Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I wasn't overly impressed with it. It was a decent enough movie, but definitely toward the bottom of the MCU for me.

The whole movie screamed "this is a movie about black people, that was made for black people, and we're gonna do everything we can to shove black people related stuff in your face the entire time!" Nothing wrong with that in and if itself, but it felt EXTREMELY FORCED at times throughout the movie and I feel like it suffers some because of it. Also, as a side note, the black people in our theater would not stop laughing and yelling throughout the whole movie (was so fucking annoying). Which kind of reinforces my point.

Like I said, decent enough movie, but also toward the bottom of my personal rankings within the MCU movie list.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    I wasn't overly impressed with it. It was a decent enough movie, but definitely toward the bottom of the MCU for me.

The whole movie screamed "this is a movie about black people, that was made for black people, and we're gonna do everything we can to shove black people related stuff in your face the entire time!" Nothing wrong with that in and if itself, but it felt EXTREMELY FORCED at times throughout the movie and I feel like it suffers some because of it. Also, as a side note, the black people in our theater would not stop laughing and yelling throughout the whole movie (was so fucking annoying). Which kind of reinforces my point.

Like I said, decent enough movie, but also toward the bottom of my personal rankings within the MCU movie list.
    As a black man it being forced is simply false. This is as genuine and authentic of a representation of black culture both American and African that you're gonna get in a Disney movie.

I totally understand if it didn't resonate with you though. There's nothing wrong with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    As a black man it being forced is simply false. This is as genuine and authentic of a representation of black culture both American and African that you're gonna get in a Disney movie.

I totally understand if it didn't resonate with you though. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Thats kind of the thing isn't it? Black culture is so misrepresented/type casted in Hollywood that genuine depictions feel forced/pandering.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

This is as genuine and authentic of a representation of black culture both American and African...
    Why would be there American culture in Africa? That's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post

I dunno, none of it seemed forced to me, no more than Captain America being set in Europe made me feel German and British culture "forced" on me. The setting was mostly in Africa, I would expect it to focus on issues relating to the region it's based in.

I wonder if part of it is Americans and Europeans are so used to the Western world being the default that any time it's not the focus, it comes across as "jarring" or "forced".

Deleted
    Is there an objective review for this movie somewhere that isn't influenced by the skin color of the actors?
    I just want to know how the movie really is, not if it's great for African American culture or whatever social issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Thats kind of the thing isn't it? Black culture is so misrepresented/type casted in Hollywood that genuine depictions feel forced/pandering.
    Yep, which is why I don't really blame Zephyr for feeling the way he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Why would be there American culture in Africa? That's ridiculous.
    What? I think you misunderstood me. It's an authentic representation of black American culture AND black African culture.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Is there an objective review for this movie somewhere that isn't influenced by the skin color of the actors?
    I just want to know how the movie really is, not if it's great for African American culture or whatever social issue.
    I would say it has objectively the best MCU villain since Loki and I personally liked Killmonger even more. The action scenes aren't anything to write home about, they're servicable but not really any awe-inspiring moments. The supporting cast was also well fleshed out in comparison to other Marvel films.

Its cultural significance is pretty integral to the movie though, which is why you hear it talked about so much. I think one of the best parts about it though, is that it never preachy unlike many movies and media today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treys View Post
    You're telling me you forgot about this movie faster than Thor: Ragnarok? Oh come now :P
    Absolutely. Thor Ragnarok had everything a Marvel movie needed to be a success.....Action, Drama, Laughs (so many laughs). Black Panther felt like it was trying to not only take itself very seriously, but also deliver some social commentary that wasn't needed. It was, in my opinion, the weakest solo entry so far...and I say that mainly because the momentum of the characters introduction in Civil War just wasn't carried through into the Black Panther movie.

Deleted
    I would say it has objectively the best MCU villain since Loki and I personally liked Killmonger even more. The action scenes aren't anything to write home about, they're servicable but not really any awe-inspiring moments. The supporting cast was also well fleshed out in comparison to other Marvel films.

Its cultural significance is pretty integral to the movie though, which is why you hear it talked about so much. I think one of the best parts about it though, is that it never preachy unlike many movies and media today.
    Thanks, that's pretty informative!

The only complaint I hear is that the CGI isnt all that good, but that seems to a be trend lately.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    So basically the high ratings is "this is a black movie you can't say it is bad." I mean they're acting like this director and BP and KM's actors are going to keep on making record breaking movies. Kinda similar to that "Get Out" movie which was supposed to be so "deep" and revealing "underlying racist problems" when in reality it was just bashing white people under the guise of conspiracy.
    While this is likely true for some reviews, others may be because, I dunno, they loved the movie?

For example, I thought Gladiator was a terrible movie, but I know plenty of people and reviews that loved it. I didn't turn around and assume those high ratings were bullshit or agenda laden.

I sure as hell would give Black Panther high marks, but I guess its easier on some folk to assume its a false rating though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    Nope, my wife and I really enjoyed it, so did friends that have seen it. Best MCU movie? Not in my opinion, but definitely top-tier. The Killmonger character was really well developed--easily a villain that ranks up there with Hiddleston's Loki. And his last few lines in the film--heavy stuff. CA:WS remains my favorite, but BP is top five.
    Agree with this. I'll be doing a marathon of the movies in advance of Infinity War, which will probably help me sort out exactly where I'd rank it

The only complaint I hear is that the CGI isnt all that good, but that seems to a be trend lately.
    I found most of the CGI to be okay. The only parts that bothered me were the rhinos.

The CGI wasn't terrible but it was just used so much the movie is not going to age well.

As a person that doesn't care about diversity in the slightest, I thought it was a solid film. Andy Serkis was fantastic and Killmonger was a much deeper villain than we usually get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxuvox View Post
    Absolutely. Thor Ragnarok had everything a Marvel movie needed to be a success.....Action, Drama, Laughs (so many laughs). Black Panther felt like it was trying to not only take itself very seriously, but also deliver some social commentary that wasn't needed. It was, in my opinion, the weakest solo entry so far...and I say that mainly because the momentum of the characters introduction in Civil War just wasn't carried through into the Black Panther movie.
    It may have not been needed by you, but I know myself and many of my black friends who I've spoken to about the movie felt very inspired and empowered by it. If it didn't speak to you on that level, then that's perfectly fine and I definitely understand that. But I think myself and many others needed this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxuvox View Post
    It was taking itself very seriously by being really fucking funny a lot of the time. Its not a flat out comedy like GotG 1/2/3 was but it was certainly funnier than some of the other MCU films. There were certainly some heavy moments too. Its certainly political but its not radically more political than Civil War was.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    While this is likely true for some reviews, others may be because, I dunno, they loved the movie?

For example, I thought Gladiator was a terrible movie, but I know plenty of people and reviews that loved it. I didn't turn around and assume those high ratings were bullshit or agenda laden.

I sure as hell would give Black Panther high marks, but I guess its easier on some folk to assume its a false rating though.

Agree with this. I'll be doing a marathon of the movies in advance of Infinity War, which will probably help me sort out exactly where I'd rank it

I found most of the CGI to be okay. The only parts that bothered me were the rhinos.
    Problem is that it's not an assumption. People have literally called people racist for not liking the movie or even being critical of it and having people label you as a racist these days when you're in the public eye like a critic is career suicide.

- - - Updated - - -

It may have not been needed by you, but I know myself and many of my black friends who I've spoken to about the movie felt very inspired and empowered by it. If it didn't speak to you on that level, then that's perfectly fine and I definitely understand that. But I think myself and many others needed this movie.
    The thing is that it's pretty racist that people can't find inspiration in a movie simply because it doesn't have their race headlining it. If you can't be inspired by a white movie in the same way you're inspired by a black movie, you might be a racist.

Im with you TC, Its a rare case, for me, where the parts are greater than the whole. Acting was solid, Set and costume design was solid, Action was solid, characters and their motivations were solid, the plot was OK. But at the end of the day I walked out somewhat entertained but bored.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

The only real criticism of the movie I have is how it is paced. The first half seemed really slow and unnecessary, then the second half began and shit got real. Others have said this but it feels like the plot of two movies rammed into one. Klaue and Killmonger should have gotten separate movies.

It's still a good movie though. I'm shifting between a 7-8 out of 10, but it could have been much better if the entire movie was more streamlined to focus on one of the villains instead of both.

Problem is that it's not an assumption. People have literally called people racist for not liking the movie or even being critical of it and having people label you as a racist these days when you're in the public eye like a critic is career suicide.

The thing is that it's pretty racist that people can't find inspiration in a movie simply because it doesn't have their race headlining it. If you can't be inspired by a white movie in the same way you're inspired by a black movie, you might be a racist.
    A) I said "true for some" so unless you're trying to suggest "true for all", I'm not sure what your beef is. Also, if you're suggesting true for all, please provide evidence rather than hyperbole, rhetoric, and/or tired "reverse racism" talking points.

B) I'm not sure why someone saying the movie inspired them means they can't find inspiration in a movie with white people.

C) If you have concerns and opinions like the ones you've expressed in this post, you might be a racist.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had to adjust VLC a bit for darker scenes in the movie, but it was alright.

10+ Year Old Account

The thing is, its not. So cut the nonsense out.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    It was a very "paint by numbers" experience and nothing short of patronizing lip service.