Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Which is exactly what happened to Jordan Klepper when he attended a school shooting simulation as a "good guy with a gun."

Even in a simulation with paintballs, trained police saw his gun and shot him down.

Lets be fair, that is a comedy show who has an extremely liberal intended audience. I am not saying the daily show doesn't occasionally produce valuable journalism, but I have never see then produce anything that did anything but mock a conservative position. Lets get informed through experts, not comedians.

Now the base finding here is probably essentially correct, but the methods to produce it were extremely different from reality. For one thing mass shooter simulators are inherently extremely unrealistic, because you know before hand that there will be a mass shooter, and generally what the parameters will be. This is the single biggest problem when this actually happens, and the hardest thing to simulate. I know from personal experience that when guns start going off there is always a massive amount of confusion as to what is happening an where. The more you know about the situation, the faster and more effectively you can react. In a simulator you have a lot of information, in reality you have little to none.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    Trump actually didn't say arm all the teachers, that's a media lie that has been spreading like wildfire. He actually said maybe if we armed around 20% of the teachers that would help. Still could be a bad idea, and if the good guy with a gun idea doesn't work, how about a panic button installed in every classroom that allows all the doors on the school to instantly close/lock and bulletproof windows to come down to secure the building? something defensive that would limit any potential shooters from entering any classroom? the police would still have to be dispatched to remove the shooter, but if he cant get through then maybe he'll be deterred.

Either that or raise the age limits on guns and ban bump stocks.
    See what I just said above for why arming even 20% of teachers is a really bad idea. There are about 3.2 million full time teachers in the US, so we are talking about adding 640,000 guns to schools. It is far easier to train people how to clear rooms or conduct SWAT style raids then it is to react to an active shooter, due to the reasons I talked about earlier in this post. This is more people then the entire US Army, which is an organization that devotes about 80% of its time to training, and I can personally vouch for the fact that at least 70% of them are still completely incompetent when it comes to handling weapons (Granted, most of the training isn't weapons training, but weapons training is required for everyone at least twice a year).

As for panic buttons, the concept sounds ok, but the logistics sounds like a nightmare. The money spent on that would be much better spent doing better funding for low income school districts, which I guarantee you would have a far bigger impact on gun violence then bulletproofing everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Lets be fair, that is a comedy show who has an extremely liberal intended audience. I am not saying the daily show doesn't occasionally produce valuable journalism, but I have never see then produce anything that did anything but mock a conservative position. Lets get informed through experts, not comedians.
    Liberal or not shouldn't matter it's if what he's saying is correct. Did he not back it up with good evidence?

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Liberal or not shouldn't matter it's if what he's saying is correct. Did he not back it up with good evidence?
    It is like you didn't read the rest of my post. What he is saying is essentially correct, but for all the wrong reasons. He is a comedian, not a journalist, and he has an agenda to prove. If you want to convince people, you generally have to site sources that both parties agree are credible, or else you are only going to convince people that already agree with you.

It's cool guys, they already have their branding for recruiting armed teachers prepped and ready to go!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    It is like you didn't read the rest of my post. What he is saying is essentially correct, but for all the wrong reasons. He is a comedian, not a journalist, and he has an agenda to prove. If you want to convince people, you generally have to site sources that both parties agree are credible, or else you are only going to convince people that already agree with you.
    I think the underlying point is true though.

There's a lot of chaos in an active shooter event. Adding more people with more guns to the mix can only end badly.
    Putin khuliyo

> armed, trained deputy specifically hired to protect the school failed to save the school
    > arming teachers that are there to teach. not to gun down shooters, will protect the school

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    > armed, trained deputy specifically hired to protect the school failed to save the school
    > arming teachers that are there to teach. not to gun down shooters, will protect the school
    Shut up, stop thinking about it. Don't ask questions. JUST THROW MORE GUNS AT THE PROBLEM AND EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE : |

Militarizing our classrooms. We've fucking lost it.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

At this point Trump should just want to add Tesla coils to schools to shock all of the evil gunners. Perhaps a moat and some crocodiles will also protect the children.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Its funny how he didnt even suggest simple fixes like metal detectors (annoying but no one batted an eye about putting them in inner city schools), keeping the gates locked at school (i remember someone mentioned how easy it was for them to wonder on campus. I remember in middle school all exists were secured except one through the main office. My high school was a bit more open, teachers had take turns sitting at exits that couldnt be closed in case of emergencies. Admin would ride ride up and down the street was on in golf carts and we had 2 officers on site. My description makes it sound like a bad school but it was in a good subur1 - the school was massive though. Oddly enough at the private school I attended for a bit you could sneak on and off campus whenever you wanted to). Anyway, do simple shit like looking gates and install metal defectors before you go arming kids.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Not everyone watches movies or plays videogames though.

Trump has always been a known workaholic that works non-stop ever since he was a teen. Very possible he never even went to a cinema.
    You are talking about the host and producer of a tv show who because of that was in contact about the thing you say he probably has no knowledge of? It's not like you often make sense but god damn that's a new level of stupid, even for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Mutlple news sites say he was confronted and that's when it stopped

Pierson set off one of the devices, but killed himself just one minute and 20 seconds after entering the building because he knew a sheriff's deputy assigned to the school was closing in, Arapahoe County Sheriff Grayson Robinson said at a news conference.[/I]
    ^ Just pointing out to you the part where you contradicted yourself in the space of one post.

P.S. Snopes cited no less than three sources lol. "Learn to read"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.