Beta Key Giveaway Week 3: Winners have been selected!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Problem is that it's not an assumption. People have literally called people racist for not liking the movie or even being critical of it and having people label you as a racist these days when you're in the public eye like a critic is career suicide.

    The thing is that it's pretty racist that people can't find inspiration in a movie simply because it doesn't have their race headlining it. If you can't be inspired by a white movie in the same way you're inspired by a black movie, you might be a racist.
    A) I said "true for some" so unless you're trying to suggest "true for all", I'm not sure what your beef is. Also, if you're suggesting true for all, please provide evidence rather than hyperbole, rhetoric, and/or tired "reverse racism" talking points.

    B) I'm not sure why someone saying the movie inspired them means they can't find inspiration in a movie with white people.

    C) If you have concerns and opinions like the ones you've expressed in this post, you might be a racist.

  2. #82
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scottishlands
    Posts
    1,401
    I had to adjust VLC a bit for darker scenes in the movie, but it was alright.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxuvox View Post
    As can be ascertained from the thread title, I've been to see the Black Panther movie, and I gotta say, I was left a bit disappointed. After a brilliant introduction to of T'Challa/Black Panther in Captain America - Civil War, I had pretty high hopes for the solo outing. His intro was intense, and the action scenes he was in were brilliantly put together. However, very little of that made it through to the solo movie. In fact, 24 hours after watching, the memory has faded so much faster than ANY of the other entries into the MCU, which I usually and up discussing for days afterward with friends. Don't get me wrong; it did have highlights. Killmonger was excellently played by Jordan, Serkis was typically brilliant as Klaue, and the acting was solid throughout. But as a whole package? It was, for lack of a better word, forgettable. Now, there is promise in of a good sequel, and that arises from the first rolling credits sting (no spoilers), and the post credits sting leads nicely into the upcoming Avengers - Infinity War (again, no spoilers), but these can't save what is, in all honesty, a distinctly average movie.

    Please note that this is just my opinion, and it's based solely on the movie and it's story. I respect the opinions of any replies that agree or disagree with mine. Regardless of the title, I invite discussion from folks who loved the movie too. But please, lets not go down the route I've seen in some other discussions on other sites where racially charged comments start flying. Folks are politicising this movie, which i doubt was the intent of the creators. With that in mind, lets keep it civilised
    A LITTLE? A LOT!!

    the ending where they reveal to the whole world that they are not a nation of farmers but actually hold the most technologically advanced civilization
    and the fact that they actually saved bilbo when he got shot... jesus

  4. #84
    Titan PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    14,229
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post

    The thing is that it's pretty racist that people can't find inspiration in a movie simply because it doesn't have their race headlining it. If you can't be inspired by a white movie in the same way you're inspired by a black movie, you might be a racist.
    The thing is, its not. So cut the nonsense out.

  5. #85
    Dreadlord Dys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    968
    It was a very "paint by numbers" experience and nothing short of patronizing lip service.

  6. #86

  7. #87
    @Poppincaps......Seems somewhat limiting that after movies such as Hidden Figures, Malcolm X, and Glory (to name but a few) that absolutely resonate issues that have effected Black Americans in a powerful way, that you look to Black Panther for inspiration and empowerment. It begs the question, especially given your forum username, what aspect of the movie delivered this inspiration and empowerment?

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxuvox View Post
    @Poppincaps......Seems somewhat limiting that after movies such as Hidden Figures, Malcolm X, and Glory (to name but a few) that absolutely resonate issues that have effected Black Americans in a powerful way, that you look to Black Panther for inspiration and empowerment. It begs the question, especially given your forum username, what aspect of the movie delivered this inspiration and empowerment?
    Ah the classic strawman. Never said those movies weren't inspiring or empowering. Try again.

    Also your jab at my username is hilarious. I made it 12 years ago when I was 11 and it was a reference to the fact that I play a hunter in WoW. Makes me wonder if you actually want a productive discussion or if you're only interested in disliking this movie.

  9. #89
    Pandaren Monk Deldavala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    1,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Is there an objective review for this movie somewhere that isn't influenced by the skin color of the actors?
    I just want to know how the movie really is, not if it's great for African American culture or whatever social issue.
    Not to spoil anything, If you like Marvel movies its decent. Not top 3, but not bottom either. It is more in line with Winter Soldier/Civil war than Guardians of the Galaxy/Thor:Ragnarok. So if you prefer those movies you will rank it higher. All in all a decent comicbook movie, but not a masterpiece as people are shouting.

  10. #90
    It's pretty damn bland and boring. But you know - all black cast and that shizzle. Need to see it or you're a racist.

  11. #91
    It was fucking retarded, even by comic book movie standards.

  12. #92
    Legendary! Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    6,850
    Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    It was fucking retarded, even by comic book movie standards.
    How so ?

    - - - Updated - - -

    I’d say it’s mt 4th fav movie, behind winter solder at 1 home coming at 2 and civil war at 3. Most of the other marvel movies im not to big of a fan of and Ranarock left a bad taste in my mouth because of the hulk stuff.

  13. #93
    Bloodsail Admiral Xerra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    1,147
    The government being a monarchy and how it chooses leadership seems like the methods of a country that should not be super advanced. The economical/political setting isn't believable however I saw the personality ideologies to be reasonable and understandable. That action seemed good, a few characters were annoying or unneeded but no Jar Jar Binks at least. A little politic pushing but at least a solid 7 out of 10.

  14. #94
    @Poppincaps.......Hardly a Strawman. Assumptions were made on the information given. That they may have been wrong does not make for a stawman fallacy. The comments I made were more directed at your rebuttal of my statement about an unneeded social commentary, which is specifically about the arming of a cross section of the population to "Over throw the establishment, and take back what is theirs". I believe that to be the exact opposite of inspiring or empowering, especially in light of recent events. Fair enough, the movie was completed before the recent high school shooting or any recent police live fire incidents, but given the pre existence of these situations, that aspect of social commentary, or rather, the manner in which it was delivered, was completely unneeded. That is what many are saying was empowering and inspiring...to the point that some groups were preventing non-minorities from entering theatres on the grounds that "This movie wasn't made for you!". That makes those points not inspiring or empowering, but indirectly inflammatory. As for my dig at your username, that was nothing but a poor assumption on my part, so for that, apologies

    However....none of this really matters. My original point was that the title character carried little to none of the momentum built with his introduction, and the only really interesting characters were both killed off. The laughs were way too few, and the SFX nowhere near as punchy as we've been given from the previous Marvel presentations. I'll stand by my opinion on this, much as you will yours, I'm sure.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxuvox View Post
    @Poppincaps.......Hardly a Strawman. Assumptions were made on the information given. That they may have been wrong does not make for a stawman fallacy. The comments I made were more directed at your rebuttal of my statement about an unneeded social commentary, which is specifically about the arming of a cross section of the population to "Over throw the establishment, and take back what is theirs". I believe that to be the exact opposite of inspiring or empowering, especially in light of recent events. Fair enough, the movie was completed before the recent high school shooting or any recent police live fire incidents, but given the pre existence of these situations, that aspect of social commentary, or rather, the manner in which it was delivered, was completely unneeded. That is what many are saying was empowering and inspiring...to the point that some groups were preventing non-minorities from entering theatres on the grounds that "This movie wasn't made for you!". That makes those points not inspiring or empowering, but indirectly inflammatory. As for my dig at your username, that was nothing but a poor assumption on my part, so for that, apologies

    However....none of this really matters. My original point was that the title character carried little to none of the momentum built with his introduction, and the only really interesting characters were both killed off. The laughs were way too few, and the SFX nowhere near as punchy as we've been given from the previous Marvel presentations. I'll stand by my opinion on this, much as you will yours, I'm sure.
    I don't know if you just misunderstood the message but that was the exact opposite of what it was trying to convey. There is a portion of the black community that is angry. They are disgusted by the injustices inflicted on our ancestors, they are infuriated by the disproportionate rates at which blacks are convicted for identical crimes, and they are also angered at the multitude of police shootings as of late. So infuriated that they may feel like they need to take matters into their own hands. They are a small portion of the population and every group has their extremists, but the movie takes one of these people, humanizes him, but ultimately says, "I understand why you feel this way, but we cannot go down this path." The movie criticizes these ideas. It doesn't support them at all. It's basically the idea that Malcolm X and the Black Panthers ideas were understandable but wrong, and the path of Martin Luther King Jr. will always be the right one. Unity, not division.

    Also, I don't see how school shootings have anything to do with Black Panther. Hell, I never even hear about black people commiting the school shootings. Now if you wanna talk about gang violence in black communities I think that's an issue we absolutely need to tackle and I think due to the nature of the movie, it wasn't able to address that very important aspect of the problem.

    As for people telling white people to stay out of the movie theaters. The vast majority of people don't believe that in the slightest. I have seen such statements and I think they are absolutely fucking ridiculous. For the record, most of the statements I've seen this come from have been from white guilt SJWs. Which is a whole other issue.

    There are a few things I found empowering about this movie. 1. It's celebratory in a lot of ways. It's not a movie showing black people fighting against oppression like in Malcolm X or Hidden Figures. It's a movie of black people excelling without losing their culture. It's a vision (minus the vibranium of course) of what could be if we keep working towards it. 2. It shows a clear way forward. We as human beings need to work together and stop letting culture divide us. We should still keep our cultures of course but that shouldn't exclude us from standing side by side. It also inspired me to work towards a future where I can help the people in my communities that are struggling. 3. Hollywood has type casted and stereotyped black people for a long time. Black people have been relegated to token roles and only occassionally given the spotlight. This is a movie of almost an entirely black cast that was not only well received but is also the second fastest selling movie of all time. Hollywood was wrong and it feels great.

    As for your complaints about the movie, I certainly see where you're coming from. I don't necessarily agree on all your points, but I don't believe your opinions are unfounded.

  16. #96
    What I disliked:

    Hated the end fights.

    Thought that one dude would sacrifice himself. Leaving him the only true hero in the movie.

    So much of it was super easy to predict. Especially if you've seen the trailers.

    The green screen bullshit was so easy to spot...

    The scene with the one tribe howling like monkeys was extremely racist. I busted out laughing at it. Not because the joke landed the way they wanted, but because of how fucking hypocritical and racist these fucks were being.

    T'challa was a boring character. Still thought he made some excellent points about not letting people into his kingdom, only to turn on a fucking dime and change his mind.

    What I liked:

    I LOVED the fly over of Wakanda.

    I loved BOTH the villains. I wish Andy would have been in the movie more. The two of them were damn near perfect.

    The editing was awesome.

    The pacing was amazing.

    I'd give it a 6/10... Wasn't the best marvel movie by a LONG shot. But decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yes 16yo women are beautiful, and yes it is natural to be attracted towards them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Why is beating people with bike locks illegal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    IMO all the humanities are harder than "STEM" fields.

  17. #97
    It was alright. Way over hyped though

  18. #98
    Finally saw it. It was fine; just a movie. 6/10. The acting and setting were great, and some of the action scenes were fun, but the writing/dialog was rehashed from literally every superhero movie up to this point. It felt like it should have come out during Phase One 10 years ago. It might have felt better back then when this was all new, but we've seen this movie a dozen times, there wasn't really anything new or special about it. Honestly, it felt like a really long tv episode of The Flash or something else on CW.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I don't know if you just misunderstood the message but that was the exact opposite of what it was trying to convey. There is a portion of the black community that is angry. They are disgusted by the injustices inflicted on our ancestors, they are infuriated by the disproportionate rates at which blacks are convicted for identical crimes, and they are also angered at the multitude of police shootings as of late. So infuriated that they may feel like they need to take matters into their own hands. They are a small portion of the population and every group has their extremists, but the movie takes one of these people, humanizes him, but ultimately says, "I understand why you feel this way, but we cannot go down this path." The movie criticizes these ideas. It doesn't support them at all. It's basically the idea that Malcolm X and the Black Panthers ideas were understandable but wrong, and the path of Martin Luther King Jr. will always be the right one. Unity, not division.

    Also, I don't see how school shootings have anything to do with Black Panther. Hell, I never even hear about black people commiting the school shootings. Now if you wanna talk about gang violence in black communities I think that's an issue we absolutely need to tackle and I think due to the nature of the movie, it wasn't able to address that very important aspect of the problem.

    As for people telling white people to stay out of the movie theaters. The vast majority of people don't believe that in the slightest. I have seen such statements and I think they are absolutely fucking ridiculous. For the record, most of the statements I've seen this come from have been from white guilt SJWs. Which is a whole other issue.

    There are a few things I found empowering about this movie. 1. It's celebratory in a lot of ways. It's not a movie showing black people fighting against oppression like in Malcolm X or Hidden Figures. It's a movie of black people excelling without losing their culture. It's a vision (minus the vibranium of course) of what could be if we keep working towards it. 2. It shows a clear way forward. We as human beings need to work together and stop letting culture divide us. We should still keep our cultures of course but that shouldn't exclude us from standing side by side. It also inspired me to work towards a future where I can help the people in my communities that are struggling. 3. Hollywood has type casted and stereotyped black people for a long time. Black people have been relegated to token roles and only occassionally given the spotlight. This is a movie of almost an entirely black cast that was not only well received but is also the second fastest selling movie of all time. Hollywood was wrong and it feels great.

    As for your complaints about the movie, I certainly see where you're coming from. I don't necessarily agree on all your points, but I don't believe your opinions are unfounded.
    I'd upvote you if I could. This was exactly the kind of reply I was hoping to see here. 10/10 for you!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •