Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is there a major tipping point for America?

For all of the things that America is doing that the world doesn't agree with, we have seen other nations around the world begin to turn their back on America more and more due to its behavior.

Is there a breaking point where the majority of nations start to refuse buisness with America? Has it already started to happen?

It seems like the country is becoming more and more isolated from the rest of the world, content to fight its own internal battles while the rest of the world continues to move forward.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    For all of the things that America is doing that the world doesn't agree with, we have seen other nations around the world begin to turn their back on America more and more due to its behavior.

Is there a breaking point where the majority of nations start to refuse buisness with America? Has it already started to happen?
    Who are the other countries for the rest of the world to run to?

China and Russia?

They aren't exactly "paragons of virtue," especially when it comes to their own governance and especially when it comes to censorship, oligopoly and surveillance; things the US is catching heat over these days.

You can say that the US' system of governance is bogged down by infighting and partisan politics, but it's far better to have two parties fighting one another and vying for people's votes (meaning that they ostensibly have to help people) than it is for a singular party, as is the case in Russia and China, to just do whatever the hell they want because they're the only show in town.

This whole "Trump is an ostracizing incompetent ass" business will pass because he can't declare himself president for life. There's a rejection of Trump's positions and efforts both in the government (the republicans have a majority and still can't get shit done) and in the American public. For all that the Trumpette's flock to Trump's defense at every little bullshit thing he does or says the average person can see the fissures and can see what an idiot Trump has been and continues to be and the mounting smoke building under his feet with all the investigations. He has no legitimacy left for the average American.

In short: This too shall pass.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

It seems like the country is becoming more and more isolated from the rest of the world, content to fight its own internal battles while the rest of the world continues to move forward.

Hasn't happened yet.

People all over the world have got used to Trump now, he doesn't shock as much as he used to.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Trump is a docile puppy compared to some ruling assholes out there, hes neither completely stupid nor incompetent, when you get a real stupid, incompetent and worst of all evil (which trump isnt) president in the white house, americans will know, right now? americans are just enjoying the outrage and the victim roleplay
    "Welcome to MMO-C, where most posters would rather play semantics, pick faults or just flat out fail at reading comprehension so they can argue with you over an issue that wasn't even in the original post."
    -Kronik85

That's not exactly how world politics work. And things aren't as bad as you've been lead to believe.

7+ Year Old Account
    This thread, coupled with some of your other posts, exposes that you're just out to nation bash. The US is fine and will be fine. You don't have to like us and we don't have to care.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

People all over the world have got used to Trump now, he doesn't shock as much as he used to.
    I wouldn't say that he doesn't shock as much anymore, that would imply that he's doing better than before- he is a joke everywhere around the world. Both for commoners and politicans. It's more like they learned how to deal with it and know it won't change (for a while). So I'd say I agree with the first part "they got used to him".

But yeah, that doesn't really stop other nations from dealing with the USA, because at some point Trump won't be there anymore. Most countries are wise enough to consider the long term.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2018-02-24 at 09:20 AM.

Trump shall pass, just like any other president. The houses of Congress will switch parties, just like before. The US isn't at a tipping point, not any more than when Nixon was president and we went through Watergate. And the US survived a civil war, which is waaaaay beyond this.

Imagine being this neurotic.

The premise of this is kinda faulty imo. I mean, what countries have turned their back on America? Sure a few have been open about not liking America's decisions, but no trade deals have been pulled, no military alliances ended, and no intelligence agreements have been rescinded. Literally no country has turned it's back on America.

Onto to the question of where the tipping point is, the tipping point is after another alternative arises. Right now the USA is the supreme world power both economically and militarily. No country can get by while refusing to trade with America. Very few countries can get by without America's military and intelligence support. Any country that tries cutting itself off from the USA is going to have a very, very rough time of it, so until a few of the more major countries out there cut their ties to America and succeed in setting up their own thing then we're not gonna see a tipping point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it sounds pretty obvious, but the next tipping point is just on economic crisis or natural disaster away. Moreso if there's a inept response by the government. Katrina was the tipping point for George Bush.

But then again Trump ... has normalized shitty federal responses to those as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XangXu
    Is there a major tipping point for America?
    Yes! When the driver gives you the pizza, pay the bill and *remember to tip* Simple.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Yes! When the driver gives you the pizza, pay the bill and *remember to tip* Simple.
    I refuse to tip, not my prob that his shitty boss doesn't pay him properly.

I mean think about it, WHY THE FUCK should I pay more on top of the already overpriced prices? If someone asked for a tip I'd literally tell them to "fuck off".

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look, another nation bashing thread about the US. All the cool kids bash the US around here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi
    I mean think about it, WHY THE FUCK should I pay more on top of the already overpriced prices?
    I thought. I think it goes something like this: what do they put on pizza? Anchovies. Anchovies are small fish. What were fish a symbol for? Xtians. What do we print on the money? In God we trust. Charity is a Xtian virtue, you should share that "in God we trust money" in tribute while saying ... Oh, god, I hope they didn't put anchovies on my pizza! I have some extra tin foil, would you care for some?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    What do we print on the money? In God we trust.
    We don't print that on it. We don't even print peopleheads on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoodlord View Post
    No they aren't. But I think you people are in serious denial or are very unaware of the situation around the world.

Trump is not some kind of one-off aberration that other nations can work around or that everyone will forget about after he goes.

China and Russia are dictatorships. However, at least in the case of China they are pragmatic. You can do business with them. They will work with you if they perceive it is in their interest. Trump is a petty scammer: historically he made deals that screw over his partners. We know this. We do not want to work with him.

Additionally, Trump is a powder keg. A mean tweet on twitter and he could go to war. The Chinese and to a lesser extent the Russians do not operate that way. They will use military force for geopolitical objectives but they aren't going to destroy the world because someone was mean to them.
    And all of that ends when Trump is out of office for one reason or another.

Trump is too incompetent and too hated to pull off anything major.

Additionally you have a large number of crazy religous people in the US who are dangerously close to power. The evangelical christians in the US are perceived as being similar to ISIS by the rest of the world.
    Yeah, no.

They're fringe hate groups with no real power. Trump has given them a voice, to be sure... but they're in their last dying spasms.

Also, "like ISIS." Really? That's pretty critically underselling how terrible ISIS is by that comparison. If all ISIS did was protest outside the funerals of dead soldiers instead of... you know, taking over cities and blowing themselves up like they actually do, I think most people would take that switch.

Again, given the choice most would rather work with China. They are greedy, dangerous, illiberal and act only in their own self-interest but they aren't going to blow up the world because the rapture is coming.
    And China is going to go on being greedy, dangerous, illiberal and act in their own self interests. Same with Russia. And that's for the foreseeable future. Nothing in any of those countries spells any kind of change.

As I said. Two parties that have to constantly court hundreds of millions of people to their cause at least have to carry the patina of doing something out of the goodness of their hearts.

Now the republicans have by and large lost that patina, and we're seeing them fail for it. Meanwhile, what has all of the greedy, dangerous, illiberal, self-interested shit that Russia and China has pulled done to ostracize them from their own people? Very little, because their people have no alternative.

I've noticed these threads descend into cries of "nation-bashing" as if Americans were some kind of protected and oppressed class. It isn't about that. I have a mild preference for the US as world leader in cultural terms and mostly was happy with the status quo roughly until the Clinton era (though I thought Bush snr was a better president). I wouldn't be making this statement if i wanted to bash america, the hope is that it gets through to someone over there just how bad the situation is.
    You hear the shit about Trump because it makes easy headlines. Most people are carrying on fairly normally and see that Trump is full of hot air and nothing else. He has done very little to impact the actual direction of the United States in the long run.

So your "concern" and "empirical opinion" isn't necessarily that insightful.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted

The true enemy of Rome is itself. I feel that the US is currently in a downwards spiral. Though I’m sure it can be changed, the changes that need to happen are unlikely to occur because it means renovating a corrupt, broken system. I fear it will get worse before it gets better. But that’s how it tends to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi
    We don't print that on it. We don't even print peopleheads on it.
    Well, there ya go! When you get smote with anchovy laden pizza, you will know the error of your ways. >.>

The US reached a tipping point in 2016. Trust in the establishment has collapsed in the US. 50% of republicans trusted the press in 2000. That fell to zero in 2016. Trust has never been this low in polling history. Trust across the board in all established institutions are way down from government to the media to cops. Trump beat 17 other republicans and won the election because he was the only one attacking the establishment. People that think we didn't reach a tipping point are uninformed about just how far trust in the establishment has fallen.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.