My Warcraft Crackpot Theory

Just wanna get this out of my system. No real hard logic behind it, just my headcanon.

- Warcraft 3 is about to get a remaster/remake. It will release in a year or so.
    - Warcraft 1+2 are also going to get remasters or even an HD remake, that will release after Warcraft 3.
    - Warcraft 4 will be announced at Blizzcon 2020 and release in 2022. It's expansion will release in 2023.
    - World of Warcraft has 3 more expansions left until they stop all production: Bfa, and two more (to be released in 2018, 2020, and 2022 respectively)
    - World of Warcraft 2 will launch in 2024, the 20th anniversary of WoW and the 30th anniversary of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans. Warcraft 4 will be used to create another overarching story for it just like with the original and WC3.

I don't believe WoW will be here forever, this isn't because I have malice for the game or the company, on the contrary I love everything Blizzard. I just think that the game, due to naturally getting less popular over time (as every game does) and the combination of less story to pull from and severe engine limitations (WoW can still largely only draw power from a single core, it's multi-threaded but only barely) will only present a growing detriment to the game.

I doubt remakes will ever happen; Blizzard has been adamant that they'd rather develop a new game and exploring new ideas than waste time remaking a game they've already made. At best, WC3 might get a remaster with high rez textures and POSSIBLY new models, but that's it.

There won't be a WoW 2; Blizzard wouldn't want to fragment the playerbase like Sony did with EQ2. They'll just keep going on. Blizzard doesn't need millions of subscribers to support WoW.

If blizzard cared about the overarching story from previous games they wouldn't have retconned the hell out of them time and time again to make things work in WoW. With the close of legion all WC3 loose ends are pretty much tied up. Even then, most of the story for the last few expansions has been created in WoW just using a tiny bit of backstory from the RTS games.

If blizzard cared about engine limitations they would have rebuilt the WoW engine a long time ago. They don't care, the game runs well enough on a wide range of machines, they really don't care about the few people trying to max everything and get 4k 60 fps in a raid.

I also don't think you understand the scope of WoW. The game can continue to get less popular for a freaking decade from now and it will still be a cash cow. When you sell $50 expansion, $25 mounts, server changes, race changes(oh yea guess why allied races really exist?), $15 sub fee(or they get $20 if someone uses a token for same purpose). The game could drop to 1 mil full time subs and they would still be making an ass load of money on it. And they ain't no where near dropping to 1 mil.

The fact blizzards entire store broke when they launched BFA preorders should be clear to you, WoW isn't going anywhere. But yea, cool story bro on saying what people have been claiming since cata.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-02-21 at 08:57 PM.