Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I have no problem with it, I got Mortal Kombat for my Sega CD when I was 5 and I'm not a mass murderer who rips spines out of my enemies or decapitates/mutilates anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just another thought on this subject.

Some people, and I'm talking grown people, can't handle games rated for kids such as Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros without getting aggressive/violent. Its really a case-by-case thing. I played a lot of Mario Kart in college, you couldn't play with some people because they couldn't handle getting blue shelled in a kids game.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Just another thought on this subject.

Some people, and I'm talking grown people, can't handle games rated for kids such as Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros without getting aggressive/violent. Its really a case-by-case thing. I played a lot of Mario Kart in college, you couldn't play with some people because they couldn't handle getting blue shelled in a kids game.
    Yep and then you have the adults with addictive personalities playing grinding games at a hindrance to their own RL obligations.

There is definitely not a "one size fits all" when it comes to age, rating of a game and if it's suitable for a person.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play games that involved violence since I was a child and it didn't make me or influence me to anything to anybody. They asked this question and funded studies and found that violent games don't make kids into killers years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's a problem. Teens these days are having babies what's a M rated game going to do? They grow up a lot faster these days than they did say 20 years ago when I was a kid. Everyday they're exposed to mature things whether it's from music, TV, movies, Youtube, or video games. It's impossible to keep the innocence of children these days in a world where they're surrounded by that stuff.

As long as the parents are doing their job as parents, it's fine. Discipline your kids when they get out of line. Quit with that passive bullshit. Show them the consequences of their actions and punish them. It's the best way to learn and they learn fast. When I was like 12 or 13 my uncle gave me GTA 3 for my birthday. I played that game nonstop and it didn't make me into a gangster or some psycho serial killer. That's because my parents did a great job raising me and teaching me about being a good person.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2018-02-26 at 05:46 PM.

I don't have a problem with it, really.

I played GTA and things like that growing up (I'm 28 now) and have never been in trouble with the law/had any kind of tendency to hurt someone. I think most of it comes down to these parents who aren't active in their kids lives, or aren't good role models for their children. My parents taught me right and wrong and that there were consequences for our actions.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    Do you think it is bad? Do you think most teens are not mature enough to handle serious themes or do you feel that they can handle it without any effects to their morals and behavior?

Would you give Mass Effect to a mature JROTC cadet like this one who is serious about a military career?
    https://www.army.mil/article/200902/...orida_shooting

If a JROTC cadet played renegade would we end up having a more ruthless potential soldier or military officer or are they mature enough to understand the Geneva convention?
    Depends on the individual, but then again, that is just like alcohol consumption. Where I live, the limit for driving is 0.8%. I am personally not drunk at all at 0.8% and neither are any grown man who can even just moderately hold their alcohol, but there are little 17 year old girls out there who can't walk straight at 0.8%. These kind of rules are made for the masses, we can't have specific rules for each and every individuals.
    That being said, the amount of people who are seriously affected in a negative way by video games alone is extremely small and most of these cases are people who are not so stable in the first place.

I think that in general people understand that it's just a game and they can make the difference between that and real life. However we do need to be a minimum cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Yep and then you have the adults with addictive personalities playing grinding games at a hindrance to their own RL obligations.

There is definitely not a "one size fits all" when it comes to age, rating of a game and if it's suitable for a person.
    I hate grinding! I loved FFIX! Should RPGs become shorter or easier?