Poll: Favourite generation of video-games

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely the early 00s. The PS2 and Gamecube were giants. I never had the Xbox but I've always wanted one even to this day. They had a plethora of games to select from and dozens of different genres unlike today. Back then there was no corporate greed like there is today with EA or games done halfassed like Ubisoft does. There was no ridiculous home screen with advertisements all over the place, no installing the game either or constantly installing updates everytime you buy a new game as if it was never finished, and best of all no DLC/loot box bullshit. You just popped in the game and played the damn thing and you never thought about the game having bugs or anything. They were all complete games and that's because back then they didn't have the power that DLC gives them today where they can shit out a half done game and finish the rest later while also making extra money off of it. It's like a nice fluffy pillow they can fall back on.

While the early 00s were my favorite time of gaming I can't leave out the sweet and innocent 90s. The N64 was my childhood. Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart, Banjo Kazooie, Conkers Bad Fur Day and most importantly Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. The NES and SNES were other systems I played but not as often as those were more difficult to access since my brother was very protective of his NES and my one friend back then was the only one around me with a SNES. Playing Ninja Turtles Arcade on the NES and Donkey Kong Country, Contra 3 Alien Wars, and Top Gear on the SNES were the most memorable games of those systems. Gameboy and Gameboy Color were also big time systems of my childhood. Playing games like Pokemon Yellow and...more Pokemon Yellow. I'd play other games like Mario, Zelda, and some third party games like this one Mission Impossible game I remember playing but it was mostly Pokemon Yellow.

Man I miss those days so much. When games were this exclusive "club" for only those who were nerdy enough to be interested in it. It's gotten WAY too big and mainstream these days and it's suffering because of it. Too many people stinking up the pool that don't belong in it.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2018-02-19 at 03:41 PM.

Probably the 360/PS3/Wii (10's on the poll), although to a certain extent the Xbox/PS2/GC one as well (05's). I loved my original Xbox, 360, and gaming PC during that time. A lot of good games to be had and it was before all of this lootbox/microtransaction cancer had hit the industry. Also still had LAN parties that I went to and enjoyed the hell out of. Online gaming eventually made LAN parties a thing of the past, but man were they fun when they were still a viable (and sometimes, only) option for multiplayer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Probably the 360/PS3/Wii (10's on the poll), although to a certain extent the Xbox/PS2/GC one as well (05's). I loved my original Xbox, 360, and gaming PC during that time. A lot of good games to be had and it was before all of this lootbox/microtransaction cancer had hit the industry. Also still had LAN parties that I went to and enjoyed the hell out of. Online gaming eventually made LAN parties a thing of the past, but man were they fun when they were still a viable (and sometimes, only) option for multiplayer.
    The PS3/360/Wii era hardware issues kept me from ranking it higher, otherwise the games were great.

PS3 was relatively expensive a launch, got so hot you could heat an apartment with it, the Sixaxis controller felt like a step back from the DS2 (thankfully they later introduced the DS3), nobody knew how to make games for it at launch.

360 had the red ring issue, trying to push peripherals like the kinect, paid multiplayer (sadly the norm now, but that was before the incentives).

Wii - People launching Wiimotes through their TVs (which werent really expensive but not cheap back then), devs trying forcibly to weave Wiimote gimmicks into gameplay ie if you used the wheel for Mario Kart we knew we were about to lap your ass..

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Current gen. Assetto Corsa and Elite: Dangerous in VR can't be touched by... PS2 or PS3, lol. Not even close. Literally whole other dimension.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Deleted
    Current one - I can enjoy all the golden oldies from way back, and get new shiny Nippon Glory all day .

6th gen, pure kino.

Probably NES. Like an earlier poster, I would also rent games on weekends. It was the only system I owned until I was about 18 years old, and purchased a PS1.

The late 90s PS1 and N64 era was a great time too.

For PC, 2001 was when I was introduced to online gaming via my roommate's PC and Everquest. I was amazed at the size of the world and how many people were playing. I'd say EQ Velious-PoP and Vanilla WoW was my golden era for the PC. I still play WoW, but don't have nearly as much fun as I did with EQ in 2001-2003 & Vanilla WoW.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Probably the PS2/Gamecube era. Don't get me wrong there are lots of great memories I have of my Spectrums, Master System and Amigas but gaming hit the mainstream (among adults) during the PS1 era (1994-2000) and the extra cash plus greater power of the next console generation pushed 3D games into the form they are today, leading to what I feel to be the most immersive worlds. Everything after that seems to be refinements but 6th gen is when I feel 3D really found its groove.

It might help that the 6th gen of consoles coincides with my late teens/early twenties when I was starting to get a bit of spare cash to splash on gaming but also plenty of spare time to indulge.

While I have favorites from throughout the ages, the early 3D stuff from the late 90s to 2000s has a special soft spot in my heart. Games like Thief, Unreal, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Half-life. There was just something magical about it, I still enjoy exploring games from that age taking in the 3D worlds and their small budding details. It was the small and beautiful beginning to great advancements to come.

10+ Year Old Account
    1988 to 2008

All the rest is garbage.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    I've enjoyed every era of PC gaming up until the recent era and its addition of everything needing to have multi player or requiring after purchase purchases.

Edit:
    Heh, title != poll.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2018-02-24 at 05:09 AM.

nice poll...

PC.

golden eye
    FF6
    crono trigger
    link to the past
    orcana of time

90s by far!

I was obsessed with video games back in the 90s and i was a soldier in the notorious bit wars between Sega and Nintendo.

Back then i would run home from school just so i could play but now i cant even be bothered to turn my PS4 on now but iam nearly 40!

10+ Year Old Account
    4th Gen, god among generations, untouchable GLORY.

What did you forget that these landmark systems existed?

Master System
    Mega Drive
    Saturn
    N64
    Dreamcast
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I cant be unbiased because I cant be a kid for each different generation. Games were funner as a kid so clearly my favourite period is the 90s. But games today could be just as fun if I could be 12 again, never know

Late 90's to late 2000's for the games themselves, as a lot of genres really started hitting their stride during that time. Right now for the powerrice ratio as far as hardware is concerned. I grew up on consoles (atari, nintendo), but don't see myself ever going back to that platform.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I have to pick 1, it would be the time of the SNES. There were so many amazing games in its lifetime.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

No self respecting gamer can pick a single Era if they actually lived in them. There was garbage and master pieces back then, there is garbage and master pieces now. Infact i just picked 90s, because nostaligia of N64 first MGS, Original deus ex. But i think about it for a second, back in the day Deus Ex was an original novel and unique thing for me, yet so many game now reach similar quality. Neir Automata is as enjoyable to me as deus ex was back then. For every single master pieces i can think of back in the era i voted for, i can count the same amount in every other era without really trying.

If you think any of these Era is lacking good games, you just arent playing the good ones. Stop your subscription to life sucking mmo and buying cod every year and go for the good games.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2018-03-10 at 06:20 PM.