Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Sudden constant BSOD

Hey guys,

My pc has been running smoothly for about a year but suddenly today it won’t stop blue screening. I had a total of 7 blue screens so far, 4 memory management and 3 unexpected kernel. I can’t get any information off because it keeps blue screening after I login. My pc was fine this morning and now it’s unusable. Any possible fixes?

AMD 1700
    MSI carbon motherboard
    Hyperx fury ram
    Crucial SSD
    Asus gtx 1070

Did you change anything, software/updates/physical hardware changes?

Could be many things, hardware failure, burnt out partition on your SSD, bad driver update, bad windows 10 update if you haven't done the registry edits to prevent it from auto updating in the background, virus or malware ect.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Did you change anything, software/updates/physical hardware changes?
    I kept putting off my windows update. After the first blue screen it updated itself automatically

First thing should probably be clearing CMOS.

But after that, as you probably didn't change any settings, hardware failure seems quite unlikely. But to be sure, you could try re-seating the memory and try with only 1 stick incase it's your ram. You could dowload Memtest and boot with it to check if it truly is memory or not.

Also, if it's stable in BIOS/UEFI enviroment? Maybe try booting in safe mode incase it's some software bug.

Though if nothing works, I suspect it's either Windows update fucked it up or your SSD is borked.

My old computer would bluescreen and reboot instantly when I tried to launch games, the first time was when I was playing WoW and it just restarted for no reason. I thought maybe my graphics card was dying since it only happened when I tried playing games but it worked fine in another machine. I suspect a background windows update messed with the drivers since it was an old 4870 and just may not be compatible with Win 10, reinstalling windows did not help as when you install it it has to install the latest version... and the machine I tested my card in still was on 7.

2nd on clearing the CMOS, some motherboards will retain power for up to 30 min even without a battery in them.
    Last edited by Zergin8r; 2018-02-22 at 04:02 AM.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Looks like I’ll try doing the CMOS thing:/ I’ll hate for my SSD to be broke

Odds of an SSD actually failing are not great... most have redundant cells that they can migrate information to if a cell is detected as going bad beforehand, and many drives now have an advertised life expectancy exceeding 100 years.