Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Troggdor View Post
    What is some of the absolute dumbest stuff you did back in the day before you really knew what was going on?

I remember a few things
    - not realizing I could vendor things for money and just deleting everything out of my bags. Got to Westfall and didnt have the money to fly back to stormwind
    - using a white quality staff on my warrior because it did more dps than the weapon I had on
    - buying white quality weapons from a vendor because thats where I thought they all came from. The farther the zones progressed, the better weapons that would be available
    - leveling as a full fire build mage not as frost/arcane
    - focusing or geting gear with highest armour/stamina because what other games of the time tought me was the more stamina/armour you have the more unkillable you are on low levels (1- hm +/-30) was often wearing white pices from vendors just because they had higher armour instead for example +1/+2 int

I made a level 4 gnome warrior (level 4 is when you learned charge) and ran all the way to Org. Took forever. I would die outside the gates where people were dueling, and then I would wait for one of them to lose a duel, rez, charge, and pray that I landed the hit for like 3 damage. It was awesome when it worked but I think I probably missed 80% of my swings, and you only get 1 shot before they kill you again.

I was a rogue and raided all the way through aq40. Guild fell apart at huhu. I can't even believe I used to play like this, but I would play with both hands on my keyboard when I raided. Some of my skills I used 1-5 on, and the others were things like 9 0 - - =. I remember = was backstab, and delete I had set to toggle autoattack. I'd use a and d to turn the camera. Sometimes I'd have to take my right hand off the keyboard to use the mouse, but once the running around stopped I'd go back to having both hands on my keyboard. Thinking back all these years this just fucking astounds me that I was able to raid like this and do moderately well.

edit: the other things I remember is I played on one of the old school iMacs that had a mouse with only left click. The first hour I played the game I thought I was doomed because I couldn't right click people to get quests or to loot things. I finally learned that if I pressed I think it was apple+click it would right click, and I did this until I got a new mouse around when TBC came out. This means I had to keyboard turn the entire time.

Honestly, this is downright the most embarrassing stuff ever, but WoW was my first game and I didn't know how to use the chat. Like honestly, what is easier?

I remember playing on the first zone and someone asking me something and not being able to answer. Just moved around like an idiot.

Edit: naturally it did not take me a lot of time to figure it out, but those frantic few seconds are burned in my mind forever...

Deleted
    Needed on everything because I thought being 'greedy' was bad. I was taught not to be greedy as a child.

Note: I was young when I started playing, and I was a hunter so people basically just accepted it anyway. It took a while for people to correct me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
    Needed on everything because I thought being 'greedy' was bad. I was taught not to be greedy as a child.

Note: I was young when I started playing, and I was a hunter so people basically just accepted it anyway. It took a while for people to correct me.
    I think need and greed were named counter-intuitively. A person with no idea would not be sure which was which just from context.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by xenophics View Post
    Honestly, this is downright the most embarrassing stuff ever, but WoW was my first game and I didn't know how to use the chat. Like honestly, what is easier?

I remember playing on the first zone and someone asking me something and not being able to answer. Just moved around like an idiot.

Edit: naturally it did not take me a lot of time to figure it out, but those frantic few seconds are burned in my mind forever...

I actually did this too albiet for about 10 mins. I think it was because a lot of popular games at the time had different hot keys for all/team chats..like Y or T and stuff like that.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    I think need and greed were named counter-intuitively. A person with no idea would not be sure which was which just from context.
    Ikr, I was kicked from dung groups more often than I'd like to remember actually...

dumbest thing i did was to grind rank 14 in pvp.That was like 10 hours of arathi basin per day in my realm.i was a total zombie during the whole ordeal and back in the day you even lost the title the next week. Its would have been more worth it if they didnt recycle the title as a reward for the rated BGs.Its not even that unique anymore.

Deleted
    Swam / ran all the way along the coast from Darkshore to Azshara as I thought i can find hidden artifacts and epics. Think was level 12 or so. Put all the points i had in 1 Tree untill level 59 and i am pretty sure i needed on alot of items that werent even good for my class.
    Last edited by mmoc15f92c5277; 2018-03-16 at 05:32 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I remember my first character playing with my brother and a friend.
    We had no idea of the concept of a tank and that you could/should run dungeons as a group of 5. When we hit 30 we started to clear Gnomeregan (Paladin (me), Rogue and Hunter). It took as several wipes and around 6 hours to clear the dungeon, but it was so much fun I still remember nearly everything over a decade ago.

Trying to find the right tactic to kill each mob group and boss was a lot of fun.

dumbest thing ?
    probably think i could do a 40 man raid on dialup with 512mb ram

Ninja looted a wrath t2 helm from nefarian i was 11 okay!
    i was a hunter.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not understanding that after you blind someone as Rogue, you would exit combat after a few seconds and could re-stealth before the blind duration ended.
    When I found out how it worked I was kinda embarrassed.
    --- https://www.youtube.com/citanoo
    --- http://www.twitch.tv/Citano
    * Former retail raider of <Pacifism>, <Forte> and <Envy>
    * Part of classic guild <APES> from day 1

Deleted
    Swimming from hillsbrad to wetlands so I could gank my own lvl range without dying 20 times in arathi highlands. Hell I must've stayed lvl 25 for weeks.

-I initially leveled a shaman in vanilla because my brother told me they were insanely good.
    —I rerolled a mage at about level 25 because I was mace and shield/casting while putting points into enhance and thought my brother trolled me and that shaman were garbage

- I deleted my first character ever because I ran too far and into the next zone and died upon rez (higher level mobs).. thought I was just stuck forever
    Last edited by Omfgjames; 2018-04-08 at 02:20 AM.

Rolled need on Force of Will (a tanking trinket) as a Priest, since I didn't have any other trinkets at the time.

1. I once formed a naxx 40 raid as a lvl 27 warrior. I collected a group of misfit toys by claiming that we were headed to naxx 40 to get gold and gear (which i found out by getting handed 50g and when i asked how he got so much gold, he told me he got it from naxx).

Our band of retarded new players all started heading north after searching on the internet "where is naxx?"

So we all started hugging the northern wall of redridge mountains and eventually found ourselves at the little plank bridge thing into burning steppes. If you've ever ran through there you'll remember that theres a pack of ogres and dragonkin just about 200 yards past the plank.

A 40 man 'naxx' raid vs a bunch of lvl 50 ogres.

Yeah, we got wiped and our raid disbanded.

2. Very early on you could fall into the great forge in Ironforge. Guess what I did? Yeah, died, didnt know what a spirit rezzer was. I remember 9 year old me literally sobbing uncontrollably at the fact that i had lost my lvl 16 warrior. Deleted it and made a new one but was too caught up over my old character that i stopped playing for months.
    Last edited by Sliske; 2018-04-08 at 10:00 PM.

Well, I was like 10 years old, not understanding English and playing Paladin. I was using spells, judgments, seals etc. without pretty much knowing what they do. Took me like 30 levels to figure everything out.

i leveled my very first character as a prot paladin. need i say more?