Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Anti-gay 'vote Putin' video goes viral in Russia

http://www.france24.com/en/20180219-...s-viral-russia

MOSCOW (AFP) -
    A homophobic video urging Russians to re-elect President Vladimir Putin has gone viral less than a month before the country's election.

The video, which appeared on social media on Friday, tells voters that if Putin's rivals win they will take Russia into a "nightmare" future in which they are forced to co-habitate with gay men.

The video stars well-known screen actors but it was unclear who published it.

It has had more than three million views on the Facebook page of pro-Kremlin political analyst Alexander Kazakov.

In it, a middle-aged man dreams of a future without Putin, who is expected to win a fourth term in the March 18 vote.

In one of them, the character sees a gay man sitting in his kitchen filing his nails and eating a banana suggestively.

One of Putin's election rivals, liberal candidate Ksenia Sobchak, has called for Russia to allow gay marriage -- an unlikely prospect in a socially conservative country.

Some observers have suggested that Sobchak's candidacy was part of a strategy to create a semblance of diversity in an election that Putin is all but certain to win.

She has denied being a "Kremlin project."

Sobchak spoke out against the video on Monday, condemning it as "vile".

"Presenting LGBT people as a threat in a homophobic country is no joke," she wrote on Instagram.

Homophobic attitudes are widespread in Russian society and no mainstream public figures have come out as gay.

Russian legislation makes it illegal to present homosexual relationships in a positive way to minors

Video isn't anti-gay. If there is anything "anti" in this video it is anti-ignore-election.
    Also, there is nothing that tells in that video to vote for Putin. It suggests to go and vote.

Also, among 3 episodes of "alternative" reality featured in this video western media decided to choose one that involves gay, lel.

In case anyone had forgotten how Putin manipulates his own people.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeponrage View Post
    Video isn't anti-gay. If there is anything "anti" in this video it is anti-ignore-election.
    Also, there is nothing that tells in that video to vote for Putin. It suggests to go and vote.
    No, I'm going to need you to put more effort into your shilling than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    In case anyone had forgotten how Putin manipulates his own people.

No, I'm going to need you to put more effort into your shilling than that.
    watch the video. Its that simple.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I really wish we had an automated script that showed the origin country/state of the IP that posts... of course proxies would cause that to be misleading, but at least if a Russian agent is posting, they would have to try a bit harder.
    lel, ok, u are more and more nazi alike - they also tagged nationality they hated with special marks. You westerners are bound to be fascist, it seems.

Eh, I went and watched the video. Like the previous poster said, the main message in the video is promoting voting and trying to fight voter apathy. The idea is that if you don't vote, you'll get stuff forced on you that you don't want.

There's no specific anti-gay bias in the video above and beyond the common anti-gay sentiment in Russia. Even that might be too strong - it basically plays on the homophobia endemic to many males, even in the Western culture.

EDIT: Not to mention, the article is blatantly wrong in stating that the video urges people to "vote Putin". There are no names used anywhere in the video. It merely tells people to go and vote, and not sit on their behinds hoping for a better future.
    Last edited by Ashnazg; 2018-02-20 at 02:50 PM.

Are gays more protected then blacks for media focus?

Because that video also features black people coming with army guy to conscript main character of that clip.

So, it's a video playing on the homophobia of the average Russian? Color me surprised. It's a shame that Russia has regressed in recent years, and is fighting so hard against freedom and equality in their country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Are gays more protected then blacks for media focus?

Because that video also features black people coming with army guy to conscript main character of that clip.
    I guess the real question would be which bigotry is more prevalent in Russia, homophobia or racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    You are using that word wrong, just like the left does.
    You are making common grounds with your oligarchy in their imperialistic games through artificial inspired hatred, and, like your pal Skroe, promote terror (in various ways) if it suits your agenda in a long run. A paragon fascist. Labeling and tagging nationals that you dislike is just another small detail that underlines your fascist nature.

Knowing who is trying to influence you, and more importantly why, is the best way to fight against misinformation and propaganda.
    wrong. The best way to fight against misinformation is to critically analyze things.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I guess the real question would be which bigotry is more prevalent in Russia, homophobia or racism.
    It plays through plenty of tropes - conscription avoidance, immigrants (in form of black soldier), inflation, communist symbols (his son has typical "pioneer tie" on); and gays too.

It plays through plenty of tropes - conscription avoidance, immigrants (in form of black soldier), inflation, communist symbols (his son has typical "pioneer tie" on); and gays too.
    It's a shame that there is so much bigotry among the Russian populace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which doesn't really detract from the original point, that Putin is clearly an enemy of human welfare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It's a shame that there is so much bigotry among the Russian populace.
    I'm more interested why your media mentions gays and doesn't notice blacks.

Do you have some possible explanation?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more interested why your media mentions gays and doesn't notice blacks.

Do you have some possible explanation?
    Largely because persistent efforts by the Russian government and Russian people in organising efforts at persecution of the LGBTQ community have been trending in media for a while, not so much Russia's racism.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Which doesn't really detract from the original point, that Putin is clearly an enemy of human welfare.
    Where exactly? :/

Clip is clearly shifting Overton window toward gay acceptance - first they are shown ironically (in this clip they are given mandatory shelter when their partner leaves them - and if they don't find new one in two weeks then this family man will be assigned as one! ); then they are shown seriously, and then everyone is fine with them.

It might happen eventually (they do have some typical SJW disciplines in some Moscow universities already); though it might as well happen that you'll drop your gay agenda when your situation will deteriorate.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Shalcker is broken.

Where exactly? :/

Clip is clearly shifting Overton window toward gay acceptance - first they are shown ironically (in this clip they are given mandatory shelter when their partner leaves them - and if they don't find new one in two weeks then this family man will be assigned as one! ); then they are shown seriously, and then everyone is fine with them.

It might happen eventually (they do have some typical SJW disciplines in some Moscow universities already); though it might as well happen that you'll drop your gay agenda when your situation will deteriorate.
    Wait, you don't think that he isn't the enemy of human welfare by allowing people to run rampant and openly assault gays?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I always wondered how much the US "alt-right" bonded with Russian nationalists over homophobia.
    Did you? They were more or less cheering when the members of Pussy Riot got publicly beaten during the Olympics.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Wait, you don't think that he isn't the enemy of human welfare by allowing people to run rampant and openly assault gays?
    Noone allows people to run rampart and openly assault gays; it is dealt with like any assault.

Gays aren't Navalny; they are not specifically targeted by "government-approved" guys (due to them being non-entity politically), and obviously Putin does try to keep violence limited to his forces - and squashes "vigilantes".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I always wondered how much the US "alt-right" bonded with Russian nationalists over homophobia.
    I think this sums up options nicely:

Russophobe: Russians are Finno-Tatar-Mongol mongrels alien to European civilization. They hate democracy and can only be ruled with an iron fist, a situation they welcome and actively enjoy. Their rulers – Tsars, Secretaries General, Presidents, it makes no difference – were/are cruel tyrants obsessed with imperial delusions, yet were/are idolized in spite (or probably because) of this. Their men are hard drinkers, their women licentious, yet they believe themselves to be the only beacon of true civilization in the world and openly scoff at Western values. AND THAT’S TERRIBLE.

“Russophile”: Russians are Finno-Tatar-Mongol mongrels alien to European civilization. They hate democracy and can only be ruled with an iron fist, a situation they welcome and actively enjoy. Their rulers – Tsars, Secretaries General, Presidents, it makes no difference – were/are tyrants obsessed with imperial delusions, yet were/are idolized in spite (or probably because) of this. Their men are hard drinkers, their women licentious, yet they believe themselves to be the only beacon of true civilization in the world and openly scoff at Western values. AND THAT’S AWESOME.

And this, ladies of gentlemen, sums the entire variety of discourse on Russia in existence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Noone allows people to run rampart and openly assault gays; it is dealt with like any assault.
    I.e. not at all. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Did you? They were more or less cheering when the members of Pussy Riot got publicly beaten during the Olympics.
    You mean Pussy Riot theatrical performance with their Cossack actor?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I.e. not at all. Lol.
    Yeah, yeah, just like US Police doesn't investigate when they shoot blacks. /s