Page 1 of 45
... LastLast

Iceland proposes ban on male circumcision

http://www.cnn.com/2018/02/20/health...ntl/index.html

Excerpt:

"A proposed bill to ban non-medically required male circumcision on babies and children in Iceland is receiving backlash from religious communities.
    'Those procedures are unnecessary, done without their informed consent, non-reversible and can cause all kinds of severe complications, disfigurations and even death,' said Icelandic Progressive Party MP Silja Dögg Gunnarsdottir. She said a child should be old enough to give 'informed consent" for the procedure and defended the proposed ban as being about protecting children's rights, adding that it would "not go against the religious right of their parents.'

The European Jewish Congress (EJC), condemned the bill saying the ban would be an 'effective deterrent' that would 'guarantee that no Jewish community will be established' in the country.

'Iceland would be the only country to ban one of the most central, if not the most central rite in the Jewish tradition in modern times,' the EJC statement said, adding that this would 'attack Judaism in a way that concerns Jews all over the world.'

One in three men globally are estimated to be circumcised, with the majority for religious and cultural reasons."

Thoughts?

Any country that wants to be seen as civilized should ban it.

Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    I don't think any countries have banned it yet, have they? It says in the article Iceland would be the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    I don't think any countries have banned it yet, have they?
    Probably not, but they should.

Deleted
    If people wanna cut of part of their weenie after 18, that's fine. I mean, they disfigure themselves with piercings and tattoos too.

Kids should not be mutilated like that, no matter your culture or religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    If as a grown man want to have skin snipped off my penis then I should be able to get the skin snipped. The government has no business in my pant telling me I can or can not. It's an over reach.

They should ban all cosmetic surgery then too. No more boob or nose jobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I have a good feeling people that are circumcised or people that aren't, are going to be taking over the thread and bringing in a debate about circumcision that MMO-C.com has had about 50 times already..

So HEADS UP m8

That's great. Genital mutilation is barbaric, and religious nutjobs should have no influence on lawmaking whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    If as a grown man want to have skin snipped off my penis then I should be able to get the skin snipped. The government has no business in my pant telling me I can or can not. It's an over reach.

They're not banning it for grown men. I also found this: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18793842

in some cases for medical reasons should be the only time it is done, if not you are abusing your children period.

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    I don't think any countries have banned it yet, have they? It says in the article Iceland would be the only one.
    Any religious initiation ritual that requires permanent bodily modification of any sort on a minor, especially an infant, should be illegal.

That's not the problem, the problem is forcing newborns into getting circumcised. That should absolutely be banned.

Hmm...

What did it say?

A proposed bill to ban non-medically required male circumcision on babies and children in Iceland is receiving backlash from religious communities.
    babies and children
    Are you a baby or a child?

Well they should, unless it's to cover a disfigurement.

7+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure if jewish folk wanna have a job in iceland, not being able to chop off their sons foreskin wont stop them, or theyll travel elsewhere to do it and come back again. Dont think this should be done at the behest of the parents if possible, only if the kid wants to do it himself.

I'm not surprised. Of course it should be banned. And of course people should reserve the right to circumcision if they want to later on in life. It's mutilating infants really and without a doubt it will eventually be outlawed around the world, the question is when.

Yet again, Iceland is not afraid to speak with the voice of reason, disregarding religious fanatics.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

Hopefully it goes through. Voluntary mutilation can take place when the person is an adult.

It's about time. Circumcision should be a personal choice.

I ended up having all daughters, but if I had a son, I would have refused the procedure for him.

Honest question: How many men have ever said, "You know, I really wish I hadn't been circumsized."?

They want to argue "informed consent", are they also banning the vaccination of children until 18? No informed consent there. What about banning feeding your child meat? After all, they didn't give their informed consent and make the choice whether they want to be vegetarian or vegan. Or gluten-free for that matter. So should we ban wheat from children as well? None of these things are reversible. You cannot go back in time and unvaccinate yourself or un-eat the meat.