Tom Brady was easily the best QB in this game. But he wasn't that good, by his standards.

Edelmen won the playoffs for the Patriots. He converted something like 20 first downs for the Patriots since the semis? It's one of the reasons why I have a hard time buying into the "Brady is the GOAT" thing, when there have been plenty of games like this one where the defense and someone on the offense was just uncoverable (see: Gronk) which makes a huge difference. As someone else pointed out, it really does seem like people just let the hype about the Bill/Brady duo get into their heads.

I'm not upset by all of the missed calls, because both teams benefited from missed calls. But there were some back-breaking flags thrown against the Rams that really did seem like some phantom flags. I don't think there was some conspiracy in the Pats favor, but they sure do seem to benefit from flags like that in the playoffs, which could be due to biased refs or just the refs really being that awful. However, that wasn't what decided the game. It was lost by the Rams inability to cover Edelman and their god-awful offensive game-plan. Really wish the Saints had won because I think it would have been a good game, not a race to the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks01 View Post
    It's the worst run league in sports and is coasting off the past. And I hate that I want to watch it because I do not want to give any support to this garbage league. I literally feel bad for watching games.
    It peaked in the 80s and 90s. Pretty much every change that has been made in the 2000s on has made the league worse.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    It peaked in the 80s and 90s. Pretty much every change that has been made in the 2000s on has made the league worse.
    It's become super corporate, and super ultra-patriotic since 9/11. But you can pretty much say "it's gotten super corporate" about everything. Times Square, Hollywood, video games, whatever. But the NFL does seem a bit more soulless these days.

Maybe it's just because the soulless Pats have dominated it for all the 00s.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It's become super corporate, and super ultra-patriotic since 9/11. But you can pretty much say "it's gotten super corporate" about everything. Times Square, Hollywood, video games, whatever. But the NFL does seem a bit more soulless these days.

Maybe it's just because the soulless Pats have dominated it for all the 00s.
    Or maybe it's just greed that has made the game soulless. There's no passion anymore, you can tell that most of the owners only care about making money, which is why so few are actually hell bent on being champions. I guess they figure so long as they are making money, who cares if they win or not?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
    Neither does maroon 5 though.
    And both are shit for their own reasons. Mainly because I feel retarded giving them a shred of attention.

What a disappointment the Rams offense was. Goff looked like a deer in headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa. Guy has 5000 career receiving yards at age 32. He's averaged 74 yards/game in the playoffs which is... nice. Meanwhile, Isaac Bruce has had trouble getting in. He has 15000 career rushing yards and averaged 85 yards per game in the playoffs.

Edelman is not even close to a Hall of Famer. He's a nice player who's made the most of a perfect situation. But easy there man... he's not a hall of famer.

Edit: Oh yeah, and he took PEDs.
    ROFL, with the level of spin here you might go into orbit. Edelman has effectively been in his current role for FIVE SEASONS. He's won super bowls in three, and been totally instrumental in helping the team win all three of them. He's second all time in playoff receptions, Bruce isn't in the top 50. How many rings does Isaac Bruce have? How many super bowl MVPs? Oh and lets just ignore his career as a number one receiver was effectively 2-3x as long as Edelman's has been at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    That's some pretty serious hyperbole you got going there. Brady didn't play great, but Goff was just downright awful.
    I wasn't talking game performance, which should have been clear in the context. Goff completely choked this game because he wasn't mentally ready. Brady is always mentally ready, which is why he is such a juggernaut in the post season. Brady is clearly the better quarterback as a career, I think it is pretty clear he is the best that has ever played in the NFL, but if you look at his bad throws in this game it was because he threw them as best he could, and it just wasn't enough. Goff on the other hand was just throwing garbage, making crucial mistakes that led to sacks, and a never ending stream of mental errors.

Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    ROFL, with the level of spin here you might go into orbit. Edelman has effectively been in his current role for FIVE SEASONS. He's won super bowls in three, and been totally instrumental in helping the team win all three of them. He's second all time in playoff receptions, Bruce isn't in the top 50. How many rings does Isaac Bruce have? How many super bowl MVPs? Oh and lets just ignore his career as a number one receiver was effectively 2-3x as long as Edelman's has been at this point.
    And you can put down the Kool-Aid. Just winning super bowls does not mean he is a hall of famer. It is a team game and while he has some decent playoff numbers that is about it. He has two 1000 yard seasons He's been in the league since '09 and will be like 33 by next season. Even a couple more years of good production won't really be enough. Also, he has had Brady throwing to him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Wow you got some great numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not just the ending score. You pay some amount for a box (ex. My boxes were $10 each). That box gives you those two numbers. (Ex. I have Patriots 8 and Rams 8.)

Then, at the end of each quarter, the score decides the winner. It's not only the final game score. First quarter winner gets $150 (based on $10 box cost, and the system I use), halftime winner gets $250, third quarter winner gets $150, and the final score winner gets $400. (And final score reversed gets $50.)

Idk if other people do it like that, but my bookie does it like that. So there are a few chances to win.
    Missed FG with 10 seconds left cost me $600

ugh!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Missed FG with 10 seconds left cost me $600

ugh!
    Ouch, sorry for your loss.

To those of you already looking longingly to the off season and what may be, I can HIGHLY recommend checking out Over The Cap today cause they released several of their data pages with cool shit, like a page with transactions a team can make to create cap room, a page with a list of when certain contracts will trigger certain options and a page with lots of sortable option about which free agents there are this off season like this: https://overthecap.com/free-agency/. Really great content and something I'll use all off season to look at stuff and check on things.

Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    Julian Edelman has about the same stats as Golden Tate. Except Golden Tate is younger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    3) McVay played a really Vanilla plan. Reminded me of Chicago in the Snoozebowl vs the Colts. Did they try any trick plays? Anything quirky? I don't remember it.
    I'm still laughing at the earlier suggestion that McVay is more aggressive than Payton.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I'm still laughing at the earlier suggestion that McVay is more aggressive than Payton.
    They call more trick punts I guess? Outside of that he's soooo agressive. That or trying to cover up for his slightly above average QB.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brian Flores is officially official the new Miami Dolphins HC and Zac Taylor is officially official the new Bengals HC.

Shame to see Flores go. He took Belichick's defense and turned up the heat with it, bringing FAR more pressure than Patricia did in his tenure. The difference was stark and I can only hope the next person at the helm of the defensive playcalling does as good a job.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Also, Twitter is the worst. Are they really upset that Spongebob only got a 5 second cameo? Spongebob doesn't belong in the Super Bowl at all you whingey fucks.
    ...spongebob? I missed most of the half time show.

I like Spongebob.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    ...spongebob? I missed most of the half time show.

I like Spongebob.
    It's about this: Spongebob and friends have a band and they end up playing during a football game half time show and then do this video's performance (2 min video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9iYm9PEAHg

It was teased before the Superbowl that Spongebob would be in it, but it turned out to only be a 5 sec introduction of one of the actual performers and not a rendition of Sweet Victory.

Watching some of Goff's "highlights" makes it seem like the game was more on the Rams offense shitting the bed than the Pats defense doing anything great. Wide open guy in the middle of the fields for a 1st down? Lets force a ball into tight coverage that the receiver has no chance at instead. If Goff is always that bad at reading defenses, McVay has done an amazing job covering it up.

Not sure what anyone was expecting from the halftime show either. They almost always suck really bad, and when they bring in Adam Levine the expectations need to be as low as they can possibly get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Watching some of Goff's "highlights" makes it seem like the game was more on the Rams offense shitting the bed than the Pats defense doing anything great. Wide open guy in the middle of the fields for a 1st down? Lets force a ball into tight coverage that the receiver has no chance at instead. If Goff is always that bad at reading defenses, McVay has done an amazing job covering it up.

Not sure what anyone was expecting from the halftime show either. They almost always suck really bad, and when they bring in Adam Levine the expectations need to be as low as they can possibly get.
    I think the Pats defense just got in Goff's head.

Early on, they pressured him, hit him and left no one uncovered forcing Goff into constantly making hard throws. Eventually he just constantly expected the rush and expected to have to make the difficult throws and was so rattled that he always expected the worst, even when simple good plays were there for him to make.

The Patriots had an anonymous player tell an NFL Network inside reporter just before the game started that they felt they could make Goff shit himself. In hindsight from comments defensive players made, this was probably inspired by that players confidence in the game plan they had. And he ended up being totally right.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I think the Pats defense just got in Goff's head.

Early on, they pressured him, hit him and left no one uncovered forcing Goff into constantly making hard throws. Eventually he just constantly expected the rush and expected to have to make the difficult throws and was so rattled that he always expected the worst, even when simple good plays were there for him to make.

The Patriots had an anonymous player tell an NFL Network inside reporter just before the game started that they felt they could make Goff shit himself. In hindsight from comments defensive players made, this was probably inspired by that players confidence in the game plan they had. And he ended up being totally right.
    Well good thing the Boy Wonder McVay realized his QB was rattled and switched to a more ground oriented game plan. Oh wait. 18 rushes for the entire game. Also I take most of those 'insider' reports with a grain of salt, too often it feels like that shit is made up because no one is there to fact check and they don't have to provide sources.