Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best spec to level with now?

I have a level 100 priest but I leveled them back before WoD. Haven't done the 20-100 in a while, is shadow still the way to go for questing? I plan on healing my way through dungeons along the way but forgot how effective single target nukes were as shadow at the early levels. Does Disc or even Holy get the job done anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorkin View Post
    I have a level 100 priest but I leveled them back before WoD. Haven't done the 20-100 in a while, is shadow still the way to go for questing? I plan on healing my way through dungeons along the way but forgot how effective single target nukes were as shadow at the early levels. Does Disc or even Holy get the job done anyways?
    i leveled my void elf from 1-110 as disc, it wasn't the worst thing in the world? but shadow is certainly better for speed leveling. The only good thing about disc is that you literally can't die / the single target is okay. The AoE is a lot slower though.

I found in dungeons i could increase the speed of the dungeon significantly by adding damage as disc. (my dps vs a 0 dps healer was > my dps as shadow over another damage dealer)

idk if people do the dungeon grind still but holy nova is pretty op aoe but I havnt leveled since the start of this expansion

Deleted
    im leveling priest just now, went as shadow from level 20 and i was healing as holy, went disc to just check it out once and daaaaamn, im staying disci all the time xD aye you will have lack of aoe but great onetarget. I love it for questing.

Deleted
    As long as you make good use of the void eruptions, shadow is better. I levelled as disc quite a lot though, it felt better mob to mob when I couldn't AoE much.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    As long as you make good use of the void eruptions, shadow is better. I levelled as disc quite a lot though, it felt better mob to mob when I couldn't AoE much.
    I've tried a bit to quest as Shadow and I felt it was a lot more slowly than in Holy, mainly because building up insanity is insanely (badum tss) long and painful, just to get to the point of VoidErupt'ing the life away from the mobs.

Plus, low levels areas are not really crowded with mobs so you can't really "AoE", and if I'm trying to take a lot of mobs anyway, I'm taking a lot of damage and I have to cast Shield on CD (thus building insanity even more slowly).

At least Holy and Disc have a bigger single target burst ...

I alternated between shadow and disc. At 100 i went total shadow for the artifact. worked out pretty well.

TBH they are all good.

I did 10-110 at holy, rocking damage, good aoe, quite difficult to kill. I didn't care for squishy shadow soloing. Disc you just don't die.

If I was leveling a priest now, I'd do it as Holy. You can heal yourself, and Holy Fire and Smite deal pretty decent damage while Holy Nova could easily handle any AoE you'd need. Holy Word: Chastise hits pretty hard as well, but it does have the 1 minute cooldown though Serendipity helps with that.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy priest.
    Holy nova spam.

Not only great aoe damage but single target damage is quite good.
    also you are a healer so you are unkillable unless you pull 20+ mobs and even then you can keep yourself up.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

I found Shadow to kill a lot faster than Disc (from 100-110). When I tried Disc, it just felt sooooooo slooooooow killing any mobs. The key to Shadow, of course, is getting talents to get you into voidform as quickly as possible. When you are not in voidform, you kill a little faster than Disc, but not by much. When in voidform, you kill about 5x the speed of Disc. So overall, it was a much faster pace.

Dungeons sucked though...was very embarrassing how little DPS I did because Shadow is not very good at burst damage. My recommendation - Shadow for world questing and Disc for dungeons

Just leveld my void elf 20-80 i would go holy then at 80 shadow started to pick up alot and remember 91 101 you can buy boe epics for massive boost. At 101 i bought legendary and all boe i could find it was awesome went 101- 110 i few hours

Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post
    i leveled my void elf from 1-110 as disc, it wasn't the worst thing in the world? but shadow is certainly better for speed leveling. The only good thing about disc is that you literally can't die / the single target is okay. The AoE is a lot slower though.

I found in dungeons i could increase the speed of the dungeon significantly by adding damage as disc. (my dps vs a 0 dps healer was > my dps as shadow over another damage dealer)
    I found that shadow was actually slower for a long time. Mindflay as your basic filler felt horrible at lower levels. Sure void eruption could wipe a room when you had max insanity but that really didn't feel like much till MUCH later. I felt like disc was better dmg with smite and penance till almost lvl 80. But about the point where you get shadow word death and a second charge for it things changed drastically.

Holy 1-69 (now at 69). Tried disc, not much faster than holy. Tried shadow past 65, it's faster now when I have voidform and twin SW:death.

Still, I love leveling as dungeon healer, made me find and appreciate AutomaticJak and learned how crap half the tanks tanks are.

10+ Year Old Account
    I levelled as holy from 100. Quite literally just pull all the mobs throw a renew on yourself and spam holy nova. Easy.

I gotta give it to Holy, I think its slightly faster than Disc. I tried out all three up to level 40, and Holy was the fastest/best to me. Shadow was just too slow early on, prob get better later. Disc was solid, can't die but you rely too much on Penance. Holy has awesome smite and Holy Fire, which is instant now. But the key part is that Holy has the only spammable AoE via Holy Nova. It basically takes no mana so it's the new Arcane Explosion. Spam that to finish quests faster.

I would say the only thing missing from Holy is PW:Shield. But with the healing, it doesn't really matter in the end.

The best might be the one that feels fun when you play it.

Disc.

Shadow is pretty good, you can definitely do more damage to multiple mobs.

Disc... you're basically immortal though. I feel that more than makes up for the decrease in damage. I regularly take on an elite plus a group of mobs all at the same time with it barely scratching my HP. If I have to pick up items from somewhere like a cave, you can just casually stroll through, picking up the items, with a gang of a dozen mobs chasing you and trying (and failing) to hurt you or slow you down.

I swear I've not even died once yet since switching over specs 30 levels ago.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Deleted
    shadow, kill a mob, build up insanity than pull everything in sight and kill it with void eruption

7+ Year Old Account
    I had a good time leveling as Disc. They will love you in dungeons since your dps is very high and you can keep everyone alive with relative ease. Shadow and Holy Priest have far better aoe capabilities though. Drawing hordes of mobs to you with dots will take longer to kill but it's more relaxing as you won't die.