screw it.

I bow to anyone with the patience to slog through the fight and figure them out... I'm not that man.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

It took me like 100 attempts on my bear. I'm still traumatized from it, so I'm not sure I want to put myself through it several hundred more for my other tanks. I need to gear up my DK a bit first before I attempt the blood but I think the next time tower is up I'll try it on my DH and see how that goes. I'll put off the pally for last >_>

The tank challenge took me about 60 wipes on my warrior, and literally 1 on my Death Knight and 2 on my Demon Hunter.

Really it's a case of knowing what kills you, and for me it was the infernals. I was far too focused on keeping my health up, but if you have good gear the outgoing damage isn't a big issue. The one-shot mechanics, from the infernals or Kruul's casts, are however, and you need to keep a close eye on them, with the best way to kill the encounter being to zerg down the Inquisitor as fast as possible so you get as few infernals up as possible.