The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Keenum will cost 10 mill to release. Part of why it doesn't make sense. Paying 28 mill or whatever it will be for that 1 roster spot is insane.

He can thank Rahim Moore for that.
    Latest word is they're going to shop Keenum.

My guess is unless they're willing to part with him for a low pick they're probably going to carry him as the backup next year yet.

Honestly biggest thing this does is clear the decks for Foles to the Jaguars, not that that was probably ever in doubt. Also has to suck if you're a draft QB this year. Your last chance to not fall out of the top 10 is going to be if a team like the Raiders or Giants decides they need to plan for 2020.

And knowing the Raiders they'll make the overtures, trigger a trade up rush to get ahead of them, and take Nick Bosa.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    My guess is unless they're willing to part with him for a low pick they're probably going to carry him as the backup next year yet.
    Keenum's cap hit is 21 mill for next year if still on the team, so he is gone even if they can't trade him.

Probably still drafting a QB too. Flacco can be dumped whenever they want with no dead cap hit if he keeps his current contract.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing says "designed to face the AFC West pass rush" like a giant immobile target.

15+ Year Old Account
    Also has to suck if you're a draft QB this year. Your last chance to not fall out of the top 10 is going to be if a team like the Raiders or Giants decides they need to plan for 2020.
    Sounds like a positive to me, gives them time to learn without being forced to start for a usually bad team with a weak roster, generally including a foosball O-line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

The best part about the Flacco trade is that he is statistically the same QB as Keenum over their last 40 starts, and 2018 Keenum was about the same as 2016 Siemian (who had no running game and Rick Dennison to deal with for half the year). That is a lot of money for the production of a 7th round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Nothing says "designed to face the AFC West pass rush" like a giant immobile target.
    At least 1 AFCW team has no pass rush, so could be worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best part about the Flacco trade is that he is statistically the same QB as Keenum over their last 40 starts, and 2018 Keenum was about the same as 2016 Siemian (who had no running game and Rick Dennison to deal with for half the year). That is a lot of money for the production of a 7th round pick.

Elway deserves all the expense and failure for breaking up the Siemian-Butt combination before it ever had a chance to blossom.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at the stacked defensive talent in this draft, I dare suggest it will be worse.

If Chad Kelly wasn't such a fuck up off the field, would he be the Broncos starter week 1 and this trade never have happened?

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Elway deserves all the expense and failure for breaking up the Siemian-Butt combination before it ever had a chance to blossom.
    Neither side of that is working out, Butt keeps getting hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    If Chad Kelly wasn't such a fuck up off the field, would he be the Broncos starter week 1 and this trade never have happened?
    He was supposedly close to playing when it happened. No idea how good he would have been so hard to tell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man. Offseason just hit me hard. I could have really done with a nice ball game tonight.

Guess I'll just try and get into some early draft coverage on WR and TE's tonight instead.

Its interesting how Elway gets a lot of heat for QB personnel decisions but, realistically, its incredibly difficult to find good QBs. Some NFL clubs have literally gone decades without finding one. The Bears have not had consistent QB play in forever. The Buccaneers, Jets, Ravens, Bengals, and Jaguars have never had a true elite franchise QB in their history. (Even Joe Namath was just pretty good but never great).

If the Broncos went another 30 years without finding a QB, it wouldn't be a shock.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

The Packers and the Colts are genuinely the lucky ones. That doesn't happen often, to have two Hall-of-Fame-esque (we'll see about Luck) back to back.

Personally, I can't wait til Brady retires and the Patriots are flailing around in the mud like the rest of us.

Denver has historically been amazing at drafting QBs before Elway. Jay Cutler, Brian Griese, Tommy Maddox and Tim Tebow are the pinnacle of 1st round picks. Makes sense why he gets as much hate as he does.

Joking aside, with some stuff coming out about Keenum's contract, it isn't quite as bad making the swap. If Keenum signs somewhere else, Denver could potentially break even on making the change for this year's cap. Then you have Flacco's contract having 0 guaranteed money, and being signed longer makes more friendly for drafting a QB next year instead of this year. Plus, it sounds like the coaching staff wanted Flacco instead of Keenum, so might not even have been an Elway move.

10+ Year Old Account
    So Antonio Brown is meeting with the Steeler's ownership, OBJ implied he may want a trade, and Kaepernick has reached a settlement with the NFL.

10+ Year Old Account
    So Antonio Brown is meeting with the Steeler's ownership, OBJ implied he may want a trade, and Kaepernick has reached a settlement with the NFL.
    They are all hugging it out (except OBJ), love truly IS in the air.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    They are all hugging it out (except OBJ), love truly IS in the air.
    Well hugging it out, sure. Still don't think Kaepernick plays in the NFL again if the reports he wanted $20 mil to play in the AAF are true.

Denver won't be keeping Brandon Marshall (the linebacker) next year. Makes sense, he can't stay healthy and has been really bad in coverage because of it.

Well hugging it out, sure. Still don't think Kaepernick plays in the NFL again if the reports he wanted $20 mil to play in the AAF are true.
    He could have been playing in the NFL the whole time if he actually wanted to (well assuming he didn't stink it up too bad). He turned down at least 1 team because he wanted more than his play at the time was worth. It was his own fault if he actually wants to play, and doesn't do stuff just to keep relevant for speaking opportunities or whatever he is doing now.

10+ Year Old Account
    He could have been playing in the NFL the whole time if he actually wanted to (well assuming he didn't stink it up too bad). He turned down at least 1 team because he wanted more than his play at the time was worth.
    This is an urban myth. He never got offered anything. If he did, he wouldn't have had a case against the NFL, and he definitely did, given today's settlement. Think about it. Given the NFL's usual tactics, would they have left this story brewing for this long if they had simple, hard proof that NFL teams HAD tried to sign Kaep? They wouldn't. They would have crowed about it to every reporter they could find. The fact they didn't speaks volumes.

The NFL blackballed him at first and then when commotion about it started they couldn't backtrack cause of their uncertainty about the backlash it might cause. This was yet again the NFL owners being a bunch of old rich guys afraid to lose money. The funny thing is, in the end this settlement probably cost them less than any backlash might have cost them, so cynical as it all was, it was the best option for them.

I love the game, but the business side of the NFL is thoroughly rotten.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    This is an urban myth. He never got offered anything
    If he was willing to restructure his contract and take less money he would have been in Denver. He wouldn't do that so he got released. No team was going to sign a QB that got outplayed by Blaine Gabbert what he was making for the 49ers. He had the opportunity to be traded and restructure but didn't.

The lawsuit was for after this happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    If he was willing to restructure his contract and take less money he would have been in Denver. He wouldn't do that so he got released. No team was going to sign a QB that got outplayed by Blaine Gabbert what he was making for the 49ers. He had the opportunity to be traded and restructure but didn't.

The lawsuit was for after this happened.
    Fair enough.

I'd argue he was well within his rights to refuse to restructure, cause getting released should have meant he could sign where he wanted and what was the best situation for him, and not just get traded somewhere with zero say in the matter and having to give up money to do so. I doubt many players would have cooperated with this. Most of them want have some influence on where they go.