1. #6261
    Denver won't be keeping Brandon Marshall (the linebacker) next year. Makes sense, he can't stay healthy and has been really bad in coverage because of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Well hugging it out, sure. Still don't think Kaepernick plays in the NFL again if the reports he wanted $20 mil to play in the AAF are true.
    He could have been playing in the NFL the whole time if he actually wanted to (well assuming he didn't stink it up too bad). He turned down at least 1 team because he wanted more than his play at the time was worth. It was his own fault if he actually wants to play, and doesn't do stuff just to keep relevant for speaking opportunities or whatever he is doing now.

  2. #6262
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    22,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    He could have been playing in the NFL the whole time if he actually wanted to (well assuming he didn't stink it up too bad). He turned down at least 1 team because he wanted more than his play at the time was worth.
    This is an urban myth. He never got offered anything. If he did, he wouldn't have had a case against the NFL, and he definitely did, given today's settlement. Think about it. Given the NFL's usual tactics, would they have left this story brewing for this long if they had simple, hard proof that NFL teams HAD tried to sign Kaep? They wouldn't. They would have crowed about it to every reporter they could find. The fact they didn't speaks volumes.

    The NFL blackballed him at first and then when commotion about it started they couldn't backtrack cause of their uncertainty about the backlash it might cause. This was yet again the NFL owners being a bunch of old rich guys afraid to lose money. The funny thing is, in the end this settlement probably cost them less than any backlash might have cost them, so cynical as it all was, it was the best option for them.

    I love the game, but the business side of the NFL is thoroughly rotten.

  3. #6263
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    This is an urban myth. He never got offered anything
    If he was willing to restructure his contract and take less money he would have been in Denver. He wouldn't do that so he got released. No team was going to sign a QB that got outplayed by Blaine Gabbert what he was making for the 49ers. He had the opportunity to be traded and restructure but didn't.

    The lawsuit was for after this happened.

  4. #6264
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    22,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    If he was willing to restructure his contract and take less money he would have been in Denver. He wouldn't do that so he got released. No team was going to sign a QB that got outplayed by Blaine Gabbert what he was making for the 49ers. He had the opportunity to be traded and restructure but didn't.

    The lawsuit was for after this happened.
    Fair enough.

    I'd argue he was well within his rights to refuse to restructure, cause getting released should have meant he could sign where he wanted and what was the best situation for him, and not just get traded somewhere with zero say in the matter and having to give up money to do so. I doubt many players would have cooperated with this. Most of them want have some influence on where they go.

  5. #6265
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    If he was willing to restructure his contract and take less money he would have been in Denver. He wouldn't do that so he got released. No team was going to sign a QB that got outplayed by Blaine Gabbert what he was making for the 49ers. He had the opportunity to be traded and restructure but didn't.

    The lawsuit was for after this happened.
    A bit of a reach on the Gabbert thing. I think you can make the argument in 2015, but not 2016 (on play alone--not arguing whether or not the better play is worth the $$ Kap commanded).

    And to your point in your previous post--tough to say Kap would have been playing this whole time if he restructured his deal and went to Denver. I'd agree with that only under the condition that he played incredibly well--as it would make it much harder for someone to cave in on releasing him (this is assuming he still started his protest if he were in Denver). If he was mediocre to solid in Denver, under a reasonable contract, I think there's a pretty strong argument that he would have been cut anyway.

    The settlement, particularly the complete gag order on everyone involved, and the lock up of all communication in the trial may as well be the NFL screaming from the top of a mountain that they colluded against Kap and Reid to keep them off teams. Do we think they wouldn't have done that had he been in Denver?

    Not saying I'm right and you're wrong or anything like that--this is all a bunch of what ifs. The one known in all of this though is that the league pretty clearly didn't want him playing in the NFL and made that very known to the owners.
    Last edited by Espo; 2019-02-16 at 02:11 AM.

  6. #6266
    Bills released TE Charles Clay. What a FA bust he's been.

  7. #6267
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    22,960
    "Former raiders GM Reggie McKenzie will be joining the Dolphins as a senior personnel executive." -Salguero/Rapoport


    That's a good get for the Dolphins. The only problem is that they have so many voices in the room already. Have to wonder who in the end has final say and how much influence Reggie will have.

  8. #6268
    Legendary! Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    6,269
    These camera angles that the AAF is giving us ain't gonna work.

  9. #6269
    I was in the Inglewood area for the first time in a while, stadium is coming in nicely, starting to look like the concepts.
    /s

  10. #6270
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    22,960
    It's that time again. The NFL season is well and truly over, and the next season is about to begin. We will begin a new season thread over here:

    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...amp-AAF-Thread

    Thanks for everything this season and see you in the new one!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •