15+ Year Old Account
    It's not a stretch that the Browns could've started 3-0 this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Idk why they don't start Mayfield in first 2 games

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    in which case, RIP Seattle next game. Wilson better prepare to get Tank'ed
    Although to be fair, the ‘Hawks started on the road against two of the league’s biggest game-wreckers in Miller and Mack. So the O-line probably won’t be that atrocious at home against Dallas- just their usual awful.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Although to be fair, the ‘Hawks started on the road against two of the league’s biggest game-wreckers in Miller and Mack. So the O-line probably won’t be that atrocious at home against Dallas- just their usual awful.
    Dallas has the 2nd most sacks in the league right now. Thats with Wilson feeding pass rushers with his rookie tier release time.

Problem isn't the o-line. Not even Ifedi has been atrocious. Wilson just has been straight ass this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Dallas has the 2nd most sacks in the league right now.
    Ooh, had no idea about that. (I don't usually bother even looking up stats until at least week 5- meaningfulness of small sample sizes and all that)

On Wilson, his usual escape artistry hasn't been very effective this year, but how much of his late release do you think is him trying to let receivers get open?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Dallas has the 2nd most sacks in the league right now. Thats with Wilson feeding pass rushers with his rookie tier release time.

Problem isn't the o-line. Not even Ifedi has been atrocious. Wilson just has been straight ass this season.

What could've possibly happened to them? They used to be top tier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Ooh, had no idea about that. (I don't usually bother even looking up stats until at least week 5- meaningfulness of small sample sizes and all that)

On Wilson, his usual escape artistry hasn't been very effective this year, but how much of his late release do you think is him trying to let receivers get open?
    Its a repeating, infuriating cycle of Wilson every year. He doesn't trust his receivers to go up and get the ball. His deep ball accuracy is all over the place.

It all isn't on Wilson. Schotty is bad, the play that earned Wilson a pick 6 was ran exactly the same play they ran in the first quarter. Thats after Pete Carroll blew a timeout because the "offense wasn't in formation". Wilson was visibly angry at Pete over it because he was making checks. Pete didn't like that so he blew the timeout.

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/stat...82643901378561

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/stat...85227855327235

Seahawks are a complete dumpster fire and will be lucky to win 5 games without a serious overhaul on playcalling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watched the second half of the game after I found out Cleveland had won (but not the score). I think Baker had his moments, but I wouldn't call him a slam dunk just yet. He had a few boneheaded plays in there and some inaccurate balls that might have ended up bouncing differently with some less luck.

It's clear the Browns have a legitimate starter in Mayfield though and that they finally ended the caroussel. How good he will be time will tell.

Definitely saw everything bad Sam Darnold has to offer this game though. Made multiple really bad decisions with the ball, throwing late and into bad coverage. The thought was that he would learn to not do that in the NFL, but so far he's clearly not learnt a thing. I mean, he didn;t have a chance for routes to develop or do anything in the pocket, but that's no excuse for some of the throws he made. Need to decide more quickly what to do and throw it away if the play isn't there, not wait it out hoping for something to happen and then heave it late, over the middle, into double coverage.

Between the Lions game where Darnold was at his best and this game where he was at his worst, I think we've seen the 2 ends of the spectrum for Darnold, and the Jets have to coach him up to more consistently be like he was against the Lions. No idea if they have the offensive staff to do that though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Definitely saw everything bad Sam Darnold has to offer this game though. Made multiple really bad decisions with the ball, throwing late and into bad coverage. The thought was that he would learn to not do that in the NFL, but so far he's clearly not learnt a thing. I mean, he didn;t have a chance for routes to develop or do anything in the pocket, but that's no excuse for some of the throws he made. Need to decide more quickly what to do and throw it away if the play isn't there, not wait it out hoping for something to happen and then heave it late, over the middle, into double coverage.
    That's essentially the difference between Goff as a rookie and Goff today. Its amazing what good coaching can do.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    That's essentially the difference between Goff as a rookie and Goff today. Its amazing what good coaching can do.
    Given the media in NY, and how they crowned Darnold The Chosen One after his first game, I think any kind of under performance by Darnold and the team will get squarely placed on Todd Bowles. The front office played their cards pretty well lately with Darnold and Bridgewater, so I'm going to assume that it will just be Bowles getting axed.

Long season though, and Bowles has proven to not be completely terrible, last night not withstanding. His main problem is the O-line his front office stuck him with. He might have a legit defense and a developing QB and still get fired just cause his O-line is terrible, which is not really all that much on him.

NFL is a tough business and I'm not sure Bowles has the specific knowledge and coaching acumen needed to make sure his O-line problems don't torpedo his season and potentially his HC career.

If Bowles gets fired though, I'm pretty sure there will be teams lining up to sign him as their DC. He's proven with Arizona and the Jets that he can do good things on that side of the ball.

With regards to coaching and developing QB's, I'm more worried for Mayfield though. If he does enough this year and carries his team to a few wins, he might save Hue's job, which would definitely be in his own detriment.

I think the Browns GM Dorsey is probably hoping for a 4-6 win campaign, just bad enough to justify axing Hue, but just good enough to talk about going in the right direction.

If the Browns are "in the hunt" in December, that'll be problematic in terms of firing Hue. It would still be the right choice, but it makes it harder from a PR standpoint.

Also, Baker's one bad miss was on the near-interception in the middle of the end zone, didn't see the guy underneath. That'll come with time. He's already willing to throw the ball away, which is more than I can say for Josh Allen, who dragged Melvin Ingram for 5 yards (all the Buffalo people were like, "HE'S AN ABSOLUTE UNIT").....and then proceeded to throw a pick directly in the arms of a Chargers DB, instead of throwing it away. Hero ball at its worst.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    which is more than I can say for Josh Allen, who dragged Melvin Ingram for 5 yards (all the Buffalo people were like, "HE'S AN ABSOLUTE UNIT").....and then proceeded to throw a pick directly in the arms of a Chargers DB, instead of throwing it away. Hero ball at its worst.
    It was the perfect play, with the combination of potential and incredible stupidity to satisfy both optimists and pessimists.
    /s

There has been head coaches fired after making the playoffs, so they could still dump Hue Jackson even if they have a good record.

If the whole "looks like a QB" thing didn't exist, Mayfield would have been the clear best QB in the draft, so doesn't surprise me he played pretty well.

It was the perfect play, with the combination of potential and incredible stupidity to satisfy both optimists and pessimists.
    Everyone here loved Josh Allen's performance because he threw barely over 50% for 245 yards, 1 TD, and 2 INT. He had a 14 point something QBR, but everyone here thinks he's the best QB of the draft so far.

Man, football fans are reminding me of politics, and it's not even over the Kaepernick thing. They'll just believe anything because it's their guy, or their team. It's always been this way, but with the rise of reason and analytics and all that, is it too much to ask for winning football based on actual facts and analysis as opposed to guts and faith and being a warrior? I'm a fan of the Buffalo Bills - the entire franchise. That doesn't mean you have to ipso facto support wholeheartedly the current administration or the players it picks.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I think the Browns GM Dorsey is probably hoping for a 4-6 win campaign, just bad enough to justify axing Hue, but just good enough to talk about going in the right direction.

If the Browns are "in the hunt" in December, that'll be problematic in terms of firing Hue. It would still be the right choice, but it makes it harder from a PR standpoint.
    That will all be resolved if Hue puts Taylor back in as starter in week 4, which is a possibility considering how freakishly bad Hue is at coaching or knowing the fanbase. We've already had a player retire midgame this year, could we have a coach fired mid game too?

10+ Year Old Account
    As for coaching, I was mostly speaking out against Jeremy Bates, not the most highly regarded OC. Not the person I would want working with a young QB considering how high the stakes are. When you have a defensive minded coach like Bowles, its the OC and QB coach that are most significant in developing the young QBs.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't see the game last night, checked out the highlights, saw the bad game losing pick. Pretty much the kind of shit Darnold was doing last year at USC.
    /s

Well that and goff had a great d and RB to relieve some of the pressure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    There has been head coaches fired after making the playoffs, so they could still dump Hue Jackson even if they have a good record.

If the whole "looks like a QB" thing didn't exist, Mayfield would have been the clear best QB in the draft, so doesn't surprise me he played pretty well.
    Idk it would be hard to justify firing a coach that made it to the playoffs after how long they went without.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they were looking to dump Hue why keep him through 0-16?
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    They couldn’t find anyone better to take the job?
    I think they could find somebody better than an offensive minded coach who finished 31st and 32nd in scoring, and went 1-31. There are too many people with better resumes than that for them to all not be interested.
    /s

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If it’s only a minor upgrade you end up with more changes in a short time. Better to find the right person who you believe can lead your team for at least the next 5 years.
    The 49er way. Fire Harbaugh, replace him with Jim Tomsula (!). Fire him after a year and replace him with Chip Kelly. Fire him after a year and well now it's looking a bit more stable but that was two wasted years.