10+ Year Old Account

Dos and donts of future lore-opinion.

Thi s is just my opinion of the story so far and how I think it would work going on.
    Going to just list off with csome explanations after.apologies in advance, kinda sleepy.

First off, dos.
    -campaign that actually finish, quest zones get better and better, and usually don't end with unsolved stories....before the expac ends.

-character life n death. This one is hard to explain but, often times if a character doesn't exist longer than one expac they are introduced in the death of them is usually accepted. Case in point, that nightborne who "dies" in azuna, loved but accepted by the community. I also believe it would have been more accepted if ebornhorn died now rather than his inevitable corruption and death blizzard is hinting at.

-black and white character motives. At the end of the day, no matter how much ppl say they want "gray" characters it's not true. Sylvanas has been painted as evil, saurfang is assumed to be going traitor, anduin is assumed corrupt, Moira is believed to be plotting a coup, and bolvar is believed to be plotting to take over the world.
    In the end, player have often accepted the black and white characterS than the "middle ground " characters.

Offspring- this is more a blizzard issue than community, but c'mon so far only two pp have "replacement " parts. Thrall and Moira. Eventually ppl will die and it's harder to accept that the family line ends with a character. Example, eventho she is not reclaiming lordearon ppl were overjoyed to discover Calia in the priest order hall.

Don'ts---

Open-ended campaign, this is more a wod issue than anything.

Important character death just cause- this shit is old, it started with cairne and blizzard has been doing this to force story progression. If it wasn't for the outcry in wod maive would have suffered the same fate, and worse yet, when it happens to faction leaders the opposite side wants more score evened.

Warmongering leaders-we get it , it's WARcraft, but the stupid "character is suddenly a warmonger" thing is annoying. Jaina has been going back and forth on this and well, garrosh did this from bc to wrath onward.

Deleted
    don't: time travel, alternate universes

10+ Year Old Account
    Do: Introduce new characters.
    Do: Introduce new classes.
    Do: Introduce new races.

Don't: Kill off new characters added to the expansion they are introduced.

DO: Make the alliance an interesting faction.
    Dont: Add more classes.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do: Make more antagonists like the Thunder King or the Grand Magistrix, or even better: the VanCleef.
    Don't: Kill off those people less than 6 months after they are created.

DON'T: Put us against intergalactic devillords of the Final Dimension (aka void lords). I understand that the Void is "evil" to our Azerothian lives but the scale of things get veeeery weird.

Also don't: Explain the creation of the gods. Mistery is important in the fantasy setting - nowadays, the most misterious things are Elune and Hakkar - and they should remain misterious, imo.

Oh, and Ephial, but the mistery there exists due to a lack of good writing.

10+ Year Old Account
    dont:
    time travel
    alternate universe areas
    alternate universe races
    alternate universe heroes
    kill voljin and varian....oh wait.
    add allied races that are not core to the wow universe, ie: vulpera, sethrak, etc.
    pull playable races out of your arse, ie: void elves.

do
    give core-races as allied races. ei: wildhammer, revantusks, ogres, outland orcs, etc.
    create HvsA-quests on Horde side, that dont make you feel like a scumbag in the wrong.
    make Allies appear more grey in their HvsA quests.
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2018-02-25 at 02:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    Do: Introduce new characters.
    Do: Introduce new classes.
    Do: Introduce new races.

Don't: Kill off new characters added to the expansion they are introduced.
    This guy gets it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont:
    - Time travel
    - any more space travel, Argus was fine given its massive amount of lore
    - more elves
    - alternate dimensions of current places I.E. Emerald Dream expac, spirit world expac, Draenor/Outland
    - stop making classes
    - keep making anthropomorphic animals, giving them a portmanteau or pun name of said animal (TUSKarr, VULPera, PANDAren) and calling them races
    - more elf lore
    - only age some characters and not others. Anduin aged like crazy but Dagran jr. and Thrall jr. are still babies?
    - force players to be bad guys to tell a narrative, I.E. Death Knight campaign

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    I think WoW is oversaturated. They should keep progressing a coherent story and not brign up a different random protagonist every damn expansion.
    Yeah not even being sarcastic, I'd take multiple expansions where Blizz doesn't add a new continent but rather updates the old ones and finishes off old storylines and fleshes out lore better.

They can fix the old world, they can do better. Broken Isles is the size of northern Eastern Kingdoms yet feels triple the size. because 50% of the old world is barriers, low res hills and bumps to block out visuals into the next zone over.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    - only age some characters and not others. Anduin aged like crazy but Dagran jr. and Thrall jr. are still babies?
    Well, Anduin is still a teenager, he's a 17yo king. So they haven't aged him. Durak, Thrall's kid, is 4yo or something.

WoW is not a game where you can choose to be either bad or good depending on your mood or whatever, stories are linear. But doing only good things gets really boring at certain point, unless you're into playing lawful good characters. So, unfortunately, the only way to let people do morally grey or even evil things is to force everyone to do them.

However, it shouldn't be random, it should be in line with the story they're trying to tell. Doing something evil is kinda expected from DKs, so their OH story was fine in my book.
    Last edited by ls-; 2018-02-25 at 06:27 PM.

Dont:

[
    The DK campaign was fun as hell(it ended up being kinda pointless but w/e). Not everyone has to be lawful good lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    make Thrall Warchief again
    Let's not and say we did.

Do:
    -Showcase full faction power in questing rather than "heroes" helping locals (Borean Tundra & Dragonblight > Broken Isles)
    -Give races development outside of faction leaders
    -Demote the PC to veteran status. Keep us away from large-scale threats like... I don't know, maybe titans?
    -Put focus back on faction "cores." Currently the Horde is just "Sylvanas and friends." In BfA it's going to be "Sylvanas and Trolls and Friends." Orcs are the backbone of the Horde.
    -More classes that aren't tinkers (Not story, but people felt the need to push against new classes)
    -Create characters with controversial motivations (Garrosh, Sylvanas, WCII Genn, etc.)

Don't:
    -Space travel
    -Void Lords
    -Promote PC to "Champion/Deathlord/Whatever," it robs canon NPCs of much needed development
    -Neutral protagonists (Khadgar et al.)
    -1-dimensional Lawful good characters (Turalyon, Anduin, Baine, etc.)
    -Give spotlight to female characters because it's 2018 and lolgirlpower. There's zero reason for Rastakhan to die just to develop Talanji
    -Alternate Universes
    -Tying everything together ("The Dark thing under Tirisfal that is worse than an Old God" turned out to be an Old God lieutenant)
    -Burning potential story threads for filler (Legion and BfA are guilty of this)
    -Meme Quests (Thanks, Dave Kosak)
    -Overcrowded theme park zones (Broken Isles)
    -Zone-wide stories over continental campaigns (Broken Isles again. Northrend felt much better narrative-wise)
    -Center expansions around small isles that have been retconned into continents. Let's update the actual world and set stories there.
    -Stop killing newly introduced characters, while keeping old ones who have really finished their arc
    -Force the PC into being Lawful Stupid (The DK campaign was a breath of fresh air)
    -Superhero-tier Characters, both in powers and dimensions (Thrall, Malfurion, etc.)
    -"Da Horde be a family bruddamon"
    -resurrect Vol'jin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    I think WoW is oversaturated. They should keep progressing a coherent story and not brign up a different random protagonist every damn expansion.
    That's what they have been doing since day one though, Sargeras and the burning legion have been the big bad behind all of the expansions except Cata and MoP, even then the legion did get mentions in both those expansions. As for the random protagonist, how else would you do it? I would hate for us to fight the same moustache twirling bad guy every expansion and have him slip away at the last minute just for the sake of reminding us who he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

Do:

-Create more polarizing characters and keep the ones we currently have
    -Break up the Alliance a little bit so it doesn't feel like "Human Empire" all the time.
    -Give us more small-scale threats and let us be explorers again.
    -Make more sympathetic antagonists, Elisande was supposed to fill this role in Legion but it didn't really hit the mark.
    -Keep Rastakhan alive and have him unite the Troll tribes with Talanji
    -Keep the factions distinct. Both in terms of playable races but also in terms of ideology/aesthetics.

Don't:

-Bring back removed characters. It doesn't really matter how dumb their deaths were. My opinion of Illidan plummeted in Legion. The only time I would be okay with it is if it's done in such a way that somehow makes them different from their previous iteration(e.g. Nazgrim, Magni)
    -Time travel/AU shenanigans
    -Make lore characters stupidly OP(Thrall, Jaina, Malfurion)
    -Give spotlight to boring do-gooders like Baine.
    -Kill off racial leaders. I'm not saying nobody can die, but it should be done in a mindful way that doesn't make the race feel like it was left to dry. Varian was an example of a good death because his replacement has been foreshadowed since Cataclysm, and his death was meaningful to the story. It was probably the first "good" death since MU Grom.
    -Overdo it with the allied races. I get that people want more playable options but it makes the world feel small if everyone can be divided into two camps
    -End the faction war
    -Make the PC feel like a superhero. Legion got pretty ridiculous in this regard.
    -Turn the Horde into the second "good guy" faction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    Do :

Kill Sylvannas and make Thrall Warchief again

Don't :

Add Troll paladins
    Hey, it's backwards!