Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Arming teachers fixing nothing. Its idiotic and dystopian. For one just, just think about what they are implying...our schools are so bad that they require armed teachers. A place of learning fulled with nothing but children requires armed personnel. How many other civilian (hell even most government buildings have a resource officer or rented cop at best) require their workers to be armed? Are there really no alternatives? There are but no ones that would make the NRA money.

The second point is its proposed that only a few of these teachers are armed...so like in Parkland the shooter just avoids those areas or in other cases shoots who they want to shoot before killing themself/being gunned down. Nothing changed.

Third, it does not address mass shootings outside of schools. You know like Vegas, Pulse, Aurora, San Bernardino.

Fourth, if they really wanted to ban bump stocks then they would have done it months ago. The current administration and Congress can pull BS out of their collective asses like repealing child insurance, repealing the individual mandate, fucking up the budget, but banning something that should have never been legal in the first place takes 6 months?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    I first went deer hunting in a northern Wisconsin winter at 11, I kinda wish I had been older. Most of what I remember of that trip was that it was crazy cold, miserable, and my grandfather was a jackass. My point though is why 21? What actual, concrete, definable difference is it going to make? Is there any reason, whatsoever, to believe that the change will impact the mass shooting rate at all? I don't want a trophy victory that people can point at to say "Look, we did something" when it doesn't actually have any effect. I want concrete changes that make a difference. Gun control victories are few and hard-fought, it's a waste to kick the hornet's nest on the topic and piss off gun rights advocates if what you're doing isn't actually saving lives.
    It means that teenages going through a point in their life where they're basically defined as irrational and hormonal don't have the ability to legally buy a gun, which is a good start. Adults committing mass murder with guns is another issue, but we don't need to allow 16 y/o kids the ability to buy a gun when they're really not responsible enough for it. Either that, or say they ARE responsible enough for a gun, but also voting, drinking, smoking, etc. Either they are or they aren't, but playing this yes and no game should really end.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    It means that teenages going through a point in their life where they're basically defined as irrational and hormonal don't have the ability to legally buy a gun, which is a good start. Adults committing mass murder with guns is another issue, but we don't need to allow 16 y/o kids the ability to buy a gun when they're really not responsible enough for it. Either that, or say they ARE responsible enough for a gun, but also voting, drinking, smoking, etc. Either they are or they aren't, but playing this yes and no game should really end.
    See, that I agree with. My issue is not with age restrictions, but the random shotgun nature of them. You have to be 16 for this, 18 for that, 19 for this other thing, and 21 for this... and there's little rhyme or reason to which is which. Why are people allowed the very adult responsibility of owning and operating a car at 16 (and car accidents kill a LOT of people every year) but they can't normally be held criminally responsible as an adult until 18? We literally say that they can drive a car before we feel they're capable of understanding that it's bad to kill someone with it. Why can a person enlist in the US army at 18 if they aren't responsible enough to own a gun until 21?

If the US wants to define 21 as the age where a person is considered responsible, that's fine, but be consistent about it. Arbitrarily changing the number for a single specific thing as a reactionary response just leads to stupid.

http://www.businessinsider.com/veter...18-2?r=UK&IR=T

Even veterans are pointing out how comically stupid the idea of arming teachers is. Because it is truly comically stupid.

lol of course... the NRA's goal is to increase guns.

15+ Year Old Account
    If a potential “sicko shooter” knows that a school has a large number of very weapons talented teachers (and others) who will be instantly shooting, the sicko will NEVER attack that school. Cowards won’t go there...problem solved. Must be offensive, defense alone won’t work!
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...60169194229761

You can't make this up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I'd love to know what he means by "must be offensive". The point of having armed people at schools is to defend, not to attack. Does he think those armed at the school are actively going out to find this "sicko"?

Barring that what he said is mostly stupid, it gets even dumber when you pick it apart.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    See, that I agree with. My issue is not with age restrictions, but the random shotgun nature of them. You have to be 16 for this, 18 for that, 19 for this other thing, and 21 for this... and there's little rhyme or reason to which is which. Why are people allowed the very adult responsibility of owning and operating a car at 16 (and car accidents kill a LOT of people every year) but they can't normally be held criminally responsible as an adult until 18? We literally say that they can drive a car before we feel they're capable of understanding that it's bad to kill someone with it. Why can a person enlist in the US army at 18 if they aren't responsible enough to own a gun until 21?

If the US wants to define 21 as the age where a person is considered responsible, that's fine, but be consistent about it. Arbitrarily changing the number for a single specific thing as a reactionary response just leads to stupid.

21 is the minimum age where you can purchase alcoholic beverages but not necessarily the age where you can consume it. For example your family may give you an alcoholic beverage in the privacy of your home legally in certain states.

The restrictions on driving a car vary by state. Age for statutory rape varies by state.

Federal law prohibits selling a "long gun" to anyone under 18, but there is no law stating how old you need to be to posses such a gun. Even if the law is changed so that you need to be 21 to purchase a gun, what's to stop your NRA gun nut from giving his 12 year old a rifle / assault rifle, nothing,
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2018-02-22 at 08:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    I'd love to know what he means by "must be offensive". The point of having armed people at schools is to defend, not to attack. Does he think those armed at the school are actively going out to find this "sicko"?

Barring that what he said is mostly stupid, it gets even dumber when you pick it apart.
    Yeah, not the best idea to go on the offensive, shooting instantly, when you think a kid has a gun. Hopefully kids take the idea of not bringing toy guns to school more seriously.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post

Considering he also wrote that the guns should be consealed and only about 20% of teachers would be armed i wonder how they will be able to instantly shoot someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    I prefer what some of the school districts and cities did around where I live a few years ago.

Which is they expand the local collage campus police force to included all the city's schools and constructed a police dispatch station on the larger campuses.

Keeps the the teachers as teachers while providing a rapid response encase of a shooter.
    Now this makes more sense than giving a 3rd grade math teacher a gun and asking him to be John McClain.

This is just trying to pass the blame on to the teachers. "That teacher didn't want a gun, it's his fault!" "That teach wasn't properly trained, it's her fault!"

Anything to not blame the guns that are the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    What then?
    Doh, more guns of course! Then higher capacity magazines, then fully automatic weapons, then heavy weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Doh, more guns of course! Then higher capacity magazines, then fully automatic weapons, then heavy weapons.
    Gotta get those kids running around like Team Fortress 2 and then blame them for acting like Team Fortress 2 after they act like Team Fortress 2.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    The argument is, in order to protect school children teachers must become killers? Looks pretty broken.
    It's basically, "the government is going to do nothing to protect children so teachers will have to," which is a very shitty argument and is a very bad look for the government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump just cannot catch a break... after his armed guards argument, it turns out an armed guard was at the school... he took a defensive position...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Trump just cannot catch a break... after his armed guards argument, it turns out an armed guard was at the school... he took a defensive position...
    And was suspended without pay and resigned - https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...474889753.html

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    You mean like the CO school shooter who was stopped by an armed deputy sheriff?
    You talking about this one?

While the meme suggested that the shooter was neutralized before he was able to harm anyone, he did in fact shoot one student, 17-year-old Claire Davis, who later died of her injuries (He also shot at other persons at the school but missed hitting them.) The shooter was not actually “confronted” and stopped by an armed school resource officer, but rather he died at his own hand after failing to ignite an improvised weapon as a deputy was closing in on him.
    https://www.snopes.com/arapahoe-scho...ped-armed-sro/

Snopes before you post, bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You talking about this one?

https://www.snopes.com/arapahoe-scho...ped-armed-sro/

Snopes before you post, bro.
    The links at the bottom about the shit alt right is trying to pull is just insane.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    You mean like the CO school shooter who was stopped by an armed deputy sheriff?
    Can’t use that anymore... there was an armed security guard at this shooting... he took a defensive position and didn’t help shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    The links at the bottom about the shit alt right is trying to pull is just insane.
    Saw this as a link

https://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/reaganak47.asp

And more and more I see what old Ronny did and say the more I realise that the Alt Right which seem to praise the guy would if he were alive today saying same things would be called a Californain Hollywood communist.